Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning to write a short story series and I aim two have it alternate between two protagonists: one being Lawful Good and inspired by the Epic Hero archetype and the other being a Chaotic Good Romantic Heroine. I am trying to come up with how to write them and on one of my Creative Writing assignments, I have had trouble with incorporating personality (honestly, I rarely socialize and predicting personality is the hardest thing for me), yet they still said that I was a "natural-born writer," so I still want to pursuit this career (I was inspired by Tolkien and Lewis).

The male Epic Hero is ESTJ because I wanted a Lawful (xSxJ) character with the "large-talking" characteristics of the Epic Hero. Plus, ESTJ corellates with Choleric/Melancholic and I've read that the Choleric temperament is "powered" by testosterone.

The female Romantic Hero is ISFP because the archetype sometimes has unconventional world views (which adds a bonus since I'd pick the modest cloudcuckoolander over the bikini-clad "normal" girl anytime) and follows his/her own rules (Chaotic, or xSxP). Furthermore, ISFP can also be Phlegmatic/Sanguine and the Phlegmatic temperament (according to my research) comes from estrogen.

I happen to know that one awesome ESTJ hero is Peter Pevensie from CON and one ISFP hero is Frodo Baggins from LOTR.

I have already come up with some ideas, but I'd like some input on each personalities' habits, behaviors and mannerisms, please. :)

Reactions: BleaK

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, I would love to help but an ISFP I have little patience for analyses. There you go.

Sounds interesting btw

Edit: Actually, give me some direction and I can try and help if you want anything first hand. I have trouble navigating in broad questions, but am good with details :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I would love to help but an ISFP I have little patience for analyses. There you go.

Sounds interesting btw

Edit: Actually, give me some direction and I can try and help if you want anything first hand. I have trouble navigating in broad questions, but am good with details :)
For the ESTJ, I'm planning on giving him good leadership skills, an inflexible attitude, fear of spiders, and a troubled temper. As for the ISFP, she will have a laid-back personality but will not hesitate to call on you if you do something wrong; she also has a fear of fire.

Indeed, for the ESTJ, he will have an analytical eye that will notice strange detail, such as seeing that a villain has a conscience due to hesitation or when he sees a psycopath lying when he looks to the side (when a person lies, they're using the frontal lobe in the brain to make up words to try and fool the other person, thus resulting in looking off to the side). And instead of using imagination, he'll use his knowledge of past history to understand what not to do. He later learns that he's a half-alien of a practically extinct race that tried (perhaps too successfully) to find a way to reproduce with other life-forms and ended up losing its unique identity in the process, thus developing a nervous breakdown since he now sees himself as not only unfairly advantages, but also at being unrelatable. He revels in conflict (so much as it never harms anyone) and regularly clashes with the ISFP.

The ISFP is a kooky girl who likes to enjoy the outdoors, even kicking of her shoes (if they're on) before going outside. She has a love for art and of the two, is the most spiritual. Unfortunately, she is very shy since her looks attract too much attention, thus leading her to develop subconscious homosexual feelings (the short stories will say that said feelings develop environmentally and attack both sides of the LGBT debate). Even though she knows that her family, against all stereotypes toward ssm opposers, will still accept her, she keeps it a secret for fear that they won't know how exactly to act around her. She is pacifistic and would prefer to strike with fans or fingers towards an opponent's pressure point

The two are cousins.

Reactions: 5rintarou

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well, I don't know specifically what you want to know, but I can give you a few examples of what I do (something I think ISFP's do regardless of gender):

1. You could have the ESTJ try to rush in to conflict, but have the ISFP hold him back. Irl I tend to hold way back and see if things will sort themselves out. Te (actually doing something) only comes out when a) no one is doing anything, and things need to get moving, b) a group is moving a project we're working on in a different way than I feel is right, so I get demanding, or c) when something/someone I reeeeaally care about is threatened. I feel very passionately about one of the sides on the abortion debate, so when that topic comes up a loud, demanding side of me comes out.

Most of the time I'm very cool-headed (at least outwardly) while everyone else is freaking out. But when I have a sudden, strongly negative conviction about the way someone is behaving towards me or other people, my temper can explode all of the sudden.

2. I don't dwell on the past other than what it means to me. When people say, "if we did it x way it would have turned out better," I don't care because I would have figured it out already, and there's no point on dwelling on possibilities (especially those of the past).

3. I'm awful at planning. This has caused some problems in my relationships, so I tend to leave planning to the people who like it and are good at it (basically, J types).

4. I love when things are beautiful - I love looking outside and seeing the way the shadows are shaped, how the sun gleams across the window, how snow falls so perfectly and silently and the way it's so quite when I'm outside alone....stuff like that.

Is there anything else you want to know?

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
For the ESTJ, I'm planning on giving him good leadership skills, an inflexible attitude, fear of spiders, and a troubled temper. As for the ISFP, she will have a laid-back personality but will not hesitate to call on you if you do something wrong; she also has a fear of fire.

Indeed, for the ESTJ, he will have an analytical eye that will notice strange detail, such as seeing that a villain has a conscience due to hesitation or when he sees a psycopath lying when he looks to the side (when a person lies, they're using the frontal lobe in the brain to make up words to try and fool the other person, thus resulting in looking off to the side). And instead of using imagination, he'll use his knowledge of past history to understand what not to do. He later learns that he's a half-alien of a practically extinct race that tried (perhaps too successfully) to find a way to reproduce with other life-forms and ended up losing its unique identity in the process, thus developing a nervous breakdown since he now sees himself as not only unfairly advantages, but also at being unrelatable. He revels in conflict (so much as it never harms anyone) and regularly clashes with the ISFP.

The ISFP is a kooky girl who likes to enjoy the outdoors, even kicking of her shoes (if they're on) before going outside. She has a love for art and of the two, is the most spiritual. Unfortunately, she is very shy since her looks attract too much attention, thus leading her to develop subconscious homosexual feelings (the short stories will say that said feelings develop environmentally and attack both sides of the LGBT debate). Even though she knows that her family, against all stereotypes toward ssm opposers, will still accept her, she keeps it a secret for fear that they won't know how exactly to act around her. She is pacifistic and would prefer to strike with fans or fingers towards an opponent's pressure point

The two are cousins.
Different people lie different ways. A skillful liar is going to look you in the eye as though they were speaking the truth. Is the antagonist going to be a skillful liar? The liar looking off to the side is a hit and miss in my experience and studies have since come out that show many people are able to lie without doing that. People have idiosyncrasies that you can pick up on. Tightening of the eyes. Or the cadence of their speech changes. Some will throw in entirely irrelevant and unnecessary details. I think you should research lying more before you take that approach.

I doubt an ESTJ would revel in conflict. They like order. They conflict with others seeking order. Many ENTP, ESTP's, ENTJ and a few others get a kick out of conflict. Of course, every type doesn't behave exactly the same, so you can ignore that if you want.

Noticing hesitation isn't such small a detail. If you want to show he's paying attention, I'd go for a smaller/stranger detail.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Different people lie different ways. A skillful liar is going to look you in the eye as though they were speaking the truth. Is the antagonist going to be a skillful liar? The liar looking off to the side is a hit and miss in my experience and studies have since come out that show many people are able to lie without doing that. People have idiosyncrasies that you can pick up on. Tightening of the eyes. Or the cadence of their speech changes. Some will throw in entirely irrelevant and unnecessary details. I think you should research lying more before you take that approach.

I doubt an ESTJ would revel in conflict. They like order. They conflict with others seeking order. Many ENTP, ESTP's, ENTJ and a few others get a kick out of conflict. Of course, every type doesn't behave exactly the same, so you can ignore that if you want.

Noticing hesitation isn't such small a detail. If you want to show he's paying attention, I'd go for a smaller/stranger detail.
Thanks for the input. You know, I think I got a little overconfident there at the lying part, since we're talking about a main character being intelligent, not godlike[I/], but your criticism makes perfect sense. Also, when you say it, I may have misread some parts saying about how an ESTJ handles conflict. Maybe it said they were experts on the subject, not blood knights.

I have to admit, detail is a weak point on me, so I'll need to ask others for advice. I sure am glad I can ask for some help here.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Thanks for the input. You know, I think I got a little overconfident there at the lying part, since we're talking about a main character being intelligent, not godlike[I/], but your criticism makes perfect sense. Also, when you say it, I may have misread some parts saying about how an ESTJ handles conflict. Maybe it said they were experts on the subject, not blood knights.

I have to admit, detail is a weak point on me, so I'll need to ask others for advice. I sure am glad I can ask for some help here.

''ESTPs have an uncanny ability to perceive people's attitudes and motivations. They pick up on little cues which go completely unnoticed by most other types, such as facial expressions and stance. They're typically a couple of steps ahead of the person they're interacting with. ESTPs use this ability to get what they want out of a situation. Rules and laws are seen as guidelines for behavior, rather than mandates."

"ESTJs live in a world of facts and concrete needs. They live in the present, with their eye constantly scanning their personal environment to make sure that everything is running smoothly and systematically. They honor traditions and laws, and have a clear set of standards and beliefs. They expect the same of others, and have no patience or understanding of individuals who do not value these systems. They value competence and efficiency, and like to see quick results for their efforts."

I think you may have your types a little mixed up. ESTP's are opportunists. ESTJ's are responsible. ESTJ's can be opportunists as much as the next type. And ESTP's can be responsible as much as the next type. But generally, this is why ESTP's carry the stereotype of con-men and ESTJ's carry the stereotype of controlling parent.

Reactions: Ctrooper2011

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
''ESTPs have an uncanny ability to perceive people's attitudes and motivations. They pick up on little cues which go completely unnoticed by most other types, such as facial expressions and stance. They're typically a couple of steps ahead of the person they're interacting with. ESTPs use this ability to get what they want out of a situation. Rules and laws are seen as guidelines for behavior, rather than mandates."

"ESTJs live in a world of facts and concrete needs. They live in the present, with their eye constantly scanning their personal environment to make sure that everything is running smoothly and systematically. They honor traditions and laws, and have a clear set of standards and beliefs. They expect the same of others, and have no patience or understanding of individuals who do not value these systems. They value competence and efficiency, and like to see quick results for their efforts."

I think you may have your types a little mixed up. ESTP's are opportunists. ESTJ's are responsible. ESTJ's can be opportunists as much as the next type. And ESTP's can be responsible as much as the next type. But generally, this is why ESTP's carry the stereotype of con-men and ESTJ's carry the stereotype of controlling parent.
Wow, where did you get those descriptions? They're downright perfect.

·
Registered
293 Posts
You can study Claire Bennet from Heroes and or Kate Austen from Lost to see how they interact with certain people and their immediate environment. I'm certain they're both ISFPs. Oh and Bella Swan from twilight *cringes*

I hope you are successful in your career pursuits.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You can study Claire Bennet from Heroes and or Kate Austen from Lost to see how they interact with certain people and their immediate environment. I'm certain they're both ISFPs. Oh and Bella Swan from twilight *cringes*

I hope you are successful in your career pursuits.
I think those would be probably good examples, except that I'm never even going to touch a Twilight since it's probably a bigger epic fail at fiction than The Last Airbender. But I'll probably give Lost and Heroes a chance.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sounds like an interesting project. You should also consider the age of your protagonists in terms of their function mastery / usage. A ESTJ in their early teens would probably be a lot more fixated on Te- you could make a pretty interesting story just by exploring how you can break his belief in Te / force him to reflect on what he truly values in life.

As for your ISFP heroine, well the most notable areas of development I can think of (based on my ISFP friend) would be her apathy towards action, her way of forgetting / ignoring her responsibilities (in an absent-minded, easygoing way), and her ability to live in the moment and enjoy life through her value of aesthetics.

For your ref: I find these descriptions pretty useful
ESTJ Personality Type Profile - Personality Junkie
ISFP Personality Type Profile - Personality Junkie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts