Personality Cafe banner

Do you masquerade in another personality's "business suit?"

• Yes, and I hate it.

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Yes, and I love it. It presents a challenge.

• No. My job doesn't require it, though it might help if I could.

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • No. My job is dreaming I'm Alice in Wonderland.

• Business suit? You mean my PJ's?

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found something interesting reading Typelogic's INFP profile, in the phrase "INFPs can even masquerade in their ESTJ business suit ..."

Which got me to thinking about my job - that of a reporter.

When one thinks about it, that could be a VERY ESTJ job. It requires good time management (J), objective analysis (T), observation of physical surroundings (S) and people skills (E).

But I've also heard "journalist" mentioned on a lot of sites giving potential job interests for INFP's.

Is it merely the creative process, the sense of "doing the world a favor" that would draw an idealistic INFP to this kind of job?

The profile goes on to say the INFP may roll like an ESTJ on-the-job ... "but not without expending considerable energy."

That's true to the max.

I often find I have expended a ton of energy in just the most mundane of my reporter duties.

But it's the idealist in me that keeps me coming back, I think. There's some sense of accomplishment in doing a job that I know is difficult, but in the end I still "feel good" about the product that I've put out.

Do any of the rest of you find this, with your jobs, social lives, etc?

The necessity of assuming, not only a different persona, but taking on the traits of your polar opposite?

·
Registered
10 Posts
i do this sometimes, right now i am in a representative position for a group of people (someone decided to make me spokesperson because, and i quote, "it will break you out of your shell." except... i like my shell! it's useful sometimes) and it's fun to put on a new persona- or rather an extension of myself and how i would act if i was "normal" (something my mom has said which is absolute bullshit :rolleyes:). i don't completely stray from natural tendencies to listen more than talk but i do put on a confident mask and speak more surely as well as make comments that i probably wouldn't do naturally. i like acting, it's fun. it gets me out of my head for a while.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think journalism is a great example of this; I've often toyed with the idea of going into journalism, perhaps because as you said, to but quite broadly, in appealing to the INFP desire to "do the world a favour". But the job entails some amount of extroversion as well, particularly with broadcast journalism. I fear I wouldn't be able to pull that off, having to host interview after interview with strangers and such. I think it'd drain me way too much.

I can't say that I've witnessed my own "ESTJ business suit"; I'm still a student. But it has surfaced during job interviews and the like.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea what it means to use an "ESTJ" business suit... it sounds painful.
LOL! It is painful sometimes!

I thought it was an interesting concept when I read that, and I had never given it this much thought before.

I had always thought my job kind of required me to be more of an extrovert, but I never really thought about it pretty much requiring me to become my very opposite for the "shoe-leather" part of the job, then become myself during the creative process.

I've learned so much from this job, I think I'm pretty much prepared for anything!
@ForsakenMe, good for you! I wouldn't use that word to describe any of my managers, but I think they're pretty impressed that the "quiet kid" ended up being one of their most solid reporters. :)
@dann, I think that's exactly it. I feel like the college experience in itself helped stretch me a little, but nothing's done as much to help me become more "well-rounded" than this job has!
@VertigoH, there's always print journalism (which I highly recommend)! ;) Interviews are normally one-on-one except at press conferences, and you don't have to worry about how you sound or look on tape, because you're not going to be in the presentation of it - plus I feel like the creative process (especially if you're working with words instead of video) allows you to put much more of yourself "into" it ... at least for those of us who are word-people.
@dr dre, it is acting, to an extent. At least it started that way for me. But after years of "acting," I've started to wonder how much of it is an act anymore? My personality hasn't changed per se, and I have the same natural tendencies, and sometimes it still gets draining doing even just the "usual" stuff. But it's gotten a heck of a lot easier, and I now know the mental processes I need to go through to mask the natural tendencies that wouldn't do me any favors at the office or in the field.

Reactions: 20111017

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've tried but I just can't function like a judger. I can fumble a passable ESFP or ISFP on a good day.
The J is the absolute hardest thing for me. My time management skills stink, I'm rarely at something *exactly* on time. You should see my desk ... it ain't pretty ;) ... Ummmm ... some things I'm pretty competent with "judging" on, but I've resigned myself to that fact that the organizational skills will never EVER come naturally.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My ESTJ side has popped up from time to time, usually when attempting to force some structure when I was a tutor. It wasn't pretty and it was unexpected for my students. I tap into my ST side at work, but I don't become the draining ESTJ.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
In my own opinion, INFPs can do whatever career they really wish, because when they are motivated and led by their hearts, nothing can stop them to achieve anything they really desire-but this doesn't mean they have to stop becoming themselves, as they just have to adapt to each path accordingly. Adapting and compromising is not the same thing-I would never let anybody or any job force me to be "ESTJ", for instance. If I am not one, why be one? Nor should I expect ESTJs to be INFPs either, whatever interests they may have. If an INFP decides that a job typicallywith tons of SJs is his/her thing, he doesn't need to act like SJ, but just keep being the awesome INFP he/she is, while tailoring/developing himself/herself towards those areas that may not be as natural/easy for him/her-there's no need to put on a facade (not even on interviews, IMHO, as confidence and know-how are not the sole domain of other types.)

I question those online prescreening job sites that ask about your personality. I find it highly insulting that they would turn somebody down not due to skills, knowledge, abilities, and confidence, but because of not meeting "personality expectations." I don't even care to apply to jobs that evidently look for the kind of person I am not, as I am not planning to put up a fake show for their ignorant's sake. These jobs should stop being typist in this manner, but sadly, I doubt they'll stop doing these things anytime soon.

Addendum: I didn't vote because I did not see any option that matches my opinion above. :{P

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Funnily enough I've considered aspiring to becoming a journalist. I've liked the idea of writing and voicing my opinions in an easy and cheap way, even if they may draw controversey. But I've been told in the UK the journalist profession is saturated with too many people so I'm toying with several other ideas.

I can adopt a Thinker role very easily, and if happy being a Extravert is fairly easy for me. I can be a Sensor but it drains me, as I drift off very easily. I cannot organise though. That is my Achilles hell.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Funnily enough I've considered aspiring to becoming a journalist. I've liked the idea of writing and voicing my opinions in an easy and cheap way, even if they may draw controversey. But I've been told in the UK the journalist profession is saturated with too many people so I'm toying with several other ideas.

I can adopt a Thinker role very easily, and if happy being a Extravert is fairly easy for me. I can be a Sensor but it drains me, as I drift off very easily. I cannot organise though. That is my Achilles hell.
I think an INFP that is a journalist from his/her heart can be really something special! Follow your heart, always weighing the options, and understanding that it's ok if you ever change your mind as well. But if this is something that it's currently appealing to you, I don't see how "being INFP" is aproblem at all. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think I'm already more extroverted and organized than the average INFP (at least the average according to stereotypes) which has definitely helped me in the work-world. Since I'm still a student, I've really only had one job so far (in a law office) where the demands of the job required me to be someone besides myself. The job itself would have been great for other personalities....paid well, easy work, laid-back boss. But I absolutely hated working there and every day at 5:00 I wanted to jump for joy, I was so happy to be going home for the day. I felt like my soul died a little every day, and I will never take a job like that again. Even if it's difficult, I'm going to go into a career where I can be myself, absolutely.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thanks, I think if I get the right type of job I'd be comfortable but even through writing I sometimes find it hard to get my point across. Though, not to sound arrogant, my teahcers have said I can construct arguments well. Haha.

I have several different interests though, I'm making sure that I'm not getting tied down to a job and following the typical role of becoming a stockbroker and left feeling unfufilled and empty.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,615 Posts
When I got promoted as a supervisor, I suddenly was given these extra powers like having to give instructions to staff, sometimes having to set certain boundaries and a lot of other responsibilities. I dreaded this part of the job before I was actually promoted, my boss constantly reminded me that if I don't put my foot down when employees have broken the rules, it would be mean that I would be in trouble too as that was part of my job. I kinda got used to it and in the event of having set those boundaries, I did it is as nicely as I could whilst just putting the message across that it is beneficial in order to keep the company flowing. I got very tired of managing other people though and half the time, hid in the office dealing with the paperwork and finances. I ended up taking up another job not too long after with less supervisory responsibility.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, I think I do this at work. I try to keep everything clean and in its place, and honestly, I can get kind of anal about it. I still focus more on getting the job done well rather than fast, but I do try to be efficient.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
It's useful for my parents who keep bickering about my progress in a really wrong way. I counter them and ask them what they have done for themselves.

In fact everybody just "lolz around". From that perspective I stopped caring that much about what me and others do.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well after being in the military for the past couple of years I have become particularly adept at switching back and forth from INFP to ESTJ when needed be, but not without expending considerable energy to meet those needs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts