Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fellow Personality Cafe users. I recently read an article on brain plasticity in reference to MBTI, and it said it IS possible to change your preferences/tendencies (not including P/J). I'm an ESFJ and would like to become and INTx. Suggestions for lifestyle/thinking changes that would help me achieve this would be much appreciated. Thank you!

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
There is such a thing as brain plasticity, but not to the extent that you can dramatically alter your personality. The only way to do that would be to sustain some sort of brain injury, and you probably wouldn't like the results. We all have things we don't like about ourselves. If you "become" an INTJ, if such a thing is possible, your life will not magically improve. Instead, you have to own your traits and work on them from there.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I don't think you are trying to be INTX, I think you are probably trying to develop some skill, persona, or become more balanced, or something of the like.

Wanting to be another type is like being someone who likes the color blue who doesn't want to like the color blue, it just doesn't make any sense unless there is some greater problem involved.

What are you really asking for?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Less of the anxiety that comes from being an EJ/J
Do you really believe an INTx has an overall less anxiety level than an ESFJ? I'm not an INTx but I truly doubted.
But really, every type can experience anxiety, and I honestly believe the anxiety you're experiencing has very little to nothing to do with your type.

You are who you are; trying to be someone else will not make life easier nor better. Work on becoming a better you rather than someone else.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I was hoping someone might have a more optimistic answer...please help? My life sucks the way it is and I want to change.
Go to the INT* subforums and look at the problems people have there. Basically: Even if it was possible to change your personality type, that wouldn't make your problems go away, but would instead introduce other weaknesses which you still would need to deal with.

The solution isn't to try and be someone else, but to try to be the best "you" you can be. Identify your strengths and weaknesses and play them to your favor.
The best thing you can do, is probably to set - and achieve - goals that are uncomfortable but possible to reach.

Anxiety issues can probably be dealt with by facing your anxieties and realizing that you can cope with most situations even when you're unsure of them from the beginning. Do things that don't come naturally to you, and see that things usually work out just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts