Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm being serious here. Are there any ENFPs or ESFPs who don't joke around with those around them and bust their chops? Every single one of these two MBTI types have done so. I've never met one of them who didn't. The ones I know always joke around, get into humorous verbal battles with those around them, prank people or just act like a comedian in general. It's like their internal fuel to do such things. They just get energized by the idea of doing humorous/funny shit.

So are there any ENFPs & ESFPs who don't always joke around or bust people's chops? Do such people exist? Confirm or deny my hypothesis...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I have trouble holding back puns, but I'm really pretty calm and reserved in general. Definitely not a prankster, though I may throw ideas out there that the real pranksters amongst us latch on to.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I know one ENFP and one ESFP, and they're both like that.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I probably inspired your thread. Yes, I do love to bust people's chops and most of my ESFP friends do to. However, I think that it should be noted that ESTP's are the master of chop busting, ISTP's do this a lot as well, and the ENTP's are pretty chop busting their selves as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From my experience, YES.

My ENFP does this all the time. ALL the time. Not always in the direction of others, either...sometimes it becomes a conversation with himself. Poking fun at himself. And it's always pretty entertaining as well.

The ESFP I know has a lot of puns, laughs at everything, but is not always the ringleader of the joking. She seems able to turn almost anything into a joke, though.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Puns? Jokes? Random banter? Yeah... that's pretty common place for at least myself and the other ENFP/ESFPs I know. Though, depending on the situation, I've also seen no one more serious than an ENFP/ESFP defending against anything that contradicts whatever values or ideas that they hold dear (Fi). It's kind of scary, truth be told...

·
Registered
788 Posts
From my experience, YES.

My ENFP does this all the time. ALL the time. Not always in the direction of others, either...sometimes it becomes a conversation with himself. Poking fun at himself. And it's always pretty entertaining as well.

The ESFP I know has a lot of puns, laughs at everything, but is not always the ringleader of the joking. She seems able to turn almost anything into a joke, though.

Spot on observation.

I often felt ENFP's joke always re-direct back to themselves, sometimes seeking approval by asking seemingly self-unrelated questions but they could be actually fishing for more information on self-image related validation. They tend to be careful with their jokes as they are sensitive of not hurting others feelings. Their laughters often vibrate a genuine childlike innocence.

ESFP basically has the gift of the gab in small talks and able to laugh at almost anything and wouldn't mind making funny facial gestures to enhance the hilarity to the max. Also, if things get too stiff or serious in conversation, they immediately lighten up the mood with a joke naturally as they often avoid heavy topics in social gatherings. You can easily laugh harder just by watching them laugh their hearts out.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hmmm, this makes me wonder if my stepdad was an ESFP, not an ESTP. He was like this, a big clown.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I'm being serious here. Are there any ENFPs or ESFPs who don't joke around with those around them and bust their chops? Every single one of these two MBTI types have done so. I've never met one of them who didn't. The ones I know always joke around, get into humorous verbal battles with those around them, prank people or just act like a comedian in general. It's like their internal fuel to do such things. They just get energized by the idea of doing humorous/funny shit.

So are there any ENFPs & ESFPs who don't always joke around or bust people's chops? Do such people exist? Confirm or deny my hypothesis...
I confirm your hypothesis. I know both types in real life, always joking when I'm serious. But i like that about them most of the time.

·
Registered
325 Posts

Denied. My humor is very subtle, but black and sarcastic all the same. I look grumpy to people that don't know me, but if I trust you I'll be more easy. I've always had problems trusting people.
I'm very critical too, naive would be the last word you could use to describe me.

Could go on, but not necessary I guess.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is nothing more gratifying than keeping your mind 2 sentences ahead of the conversation... I consider it a fine art to have a snappy answer for just about anything. Even better to be able to steer a conversation in a certain direction, just to be able to use a line, a quote, pun, anectdote, comeback, quip... you get better and better at it over the years too :) Also any time I hear or read something worth using it goes in the memory banks for later use. Ammo, lol.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
ESFPs aren't much like that.
I don't know about ENFPs.
I disagree. I think ESFPs are highly likely to jokingly "bust people's chops." Not necessarily in a mean way, but I guess some people could take it like that at times.

It's part of the whole class clown/performer composite.

I'm not saying ALL ESFPs are like that, but I think it's common.

I actually have this trait myself especially interacting with people on-line, I do it in a more subtle manner or only with certain people IRL...I was complemented recently on how subtle and dryly funny I can be, without being openly rude about it...in real life. I think I seem more openly mocking in writing.

I think because I'm an ISFP leaning toward ESFP I exercise this trait a lot in writing.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Enfp- Witty, odd, punny busting chops
Esfp- Random, but more serious and mainstream busting chops

Both of them do though hahah
Actually the way you describe ENFP makes me think of my ENFJ bff. She's very much like that, she was always twisting words around and approaching people in this really funny way, especially when we were in high school. I sincerely think she's ENFJ though because she types herself as ENFJ and seems to show Fe/Ni very much in my opinion.

However, my ESFJ ex is very funny like that, just more straight forward, my ESFJ ex almost comes across as a bitchy gay man when he's cracking on people, which is something I associate with ExFJs. My ENFJ bff is pretty much the same, except she does do more puns and word plays and things; while my ESFJ ex's cracks are more mocking people's FAIL in terms of Fe/Si social norms and immediate observations.

My mom is a total ESFP and she's really silly, and can disintegrate into blatantly making fun of people, and according to her she's been this way from high school, and in high school didn't know when to stop before it became just mean and almost bullying. But the WAY she does it is so goofy...and she laughs so much at her own jokes...it's different than an ENFJ or ESFJ...it's more slap-stick, for lack of a better term. And she can be pretty offensive to some people, and less dry.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
This certainly applies to me. Most of the compliments I receive are about my sense of humor. I also notice I make fun of people I like more than people I dislike because at least they can take a joke, so I mess with my friends all the time.

I think it's an ExxP thing in general. From what I can tell, ENTPs are stereotypically quick-witted and I know people who have tested as ESTP that frequently joke around a lot like that as well. I can easily see both Ne dominants and Se dominants doing things to get reactions out of people, finding ways to twist trivial things people say into jokes, and that sort of thing.

This is not to say introverts and/or judgers are less funny because most of my friends tested as some sort of introvert and they're some of the funniest people I know. The main difference I notice is that my humor tends to involve catching people off guard by making jokes when they're not expecting one. Theirs, on the other hand, seems to be less about reaction and more about the joke they're making itself. Obviously there are areas where our sense of humor overlaps otherwise we wouldn't all think of each other as funny but I think that's the main difference.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts