Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you guys but after extensive reading about ADD I can high relate to it and I'm wondering if it's common among ESFPs or just a personality thing.

I'm constantly doing things, I'm impatient, when a task or topic becomes boring I drop it and do some I enjoy, I'm horrible with school work that I find unnecessary and unhelpful and I end up not doing it. I use to get As and Bs during my fresh/soph year in high school, and now my junior year approached I have Cs - notably in my AP classes.

Thoughts?

btw - if you're curious about why I'm labeled as an ESTP, it's because the first few times I've taken the test, I've tested as ESTP. The third time, I was an ESFP, and other ESTPs on this forum has observed me as someone who uses my Feelings in consideration.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just have to say that I LOVE your username! :D

I can totally relate, I'm quite ADD myself. But I also think that it's a question of maturing.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I definetly have many of the traits that are considered ADD or ADHD, but I have never taken a medical test for it or been diagnosed (never taken ritalin either).

"Inattentive symptoms

Fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork Never been a huge fan of homework, so I usually rushed it

Has difficulty keeping attention during tasks or play If it is something I don't like

Does not seem to listen when spoken to directly Nope. I usually listen.

Does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace Depends on the situation

Has difficulty organizing tasks and activities I have no trouble doing it, I just prefer to deal with things as they come up.

Avoids or dislikes tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork) That completely depends. I don't like math, but don't have any problems with any other things

Often loses toys, assignments, pencils, books, or tools needed for tasks or activities All the damn time.

Is easily distracted Yes

Is often forgetful in daily activities Yes

Hyperactivity symptoms:

Fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat I'm usually never still, so yes

Leaves seat when remaining seated is expected Depends on the situation

Runs about or climbs in inappropriate situations Not anymore. Did so when I was younger though.

Has difficulty playing quietly Nope.

Is often "on the go," acts as if "driven by a motor," talks excessively Haha. Yes

Impulsivity symptoms:

Blurts out answers before questions have been completed I'm guilty of that sometimes

Has difficulty awaiting turn Yup, but I can restrain myself

Interrupts or intrudes on others (butts into conversations or games) Not generally"

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Any type can have ADHD/ADD, or even Autism/Asperger, and even both combined.

Generally, the brain of a person with ADHD or ADD is overcompensating for having a naturally now activity level and is why stimulants are used as medicine. However, the result is a person that will seek their stimulation in things they enjoy to keep up the brain activity. So an ISFP with ADD may daydream excessively, and an extrovert such as ESTP with ADHD may often grow restless if nothing's happening. Finding lots of people with ADHD/ADD online on fora like these isn't weird, the drive to keep the mind busy is essentially what ADHD/ADD is. With age Extroverts will become (more) introspective, which really does align itself well with the saying that hyperactivity is something a person with ADHD will outgrow, and looking up a forum or something else to keep the mind busy fits right in to that.

There's nothing contradictory about ESTP and ADHD together.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I don't know if ADD = ESFP but I was once diagnosed with ADD. I have impulse-control issues sometimes. I'd rather be moving around than sitting still - so in classrooms or meetings that can get me in trouble. I have trouble doing passive activities like reading unless I'm in the right zone for it. I have a bad habit of interrupting people if I'm hyper enough.

I did all my schoolwork in college but was medicated to be able to concentrate. I also blurt things out and have trouble waiting my turn.

I have discovered that increased exercise helps with a lot of this. If I have worked my body and brain really hard then it has less energy to be all spazzy with.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Pretty much, yeah. I don't really buy the whole "disorder" movement. Seems to me if we all have disorders then there is no order.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
ADD/ADHD is possible for all types, though there is the option that it manifests itself in different ways. ESFP descrition does sound like ADHD sometimes, but a personality type is not a disorder and you should still be a fully functional individual. When you have ADHD, you might be able to compensate some of the disadvantages it gives you, but being fully functional is not the case.

I am an ESFP who has ADHD. It sounds similar, but isn't. I'm often unable to follow through even on tasks that I find exciting. My executive functions are limited and sometimes my brain doesn't translate 'I should do XY' into actually doing XY. Not because I'm lazy and I think 'Meh, I'll do it later', but because I just don't. Hard to explain. I'm also not just inattentive, but hyperactive too. I have restless legs, I fidget 24/4, I am prone to binging when I'm bored, because I just have to keep a steady input of stimuli, or else I switch off and go for an attention holiday to my internal La-La Land. I tend to move my hands ALL the timme and twitch and try to touch everything and though I'll sit in a chair, I just won't stop moving. And when I want to, I can't. If you give me a list of things to do, I will remember the first thing on the list, and if you're lucky, also the last, but that depends on if I was still listening. If I was, I have zero recall for what was in between. If I wasn't, you'll have to bring me back to earth first.

Currently, I'm awaiting results from neurology, EEG exam to see what's the issue with my brain functions. I took Ritalin, but it made me anxious and sometimes paranoid, so I changed to Strattera, which worked magic for me. However, when you spend some time on meds, you tend to put a pink filter on how it was and either think that it 'wasn't as bad as all that without the meds' or on the other side 'the meds aren't really helping at all, I still feel inattentive and not as productive as I imagine healthy people are'. Well, let me tell you how wrong that is. Both of it. Strattera has a distributor problem here and I was unable to acquire my meds and ran out cold turkey. I forgot just how much hyperactive and twitchy I was before. I keep moving and calling unrequired attention to myself. I've popped about two meters squared of bubble wrap and that was even before lunch. I think I must look like a junkie, but the sad bit is, now I remember, that this is not a first or withdrawal, this is who I am and what I always had issues with before I got on meds. And whoever said that you grow out of hyperactivity was wrong! It's not just bouncing off the walls, it's not bad upbringing or misbehaviour. It's the twitching, the restless leg, the perpetual stuffing myself with something to keep myself distracted and it's horrible. It made me remember why I went on the pills, because so far today I've done maybe one hour's worth of work and that's six hours into working hours.

My luck is, that the inattention I am able to hide from people quite efficiently, because I am intelligent enough to put two and two together even without the amount of detail that was disclosed and that I can make exact logical leaps to arrive to the right conclusion without having to hear all the source information. And maybe being ESFP does help, because I am a master of improvisation. Where I should be able to present or do something based on diligent prep and practice, I just wing it! And it works.
The downside is, that I have trouble looking professional in a job that requires professional behaviour and I look infantile, because I won't stop twitching even in meetings and I have to occupy my hands either by drawing, or tearing up paper into little pieces of paper and even smaller pieces of paper until they're positively tiny and then I do something else with the tiny grains of paper.

Anyway, stopping my rant right here, because like this no one will ever hear it. Will go switch to texting hyperactively somewhere else to distribute it into survivable levels for others, before I become too obnoxious.

Whoever feels like reacting to this, please feel free. I need stimuli and something to respond to and obviously, I'm not getting anything normal done today, or until I can get my hands on more Strattera:rolleyes:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've definitely thought about his before. I'm also in high school, and I purposefully didn't take AP classes because I know that I won't be able to do it, purely because of how disorganized I am. Whenever there's a video on in class, I have an extremely hard time paying attention. I tell myself, "YOU JUST HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION" but I just can't bring myself to do it at all. I also find myself impulsively playing with random objects or clicking pens/flipping pencils nonstop. I'm constantly fidgeting and moving my legs or fingers every which way. When I try to do my homework, I find myself procrastinating to the point of no return (I stay up until 4:30 and I wake up at 5). One time, in class, I took a stranger's calculator and fumbled with the buttons for a few seconds before realizing my stupid mistake. My dad really lays into me about not forgetting dates, times, forgetting to bring my homework home or simply do my homework, etc. I'm the most forgetful person I know by far. I have no idea whether this is because of my personality type or ADD or what, but whatever it is, it's hard to deal with. I think I once read something about how ESFPs are often misdiagnosed with ADD, but don't quote me on that, lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts