Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently found out that I am an ESTP, and a recommended occupation was entrepreneur - something I have been thinking about a lot lately. What about ESTPs makes us suited for entrepreneurship? I would like to start up a social entreprise kind of like Blake Mycoskie, owner and founder of TOMS Shoes (I wonder what MBTI type he is...), and am curious as to what my specific strengths may be for business. Totally new to this idea of ESTP so please, educate me! Thanks :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I just recently found out that I am an ESTP, and a recommended occupation was entrepreneur - something I have been thinking about a lot lately. What about ESTPs makes us suited for entrepreneurship? I would like to start up a social entreprise kind of like Blake Mycoskie, owner and founder of TOMS Shoes (I wonder what MBTI type he is...), and am curious as to what my specific strengths may be for business. Totally new to this idea of ESTP so please, educate me! Thanks :)
@CamBlight,
you could see for example results of E-scan of 21.000 starting entrepreneurs and 60 potential successors. Here are described necessary traits and capabilities, they should have. Its not counting just with MBTI, it describes traits and capabilities in more general sense and is using other tools like BIG 5 as well.

Written by Driessen and Zwart, link:
www.entrepreneurscann.co.uk/E-scan-MAB-Article-uk.pdf

·
Registered
597 Posts
@CamBlight,
you could see also Patent Searching and Invention Patenting Information/article/Academy-Enterpreneurship-Journal/166850468.html.

Here are described hypothesis (result of survey) with MBTI preferences.
Conclussion of their hypothesis:
-preference E over I
- preference N over S
- preference T over F
- "P and J are remarkably constant"

Might later would be adder something in sense how ESTPs are awesome, in bussiness and everything (confident, persuasive etc.) but for now, if you mean it really seriously with starting your bussiness, you could look to something different based in research.

BTW: one of traits benefitial for entrepreneurs in my first referal was ability to research, collect information and work wit them. I work with many ExTP types and this with researching and collectiong information is sometimes ESTPs sore spot. Once information collected, they make usually logical conclusion, but somethimes is better, that things like prospecting is doing some Inquisitive type. With prospecting in this context I mean identyfiing potential opportunities in the market, finding customers, B2B partners etc. I have to admit, that I dont work in field like TOMS shoes, so someone who does know from personal experience could give more exact info about what MBTI or ESTP qualities are most propper for work like that.

And also: we are individuals. Someones weaknes is this with research and lack of interest identify opportunities (when common ESTP see oportunity, very quick in using it, indeed :D, but search for future possiblities actively and strategically.....). What about your bussiness plan: already have concrete features?
Mine weakness is for example that Im least diplomatical creature in room usually.........taking in acount that ESTPs are supposed be "smooth talking negotiators":D:p.....well, Im confirmed type and I heard about myself that Im worst than Winston Churchill and need for my mouth permission for owning a gun.

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@CamBlight,
you could see also Patent Searching and Invention Patenting Information/article/Academy-Enterpreneurship-Journal/166850468.html.

Here are described hypothesis (result of survey) with MBTI preferences.
Conclussion of their hypothesis:
-preference E over I
- preference N over S
- preference T over F
- "P and J are remarkably constant"

Might later would be adder something in sense how ESTPs are awesome, in bussiness and everything (confident, persuasive etc.) but for now, if you mean it really seriously with starting your bussiness, you could look to something different based in research.

BTW: one of traits benefitial for entrepreneurs in my first referal was ability to research, collect information and work wit them. I work with many ExTP types and this with researching and collectiong information is sometimes ESTPs sore spot. Once information collected, they make usually logical conclusion, but somethimes is better, that things like prospecting is doing some Inquisitive type. With prospecting in this context I mean identyfiing potential opportunities in the market, finding customers, B2B partners etc. I have to admit, that I dont work in field like TOMS shoes, so someone who does know from personal experience could give more exact info about what MBTI or ESTP qualities are most propper for work like that.

And also: we are individuals. Someones weaknes is this with research and lack of interest identify opportunities (when common ESTP see oportunity, very quick in using it, indeed :D, but search for future possiblities actively and strategically.....). What about your bussiness plan: already have concrete features?
Mine weakness is for example that Im least diplomatical creature in room usually.........taking in acount that ESTPs are supposed be "smooth talking negotiators":D:p.....well, Im confirmed type and I heard about myself that Im worst than Winston Churchill and need for my mouth permission for owning a gun.

I am currently in a position where research is constant and consumer prospecting as well as B2B relations and prospecting are prominent. I'm also highly analytical but crave creativity at times, so I would definitely love to do something that requires practicality but allows me me some creative latitude. I also read that as ESTPers that I can tend to feel restricted/confined/trapped by controlling relationships, and I don't think it gets any more controlling when bringing financial backers into the fold. Does anyone have experience with this? How did you handle it?
@Nessie, Thank you SO much for the great info articles! To answer your questions, I do not have any concrete features laid out for my business plan. I've just begun down the road of being serious about doing this so any directional tips would be greatly appreciated. I've been reading The Millionaire FastLane by MJ DeMarco and it's been very useful and enlightening. Have you read this book? I'm going to be picking up Start Something That Matters by Blake Mycoskie this weekend as well - it's more social enterprise focused whereas TMFL is more entrepreneurial generic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts