Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently living with a ENTP who rents out one of my rooms in my apartment.He moved in last year and has been living with me for about 7 months now.We was friends before that, meeting in my old workplace.He wanted to move in because my place is closer to town and just a nicer place than he old place.I'm having issues with him thou, and i dont know if its me or if it is him.

So he has his own room, i will admit, i like to keep my place tidy, everyday and keep on top of things.I wrote a list last week, or 7 things that need doing round the flat because we are coming up to summer and it would be nice to get them sorted.Cleaning the fridge out, cleaning up the back garden, etc.So i asked him the other day if he minded helping out, i said ill do 4 of the jobs, he can do 3 of them, fair right? I asked him if he could just clean the fridge out some time this week, doesn't matter when, he replied, that it didn't 'really need doing' and that he sometimes does my dishes and hoovers the floor, so no, he wasn't going to do it, and if i thought it needed doing, that i should just do it.

So today i walk through he room, putting the rubbish out we'll hes in work, and i notice 2 white lines on the floor, where hes been using the wooden floor to spray paint on! So, i got mad at him over text, telling him he should spray paint outside, and he needs to get it off asap because i don't own the flat, its rented.He comes back from work today, asking me 'whos yanked my chain' because im clearly not happy.I reply, you, you've spray painted in the flat, on the wooden floor, who the hell does that? That floor isn't owned by you or me.He tells me, that im 'no good for his health' because I've gone mad, who wouldn't, and that because of this, he wants to hand his notice in with me next month, so no i'm left worrying about bills and getting a stranger in my flat.

I would also add, this guy spends ALL his time in his room, has a plastic bag for his rubbish, when there a big just outside the door in the kitchen.Surely not healthy, when hes puts food in there.He also hoovers his room about once every 2 weeks, and does not polish or anything, there's thick dust on top of his TV and around his furniture.Doesnt bother me as much as the spray paint, because he pays for the room he can do what he wants, to some degree, but i still think when i pass through he room, he surely can keep on top of it a bit better.

Is it me, am i over reacting, or have i got a point on this one?

·
Banned
190 Posts
Seconded, new roommate time. It's only gonna cause more friction in the end. I'm a bit messy and it drove my ESTJ roommate insane, nay, bonkers. Spray painting in the house is pretty dumb, but if you're on him about how dusty his room is then I don't see things getting better. Clean people and messy people shouldn't live together, it sucks for both parties, but it's going to suck for you even more.

You sound a lil' overly clean to me, but I'm a bit messy, like I said. Even if you get him to help you with the to-do list, you won't be able to get him to do it on a regular basis. For your sake, find a cleaner roommate.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the guy could be trained, maybe you could lower your living standards... But I don't think that's gonna happen, and why should it? Just grit your teeth for the next month and be on the look out for prospective roomies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The flat is yours not his, respect should be going both ways which he isnt giving. Always talk in person, text seems to lead to miscommunication. Its funny how infps can be so laid back but when someone comes along that disregards like keeping things neat on a high level we actually can become supervisor types, I hate being put in that position but stand your ground, you have every right to ask him of those duties.

Hope it works out in the end, if not may your next roomie be a much better one.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The spray paint was out of line but if that never happened, you're overreacting. How dusty his television is or whether or not he polishes the furniture in his room shouldn't matter to you in the least unless you've paid for them. It's none of your business. The only solution in this case is for you to get a new roomate, and make sure they are very clean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.