Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..I have thought myself an ESTP for a long time now. There are a LOT of things I relate to in the ESTP description. I'm super blunt and straightforward, I'm pretty good at reading people. I've always thought of myself as pretty practical. Like most ESTPs I am a big storyteller... But on the other hand I can go on and on with my N friends coming up with ridiculous scenarios and ideas... Coming up with plans for things that we will clearly never follow through with...but its still fun to speculate. (come to think of it pretty much all of my good friends are Ns) But then sometimes, I can get tired of really deep intellectual discussions...depending on the subject though. Sometimes I like it..if i know what I'm talking about. I love debating. I am always bringing up the other side for the sake of arguing, Even if I don't actually agree with it. My teachers always got a little frustrated with me because I was always cornering them and challenging them with questions they couldn't answer. Another thing about ESTPs that I don't really identify with is their need to be doing things all the time. Idk, maybe I'm just a really lazy ESTP, but I do not feel the need to do things all the time and be with people all the time. I'd rather just sit and chill with 1 or 2 of my best friends than go hang out with a crowd of people. I have excellent social skills (even though I am kinda an oddball) but I don't feel the need to hang out with people and be doing things all the time.

so. maybe you guys could help me clear some things up?? ESTP? ENTP?? i don't know....

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
So..I have thought myself an ESTP for a long time now. There are a LOT of things I relate to in the ESTP description. I'm super blunt and straightforward, I'm pretty good at reading people. I've always thought of myself as pretty practical. Like most ESTPs I am a big storyteller... But on the other hand I can go on and on with my N friends coming up with ridiculous scenarios and ideas... Coming up with plans for things that we will clearly never follow through with...but its still fun to speculate. (come to think of it pretty much all of my good friends are Ns) But then sometimes, I can get tired of really deep intellectual discussions...depending on the subject though. Sometimes I like it..if i know what I'm talking about. I love debating. I am always bringing up the other side for the sake of arguing, Even if I don't actually agree with it. My teachers always got a little frustrated with me because I was always cornering them and challenging them with questions they couldn't answer. Another thing about ESTPs that I don't really identify with is their need to be doing things all the time. Idk, maybe I'm just a really lazy ESTP, but I do not feel the need to do things all the time and be with people all the time. I'd rather just sit and chill with 1 or 2 of my best friends than go hang out with a crowd of people. I have excellent social skills (even though I am kinda an oddball) but I don't feel the need to hang out with people and be doing things all the time.

so. maybe you guys could help me clear some things up?? ESTP? ENTP?? i don't know....
I've had some deep philosophical discussions with ESTPs. The difference, I've noticed, if I have to catch an ESTP in the right mood while ENTPs naturally gravitate towards hypothetical scenarios. I've also gone on some tangents with ESTPs, but I've noticed that at some point they're like "WTF, why are we talking about this." It just depends on if you prefer to stay grounded to reality or think with your head in the clouds, like me.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Like most types that share function-orders, there will be a certain similarity between types. I don't think it's unusual for an ESTP to naturally relate to ENTP or vice-versa. Especially on the surface, the behaviors can be similar--ESTP and ENTP both have a reputation for being "jokers" for example. The difference is the underlying motivations and cognitive process--why we do what we do.

Let me give you an example: I was watching one of those competitive interior decorating programs where an ESFP and an ENFP were competing to decorate a beach house. The ESFP was motivated by "a wave"--focused on the use of symbol of a wave to choose color, fabric, texture, even smell. The ENFP was motivated by "trying to recapture the original spirit of the house" and went with a retro-modern art nouveau design that combined the 1920s and the present. The ESFP kept worrying about whether he had the budget to do what he really wanted to do. The ENFP kept worrying about whether "the house approved" of her design choices. While both moved to the next round, the ESFP's house was exactly what it said on the tin: lots of blues, whites, and greys, practical fabrics and floors, surfaces designed to weather well but look contemporary. The ENFP's house looked nothing like anyone imagined, with a salvaged wood floor and a orange-and-blue flower motif on the walls.

So this highlights the key differences between Ne-Si and Se-Ni. Se-dominants tend to find others making things more complex than they need to be. Se-dominants get confused by the ENxP tendency to pick out details seemingly randomly with no sense of their relevance. Se-dominants tend to get frustrated with too many contingencies or "what if"s, particularly when engaged on a task. Se-dominants tend to find Ne-dominants disjointed and unable to focus. One ESFP friend called my ENTP boyfriend "shallow" because "he's always changing his mind about what he wants to do after grad school." ESTPs tend not to relate to inferior Si at all--for example, the ENTP drive to show how illogical a rule is by flouting it--they're generally not the deliberate rule breakers. Conversely, ENTPs don't relate to inferior Ni's tendency toward hopelessness or purposelessness--ENTPs tend to embrace not being sure of the future.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts