Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am a writer. Or trying to be. I have made money. Just not much.
Anyway...
I am writing a character who is an army officer. I want him to be an ESTJ, just seems to feel "right."
Are there any ESTJs with military service in the forum? Know any?

If so, what attracted you/them to the service? In what ways did you/they excel? What challenges were faced in regard to your/their natural inclinations? How long were you/they in? Why did you/they separate?

Also, what about the military lifestyle did you/they enjoy? Did you/they have a family? How did that go?

Thanks for the help. Also, if you have something you want to share but may not want to post, please PM me. This guy is a primary character. Needs to be relate-able.

·
Registered
353 Posts
im not an entj, but my dad is... he is also a lieutenant colonel in the US military and i can try to answer for him to teh best fo my ability (from my viewpoint of course)
what attracted him to the service...
as best as i can figure out he joined shortly before my mother got pregnant. im not sure if he saw it as a job, his civic duty or a way to recieve training and college education. If he had stayed in jersey he would have become a bricklayer and worked at a hot dog joint on the weekends. the military was his way of moving up in life and on to greater and better things.
-he follows orders well and has a natural respect for the chain of authority and those who deserve respect. he was always physically fit (he was THAT guy in highschool). since a young age he had had an almost ocd manner about how clean, tidy, organized and minimalistic he liked everything. His bed were always made almost before he stopped sleeping. the need to have ones shoes sparkling and bed spotless was an order he had followed long before the military
my father also has an inate sense of direction and sometimes tells stories of how he got his entire squad (group? dunno the term) out of being lost in the middle of the woods and home safely even when no one knew where they were.
i think he enjoys the commaradery. he enjoys having that sense of being able to trust everyone around him with his life. the week links are usually weeded out earlier on (so he says) and with training you get a sense of who you can depend on for what).
my father was maybe twenty one or twenty two when he joined the military, had just married his highschool sweetheart (they are still married after 34 years). they had a child about a year later and another 9 years after that (me ^_^)
it has been about thirty years since he joined and i think he will be retiring soonish so that he can focus on his other job (chemist/sales rep for a maspectrometry company)
im not really sure what challenges he faced... he doesnt talk about things as being difficult even though i know it must have been at some point. The hardest parts taht im aware of would have to be the excessive time away from home (once he got activated and sent away for a few years) and teh fact that when he would come hoem he always had trouble coming out of army mode. he would get very dictatorial and treat me and my mother as if we were in the army. he had to have things his way immediatly and i think in some ways he feels he earned it. its not that he didnt, we simply had to stop everything we were doing to act like the perfect family and even then he would still get grumpy for no reason.. freaking out of tiny messes and such.
i remember being little and he would come home in full army gear and i would always yell DADDY and run up and hug him and he would sit down in the armchair and i would take off his boots and those elastic strappy things on the pants and then his socks and my mom would fix dinner (even though she's a terrible cook)
even when he got activated my dad never did much fighting, he did a lot fo military planning and program designing although i did learn recently that he is actually an expert marksman and that he had to carry a gun around in cosivo.
if you want to know anything in greater detail or specifications just pm me. id be happy to help, although im still trying to figure my dad out.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not an entj, but my dad is... he is also a lieutenant colonel in the US military and i can try to answer for him to teh best fo my ability (from my viewpoint of course)
what attracted him to the service...
as best as i can figure out he joined shortly before my mother got pregnant. im not sure if he saw it as a job, his civic duty or a way to recieve training and college education. If he had stayed in jersey he would have become a bricklayer and worked at a hot dog joint on the weekends. the military was his way of moving up in life and on to greater and better things.
-he follows orders well and has a natural respect for the chain of authority and those who deserve respect. he was always physically fit (he was THAT guy in highschool). since a young age he had had an almost ocd manner about how clean, tidy, organized and minimalistic he liked everything. His bed were always made almost before he stopped sleeping. the need to have ones shoes sparkling and bed spotless was an order he had followed long before the military
my father also has an inate sense of direction and sometimes tells stories of how he got his entire squad (group? dunno the term) out of being lost in the middle of the woods and home safely even when no one knew where they were.
i think he enjoys the commaradery. he enjoys having that sense of being able to trust everyone around him with his life. the week links are usually weeded out earlier on (so he says) and with training you get a sense of who you can depend on for what).
my father was maybe twenty one or twenty two when he joined the military, had just married his highschool sweetheart (they are still married after 34 years). they had a child about a year later and another 9 years after that (me ^_^)
it has been about thirty years since he joined and i think he will be retiring soonish so that he can focus on his other job (chemist/sales rep for a maspectrometry company)
im not really sure what challenges he faced... he doesnt talk about things as being difficult even though i know it must have been at some point. The hardest parts taht im aware of would have to be the excessive time away from home (once he got activated and sent away for a few years) and teh fact that when he would come hoem he always had trouble coming out of army mode. he would get very dictatorial and treat me and my mother as if we were in the army. he had to have things his way immediatly and i think in some ways he feels he earned it. its not that he didnt, we simply had to stop everything we were doing to act like the perfect family and even then he would still get grumpy for no reason.. freaking out of tiny messes and such.
i remember being little and he would come home in full army gear and i would always yell DADDY and run up and hug him and he would sit down in the armchair and i would take off his boots and those elastic strappy things on the pants and then his socks and my mom would fix dinner (even though she's a terrible cook)
even when he got activated my dad never did much fighting, he did a lot fo military planning and program designing although i did learn recently that he is actually an expert marksman and that he had to carry a gun around in cosivo.
if you want to know anything in greater detail or specifications just pm me. id be happy to help, although im still trying to figure my dad out.
This is very helpful. I may PM you soon. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts