Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a relative with a child that has borderline ADD or some similar behavior disorder, which was affecting his ability to calmly sit down and learn at school and at home. She was at the point that she was considering medication for him but was introduced to essential oils as a natural remedy rather than a medication one. While looking into and researching them she found that many of the same components within these oils are the same chemicals that have been patented and offered through many prescriptions (she has an agricultural chemistry background), and so after some intense research has collected many different types of these oils and started medicating her child with essential oil primarily from lavender, along with some others. She sees an effect of calming his rambunctiousness almost immediately after placing a small amount on his skin and is quite pleased with it.

Does anyone else have some experience with essential oils?

·
Banned
30 Posts
I not it is an old topic, i am just looking for some recommendations. I hear everywhere about how good are essential oils for stress relief etc. Here are some questions now: all the oils are good for stress relief or only certain types? What do you do with the oils: add it in the bath, spray on the pillow?

·
Retired Administrator
21,158 Posts
This is an old thread but to reply to the OP--there are some oils that act as um...something that disrupts hormones, and so there can be caution about using them too much with kids. Also some people have fragrance sensitivity so it's not universal--they could also get overstimulated by strong smells.

There are some oils that have been studied for stress relief--I remember seeing bergamot as one of them, and it did seem to calm people down.

Bergamot is what is in earl grey and it's a citrus.

Anyone into oils should probably try to stick to reputable producers, since they would be easy to counterfeit. They aren't super cheap (some are cheaper than others).

Some oils are caustic and should be used with caution--most people recommend diluting essential oils with some carrier oil if you're going to apply to body.

Oils are used for different things--most can be used for smell, but tea tree is generally used medically as an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial thing, and there are products that use tea tree in fish tanks etc. Neem also...I wouldn't expect to find it in an essential oil section, but it's used as an insecticide.

I think bergamot is a pretty safe oil for relaxation. A lot of people also like to use lavender flower oil (though I think that does have some hormone impact).

Ylang Ylang is a less expensive floral oil that's similar to Jasmine (true jasmine is very expensive, along with true rose).

You can also buy vanilla oil--some of the relaxation is psychological, like vanilla might remind you of something your granny used to cook (I think it tends to remind people of maternal warmth). It's also not super expensive.

Magnesium is good for stress relief if you like to take baths--you could get some epsom salt and then put a few drops of a pure essential oil into the salt and mix it around, and it might disperse well.

Or you can just put it on a pillow or you can put some on your wrist like perfume (though they recommend mixing with a carrier oil like almond oil or even olive oil). There are lots of ways to use it.

·
Retired Administrator
21,158 Posts
Oh--I almost forgot peppermint oil, it's often used for headaches. Some oils can make headaches worse, but peppermint is a common remedy for migraines or tension headaches?) You can put a drop on your temples. It also repels mice and is pretty inexpensive.

·
Retired Administrator
21,158 Posts
Woody oils tend to have a muskier scent and can also be calming--they are usually considered sort of masculine smelling...this would include cederwood or sandalwood (expensive) and patchouli.

So just like perfumes you have different categories--fruity, floral, and sort of woody or musky-ish, and then some spicy ones like cinnamon.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
566 Posts
My favorite scents are lavender, eucalyptus and vanilla. Those scents are extremely relaxing to me. I'm always in a happy mood anytime I use them on my skin. Lavender works the most for me though. It makes me feel comfortable and uplifting.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE SCUEI
23,322 Posts
Wow, well at least we know that essential oils can bring a post back from the dead!

Dec 6, 2015

Desolan
Registered
Joined Nov 14, 2011
Last seen May 7, 2018

·
Registered
1 Posts
Essential oils have long established themselves as an effective way to treat certain diseases. These oils are volatile liquids of complex composition, the main component of which is natural hydrocarbons. Vegetable essential oils are not just pleasant aromas. And they are biologically active substances. Their effect on the body is very wide - from a beneficial effect on the psyche, mood, mental and physical performance to a practical effect on various diseases and pathological processes. Many useful recipes for the use of essential oils you can find on 13 Best Essential Oils for Whooping Cough

·
Registered
394 Posts
I really like oils and use them for diffusers, and put a dab on my skin before I sleep. I have read not to apply to the skin but this is okay for me. Mostly I was applying them in a fresh disposable masks. Anyways I find oils at Home Goods and I tend to like lavender, peppermint and orange 'something or other'? like an orange zest?

Another point, I have just discovered a product by Fruits & Passion of their room sprays. This is marketed for the kitchen but I like them in other spaces as well. I have a lime one atm. Very soothing.https://www.amazon.com/Fruits-Passi...t=&hvlocphy=9007575&hvtargid=pla-781548210406

1 - 10 of 10 Posts