Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this may be my first time posting in here so, hello ESTJs!

So I thought I would come here to get some insight from fellow ESTJs since I really don't know that many in real life. I have an ESTJ friend that I recently hired on to do some work for me. I know he is pretty organized and stays on track, and that is what I am looking for.

Mainly he is doing data entry type work right now and may be doing some writing for me in the future. I'm paying him right now per task completed (with the potential to hire him full time if everything goes well).

Some questions:

Are ESTJs okay with having a boss? It seems like you guys would prefer to work for yourselves.

What do you look for as far as a boss or having an assignment to complete? I'm an INTP, and I know most xxTJs (having Te) prefer having things explained concretely and with examples. I don't have Extraverted Thinking (Te) but I am doing my best to explain what I want in full step by step detail and went over it with him in person.

Any input (or additional comments) would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Hey Ambiguous,

Glad to hear your business is going well!

To answer your questions:

I have absolutely no problem working under someone, so long as that person is competent, communicative, and let's me know exactly what he/she wants. I particularly enjoy working under those types of people who have a vision of what they want and know what role they want me to play in it. In other words, clarity and communcation is a good thing.

Take the time to explain things as you can. If you don't know how to explain something, be up front and honest. Say there's room to experiment. ESTJs are not afraid to mess around a little on projects where there's room for it-- they just want to know the parameters in which they can wiggle.

Set clear deadlines, but don't micromanage if you can help it (and if the work doesn't require you to). Just drop in occasionally and chat a little. If the ESTJ is busy, they'll let you know. If not, they'll stop and talk for awhile. I like to stretch my vocal chords and chat a bit even on a busy day.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help JuliaRhys!

Yeah that makes sense. I talked with my friend and explained what I wanted as well as I could, but I may need to follow up with him.

I'm not really a micromanager so that shouldn't be a problem.

That makes sense about setting clear deadlines. I'll talk with him again and make sure we're on the same page.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts