1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
650 Posts
The meat lobby is powerful. Yea that is quite the price drop. I guess it wont be on the dolla menu anytime soon. I wonder if vegans will eat this lab meat?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The meat lobby is powerful. Yea that is quite the price drop. I guess it wont be on the dolla menu anytime soon. I wonder if vegans will eat this lab meat?
I think some will, some won't. I'm not vegan but vegetarian, and I know I will. This understanding, that I would one day eat meat again but it would be ethical, was one thing that helped me become vegetarian at all. On the other hand I know of vegans who would find eating animal meat simply un-aesthetic even if it was lab grown, kind of like if it were lab grown human meat.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I wonder, though, if I'm the only one grossed out by the idea of eating lab-grown muscle tissue?

Reactions: Ninjaws and Amine

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder, though, if I'm the only one grossed out by the idea of eating lab-grown muscle tissue?
Should be the same as off the animal. Actually I think I'd rather the lab-grown, the animal is the grosser option. They can have parasites and diseases and they're pumped full of hormones and antibiotics and shit, lab-grown can't. When lab-grown reaches maturity it will be equivalent to the highest quality animal meat, heck, probably beyond that because they can enrich it with stuff like omega-3 and whatnot.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Should be the same as off the animal. Actually I think I'd rather the lab-grown, the animal is the grosser option. They can have parasites and diseases and they're pumped full of hormones and antibiotics and shit, lab-grown can't. When lab-grown reaches maturity it will be equivalent to the highest quality animal meat, heck, probably beyond that because they can enrich it with stuff like omega-3 and whatnot.
That's true. Very astute point.

I find the "real thing" gross as well. But it was something about detaching it from the animal that just seemed wholly disgusting and unnatural to me.

If you remove that bias and just think about it health-wise, yes, lab-grown meat is probably pretty stellar and avoids a lot of the negatives of animal-grown meat.

And no doubt would be way better for the environment.

Reactions: Amine

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I also find the idea of lab grown meat kind of gross but I'm sure I would get over it quickly and wouldn't hesitate to try some. In time people would probably find eating real meat as a gross idea. Can they also grow fat along with the meat? If not those will be some functional but tough and tasteless burgers.

Some critical thinking: What would happen with the cows that aren't on dairy farms if this stuff became super cheap? The animals would be useless except for a nich market of people who would want the real thing. There would be many such customers to begin with but eventually there would be so many cows in comparison to the people why buy them over synthetic meat, that there would be a mass butchering to get rid of the excess. Then the price of real beef would skyrocket. Farm cows might even become endangered or extinct.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not opposed to eating it in principle but man, processed food has a very bad rep for good reason.

I do not think I trust industries not to ruin it into an unhealthy mix. Industrial meat processing sucks: some of the worst food you can eat nowadays are sausages, processed meatballs and Döner Kebabs. Being those things just in name if you are not careful.

It is a bit of hyperbole, I know, but this thing has the risk of ending up being a worse version of fake crab meat sticks despite what is technically achievable.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
It will only be a matter of time before they shape it like a human and download a human personality into it so you can hear it scream while you eat it :D

Reactions: Biracial

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
I'd eat it. What's the difference if it's grown in a lab as long as it's chemically the same and tastes decent? Natural =/= better. Plus, it could end factory farming. (I'm a hypocrite since I'm an omnivore who eats stuff out of the grocery store but it's something I'd rather not have exist in comparison to natural grazing. Although the possibility of cattle and other livestock animals becoming endangered is a good counterpoint. It's not really all that simple.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts