Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

First of all, english isn't my first language but I hope you'll understand everything I say.

I know this hesitation may seem a bit strange since ESTP and ENTJ are quite different types but I'm having some difficulties identifiying my MBTI type and these 2 types are those I think I'm closer.

On the E/I axis, although I sometimes behave like an introvert, I'm clearly an extrovert since I gain a lot of energy and feel reinvigorated when I'm around many people. If I spend too much time alone I quickly end up feeling isolated and depressed.

Regarding the T/F axis, I'm a VERY emotional person but I almost never show it on the outside (and sometimes I feel like my emotional side, although strong, is quite immature) and when making decisions I prefer to put my feelings aside and rely on logic and rational analysis of the pros and cons of the situation. Also, I always try to be as consistent as possible and I can't stand people who are too inconsistent in their decisions and opinions. And I prefer to be brutally honest even if it offends other people. So, for these reasons, I think that I'm mostly a T.

The S/N and J/P axes are the complicated ones for me. But before that, if I'm quite sure about the E and T parts then why am I not also considering the ENTP and ESTJ types ?
I'm not an ENTP because I'm clearly not Ne. I tend to see things as they should be rather than to lose time trying to imagine all the different possibilities, if that makes sense. Or to put it in another way, I tend to converge from many points to a single point, while the Ne does the opposite. As I understand it, that's the main difference between Ne and Ni.
I don't know if I'm S or N but I'm quite sure that I'm more Ni and Se than Ne and Si.

And I'm not an ESTJ because I'm clearly not SJ/Si. SJ types tend to like stability, I don't, in fact it's quite the opposite. I absolutely HATE stability and repetitive actions. I go completely crazy if I feel like my days are all the same and there's nothing new around. I deeply like, and even need (on a visceral level), change and novelty in my life.

Now, to help define if I'm more S or N and P or J I'm gonna talk about myself and my personality in general.
First of all, I'm incredibly (I could say insanely, but I see it as a perfectly sane thing) ambitious and VERY future-oriented. Sometimes people tend to see me as arrogant but if I said all the ambitions I have and what I want to achieve in my life they'd call me completely crazy, unrealistic, and insane. And to be honest, I haven't perfectly defined what I want to achieve in my life (I'm 20), I just have some vague idea, which frustates me since I want to make it more precisely defined. I know one can't plan everything but I prefer, to the extent that is possible, to know where I'm going and not just go with the flow. I don't like to plan things in a rigid way, I just want to have the precise idea of where I'm going, if that makes sense. I think that what distinguishes us humans from animals is precisely the fact that we're able to set plans and goals for the future, and see things in the long-term, not just our everyday lives and what we're gonna eat today.
To put it simply, my professional life has a very central place in my life and long-term professional success is vitally essential for my happiness.

On the other hand, even if I'm very future-oriented, I absolutely like to enjoy the present moment (as long as I can keep an eye on the future). I love to, as frequently as possible, hang out in nightclubs, see hot girls, do sport, visit beautiful places, and just have fun. Which are more stereotypically SP/Se, more present-oriented, activities.
My interests include things like science in general (mainly everything that is related to space and the universe), business, economics, philosophy, politics, history, and sports.
And, I don't know if that's relevant for the MBTI type, but I'm very attracted to radical ideas in subjects like politics and philosophy. Moderate opinions and ideas just don't appeal to me.

My issue with the ENTJ type is the "J" part (even though, for the reasons I said earlier, I'm not ENTP), I could be mistaken but I see J people as very serious and not funny. I like to have fun and laugh, I don't like to be around people who are always serious, it's just boring. Also, it may seem paradoxal but, even if I consider authority and hierarchy to be very important things in society, I myself don't like to be commanded and take orders from someone else.
And my issue with the ESTP type is the fact that this type is not future-oriented at all (again, I could be mistaken) while I'm literally always thinking about the future and what I'm gonna do tomorow, the next month, the next year, the next ten years, and so on.

On enneagram I'm 3w4 Sx/So (tritype 3-7-8), if that can help.

Hope that with this you can have a broad picture of my personality and help me find the MBTI type that I'm closer. Feel free to ask questions if you need to know more things to define my type ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Most of that text could be just aswell be written by me. Ambitions, interests etc. I also have the 837 tritype.

A few weeks ago I made a thread like this, (it's on page 2) I came to conclusion that I am ESTP. Ambitious and entrepreneurial type obviously thinks about the future,
ESTP can seem ENTJ'ish due to similiar leadership style. also I, and apparently other ESTPs are somewhat organized for an P type.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few weeks ago I made a thread like this, (it's on page 2) I came to conclusion that I am ESTP. Ambitious and entrepreneurial type obviously thinks about the future,
I checked it out and it's very interesting, we have a lot in common. Here are my responses to the same questionnaire :

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

I've had some stressful time in the last 2 years due to some health issues but it's all getting better and going back to normal now. I'm 20, male, and I'm currently feeling quite good.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

It's a picture of the Great Canyon, whenever I see open-wide natural spaces like this one I immediately think about exciting stuff like freedom, adventure, and all the great things I want to achieve in my life.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Instinctively my initial reaction would be to get very hangry and complain about it, but a little thereafter I would probably calm down and actively try to find a solution to the problem, because there always has to be a solution and because I really wanna go there.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I would enthusiastically go with them, and maybe also ensure myself that they actually aren't gonna drink and will be able to drive back latter.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

My inward reaction would be something like : "Ok, this guy doesn't know what the heck he's talking about". And outwardly I would probably try to convince him and the other people around by giving strong arguments to back my point of view that I of course think to be the right one.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I'm open to change some of my beliefs but only if there's strong evidence/arguments for the opposite. And the foundations generally stay the same.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I'd say that passion, ambition, and authenticity are my most important values.

Passion is in my opinion the very heart of the meaning of life itself. I HATE banality and routine more than almost anything else. Having the "fire" and a sense of purpose is essential for me to be happy.

Ambition because since I was a little child I felt I was gonna have a great future and a tremendous success in life. It wasn't even just that I wanted it, it's that it's just how it is. Whatever it takes, it's gonna be reality one day or another, because I'm gonna do the necessary.

Authenticity is another highly important value for me, although it can sometimes clash with ambition (but I think these 2 values are much more compatible than what most people think), I do my best to be as authentic as possible with myself and with other people, which includes being as honest as possible with other people and having a sense of purpose in my long-term goals.

The three are very closely linked.

I don't think they can change since they deeply represent who I am.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

What distinguishes myself from everyone else is certainly my determination, when I want something I go for it whatever the heck other people say, in fact it usually gives me extra-motivation when everybody says that I can't do it.

What I would like to change in my personality would be to be more attentive to everyday life and events, I easily tend to get totally lost in my thoughts and forget about what's going on around, and I sometimes forget to do important things. While I tend to think that most people are very incompetent when it comes to long-term thinking and establishing big, ambitious, and long-term goals ; I also find that I, on other hand, am very incompetent when it comes to get excited and achieve short-term, small, goals and just the basics actions of everyday life. I get easily excited about the big picture but after that the small picture just looks tasteless and purposeless. I mean, what's the point of spending a lot of time in choosing what I'm gonna eat today when what I'm thinking about is the future of space exploration in the next decades or all the plans for success that I'm working on ?! :D

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

I usually tend to trust it, because when I have the feeling that I should do something without exactly knowing why and don't do it I end up feeling bad, like "I should've done it". They're most often triggered in situations where I feel down.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

There's plenty of activities that energize me. Hanging out at night in bars & nightclubs with people I like is probably one of the most energizing. Also doing sports, especially swimming. And debating with many people on subjects that I'm interested on and have good knowledge.

Doing nothing and not seeing anybody is what drains me the most.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

Even though I try to minimally adapt to each situation I don't change my behavior and thoughts a lot when around others, since I always try to be as honest and authentic as possible. However, I pick my fights and always think about the consequences of my actions, if someone tires me but not for a very important reason I just try to be a bit polite and move on. On the other hand, if someone tires me for a more important reason I'll just attack him right in the face.

Reactions: Luckyshot

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
What genre of video games do you prefer to play? When you're stressed, what do you do to alleviate stress? Do people more often than not consider you affable or too intense/serious?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What genre of video games do you prefer to play? When you're stressed, what do you do to alleviate stress? Do people more often than not consider you affable or too intense/serious?
I don't play a lot of videogames anymore but when I do it's usually strategy games, and sometimes Pokemon and Mario when I want to remember my childhood. When I'm stressed I think about joyful things, hear some good, calm music, and call a good friend to have some laughs.

Regarding the last one, it really depends, I think I'm generally perceived as friendly and good-humored but when I'm focused on working on something very important to me I can appear rude and tactless.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I don't play a lot of videogames anymore but when I do it's usually strategy games, and sometimes Pokemon and Mario when I want to remember my childhood. When I'm stressed I think about joyful things, hear some good, calm music, and call a good friend to have some laughs.

Regarding the last one, it really depends, I think I'm generally perceived as friendly and good-humored but when I'm focused on working on something very important to me I can appear rude and tactless.
Can you list the names of the strategy games that you preferred?

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Oh cmon, did you just conclude he's ESTP after you learned which games he prefers? @Duo
@Spirited First of all, I am glad you are already at the right spot. It indeed seems like either ExTJ or ESTP. Nevertheless you seem rather organized, not only in general, but also in your explanations, getting to the point. You do like sensory experience a lot, but I fail to see it's superiority to my previous observation.

Even though I conclude you are ENTJ, keep in mind there is no good evidence here to say ENTJ>ESTJ. The main argument for ENTJ>ESTP is your sense of organization.

Anyway, since you are type 3 (you think), I would advise you digging deeper into enneagram rather than MBTI.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Regarding the T/F axis, I'm a VERY emotional person but I almost never show it on the outside (and sometimes I feel like my emotional side, although strong, is quite immature)
ENTJs are generally calm and definitively not VERY emotional.

And I'm not an ESTJ because I'm clearly not SJ/Si. SJ types tend to like stability, I don't, in fact it's quite the opposite. I absolutely HATE stability and repetitive actions. I go completely crazy if I feel like my days are all the same and there's nothing new around. I deeply like, and even need (on a visceral level), change and novelty in my life.
While ENTJs also prefer some change, it's not the visceral need of novelty that you require.

Sometimes people tend to see me as arrogant but if I said all the ambitions I have and what I want to achieve in my life they'd call me completely crazy, unrealistic, and insane.
ENTJs are usually realistic in our goals.

And to be honest, I haven't perfectly defined what I want to achieve in my life (I'm 20), I just have some vague idea, which frustates me since I want to make it more precisely defined. I know one can't plan everything but I prefer, to the extent that is possible, to know where I'm going and not just go with the flow. I don't like to plan things in a rigid way, I just want to have the precise idea of where I'm going, if that makes sense. I think that what distinguishes us humans from animals is precisely the fact that we're able to set plans and goals for the future, and see things in the long-term, not just our everyday lives and what we're gonna eat today.
To put it simply, my professional life has a very central place in my life and long-term professional success is vitally essential for my happiness.
Decisions are usually very easy for Te-doms to make.

On the other hand, even if I'm very future-oriented, I absolutely like to enjoy the present moment (as long as I can keep an eye on the future). I love to, as frequently as possible, hang out in nightclubs, see hot girls, do sport, visit beautiful places, and just have fun. Which are more stereotypically SP/Se, more present-oriented, activities.
Heavy Fe and Se.
My interests include things like science in general (mainly everything that is related to space and the universe), business, economics, philosophy, politics, history, and sports.
This might be any T-type.

And, I don't know if that's relevant for the MBTI type, but I'm very attracted to radical ideas in subjects like politics and philosophy. Moderate opinions and ideas just don't appeal to me.
Radical =/= ENTJ

My issue with the ENTJ type is the "J" part (even though, for the reasons I said earlier, I'm not ENTP), I could be mistaken but I see J people as very serious and not funny. I like to have fun and laugh, I don't like to be around people who are always serious, it's just boring. Also, it may seem paradoxal but, even if I consider authority and hierarchy to be very important things in society, I myself don't like to be commanded and take orders from someone else.
And my issue with the ESTP type is the fact that this type is not future-oriented at all (again, I could be mistaken) while I'm literally always thinking about the future and what I'm gonna do tomorow, the next month, the next year, the next ten years, and so on.
Se-Fe again. ESTPs also have Ni but as an inferior function, hence likely why you agonise about the future, rather than perceiving the future with an end goal in mind.

On enneagram I'm 3w4 Sx/So (tritype 3-7-8), if that can help.
Might be either type but premised on what you've already written, 7 follows closely to your main type.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.

It's a picture of the Great Canyon, whenever I see open-wide natural spaces like this one I immediately think about exciting stuff like freedom, adventure, and all the great things I want to achieve in my life.
P.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I'm open to change some of my beliefs but only if there's strong evidence/arguments for the opposite. And the foundations generally stay the same.
Ti.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I'd say that passion, ambition, and authenticity are my most important values.

Passion is in my opinion the very heart of the meaning of life itself. I HATE banality and routine more than almost anything else. Having the "fire" and a sense of purpose is essential for me to be happy.

Ambition because since I was a little child I felt I was gonna have a great future and a tremendous success in life. It wasn't even just that I wanted it, it's that it's just how it is. Whatever it takes, it's gonna be reality one day or another, because I'm gonna do the necessary.
P, novelty seeking and ambition without an end goal in mind.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

What distinguishes myself from everyone else is certainly my determination, when I want something I go for it whatever the heck other people say, in fact it usually gives me extra-motivation when everybody says that I can't do it.

What I would like to change in my personality would be to be more attentive to everyday life and events, I easily tend to get totally lost in my thoughts and forget about what's going on around, and I sometimes forget to do important things. While I tend to think that most people are very incompetent when it comes to long-term thinking and establishing big, ambitious, and long-term goals ; I also find that I, on other hand, am very incompetent when it comes to get excited and achieve short-term, small, goals and just the basics actions of everyday life. I get easily excited about the big picture but after that the small picture just looks tasteless and purposeless. I mean, what's the point of spending a lot of time in choosing what I'm gonna eat today when what I'm thinking about is the future of space exploration in the next decades or all the plans for success that I'm working on ?! :D
ENTJs have internal clocks in our heads for what must be completed.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

There's plenty of activities that energize me. Hanging out at night in bars & nightclubs with people I like is probably one of the most energizing. Also doing sports, especially swimming. And debating with many people on subjects that I'm interested on and have good knowledge.

Doing nothing and not seeing anybody is what drains me the most.
Se-Fe.

Mainly Civilization and Football Manager.
While stereotyping, Football Manager is more in line with ESTP.

Quite possibly, but can you elaborate ?
Refer to above comments to your posts. Between the two choices of ENTJ and ESTP, you're an ESTP. This doesn't preclude other types but I didn't bother considering everything.

Oh cmon, did you just conclude he's ESTP after you learned which games he prefers? @Duo
@Spirited First of all, I am glad you are already at the right spot. It indeed seems like either ExTJ or ESTP. Nevertheless you seem rather organized, not only in general, but also in your explanations, getting to the point. You do like sensory experience a lot, but I fail to see it's superiority to my previous observation.

Even though I conclude you are ENTJ, keep in mind there is no good evidence here to say ENTJ>ESTJ. The main argument for ENTJ>ESTP is your sense of organization.

Anyway, since you are type 3 (you think), I would advise you digging deeper into enneagram rather than MBTI.
No. It was the final bit to my already decided typing of ESTP.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My emotional side is complicated because it's totally hidden to others, on the outside I always appear as strong, good-humored, and a bit insensitive whatever is happening in my life, whether I'm happy or not. If I'm not I never show it, because I don't want to be seen as weak. And when I'm extremely happy (because I've achieved something or because something great is happening to me) I usually try to contain it a bit to make it seem like it's perfectly normal and no big deal comparing to what I'm capable of.
Even some people who know me very well don't perceive that I'm feeling bad even when I'm totally down, because I do my best to hide it and totally internalize my pain.
That's probably the reason I simply can't stand people who are too emotionally expressive and are constantly expressing affection, always crying, or always falling in love with somebody, I see them as fake. Same for pathological altruism.

On the other hand, I guess the fact of being constantly hidding my strong emotions leads to a "surplus" of emotions on the inside. For instance, I can spend hours listening to romantic and sad (generally instrumental) music, even when I'm doing perfectly well. Happy music can energize me a bit but after that it quickly tires me. It's like the outside and the inside are 2 totally different parts of my personality.

In short, the thing is that I'm very emotional but almost never show it and clearly lack emotional intelligence.

ESTPs also have Ni but as an inferior function, hence likely why you agonise about the future, rather than perceiving the future with an end goal in mind.
That's an interesting point, could explain a lot.

Might be either type but premised on what you've already written, 7 follows closely to your main type
I certainly have strong 7 leanings and I totally get why I can seem like a 7 on the outside but my motives in life are far more in line with the type 3. I'm heavily (and, I would say, sometimes insanely) image-focused, not in the sense of pleasing other people but in the sense of being seen by everybody as a successful person, whether in professional life (the most important) or social life. Success is my motor. If I achieve some great thing and nobody knows about it I will feel disappointed, I have an enormous need for recognition. And this focus on image and need for recognition sometimes clashes with the need for authenticity.

My biggest fear would be to, at the end of my life, look back at my whole life and think something like "Oh, I didn't realize anything great...", I would consider that my life would've been a failure. But I don't even think about this scenario since I'm fully confident that I have the determination and the skills required to realize great things.

Think in terms of priorities, having a fun life is pretty high on my list but professional success is even higher. I usualy seek both but when they clash I don't hesitate in choosing what will bring me closer to the latter, because ultimately that's what's meaningful for me. I could have the funniest life in the world, if it's not clearly going in the direction of huge professional success I would consider it a total failure.

@SpiritedNevertheless you seem rather organized, not only in general, but also in your explanations, getting to the point.
The reason I have some issues with typing myself as a "J" type is that I don't see myself as an organized person. Or rather, my environment is usually disorganized but on the other hand I hate being late and I like my time to be organized. Again, it's all a matter of priorities, I don't spend a lot of time organizing my room because I would see it as a waste of time comparing to higher prorities. Time is scarce and I try to use it as wisely as possible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
After some research, I guess ESTP makes more sense. Strangely enough, mostly because of the inferior Ni, my biggest fears and sources of anxiety in life are virtually all linked to negative projections in the future and an incapacity to efficiently predict it.

On the other hand, I don't think I fit in the description of the typical ESTP, and as I understand it my Ni is much more present and invasive in my life than in most ESTP's, but I don't seem to have a better control of it than most ESTP's, if you see what I mean.

Do some of you know how inferior Ni works (especially in ESTP's) ?

·
Registered
10,016 Posts

While ENTJs also prefer some change, it's not the visceral need of novelty that you require.

ENTJs are usually realistic in our goals.

Decisions are usually very easy for Te-doms to make.

Heavy Fe and Se.
This might be any T-type.

Radical =/= ENTJ

Se-Fe again. ESTPs also have Ni but as an inferior function, hence likely why you agonise about the future, rather than perceiving the future with an end goal in mind.

Might be either type but premised on what you've already written, 7 follows closely to your main type.

P.

Ti.

P, novelty seeking and ambition without an end goal in mind.

ENTJs have internal clocks in our heads for what must be completed.

Se-Fe.

While stereotyping, Football Manager is more in line with ESTP.

Refer to above comments to your posts. Between the two choices of ENTJ and ESTP, you're an ESTP. This doesn't preclude other types but I didn't bother considering everything.

No. It was the final bit to my already decided typing of ESTP.
Agreed

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
After some research, I guess ESTP makes more sense. Strangely enough, mostly because of the inferior Ni, my biggest fears and sources of anxiety in life are virtually all linked to negative projections.

On the other hand, I don't think I fit in the description of the typical ESTP, and as I understand it my Ni is much more present and invasive in my life than in most ESTP's, but I don't seem to have a better control of it than most ESTP's, if you see what I mean.

Do some of you know how inferior Ni works (especially in ESTP's) ?

I was asked what does inferior Ni look like.

Well it is misperceptions on how something like for example how someone looked at you, making up a prediction storyline in your head and being totally off base about what is actually happening. I am pretty good at reading what is happening but when I try and attach meaning as to why, shit hits the fan fast. I usually expect the worst, all the while later hearing I was so off the mark but in the midst of it I can be actually manifesting my fate when something originally never was the case or even if I had an accurate hunch the tide was still low and I could have avoided turbulence. That's a worst case scenario. So yes I am usually dead on perceiving what someone is doing I am not imagining someone's behavior or look etc it's the symbolism I attach to it is often off. This is worst case scenario. This is really bad use of inferior Ni.

My paranoid use of Ni that can get put to good use in my case is for example scheduling like for work. Because Inferior Ni works in hyper over drive when it's assessing there is almost no rock or possibility unturned when I am preparing and doing a controlled base analysis. So in this case my inferior Ni can pay off and actually can be more astute than a dom or aux (not because I am better at it, far from) actually though because I am worse at it so it's always that nagging thing for me where I know I better think ahead. Haha I was told by almost every authority figure ever, think ahead. So I excel pretty well with Ti/Ni scheduling simply because I am overcompensating to prevent and this pays off. Much like how tert & inferior Se users will actually pay more attention to Se on a Conscious level at times than even myself.

Another example which is more generic to describe inferior Ni is us Se doms are impulsive. Hence why I probably like scheduling (it's something I can control). Obviously everyone sees impulsive in Se dom descriptions well it's true. Inferior Ni can also completely be not operated or ignored which is where I think you can see the Se shit show effect. Where this can be good as we are free in whatever said moment where it can be bad is if there are true signs of warning and fall out and we either ignore or don't pick up on them. This is actually something that can devastate an Se doms not just in a moment but entire life and easily spiral things out of control. It's really important for Se users to get a firm grasp on this and start to see value in pulling back and not serving all their impulses or to assess if a bad instinct coming on should actually be honored and considered. But going into the example I gave 1st with when we can miss the boat with Ni it can be hard to learn to navigate when we should trust this nagging or hesitate. Because we can end up with good reason after missing the ball in our own story creations and renditions end up scared to use it because we have a harder time trusting that. It needs to be learned and navigated. At worst case scenario the worst Se doms I have seen who were crazy toxic and unhealthy lost all sight of Ni to help regulate them. They see no reason why any of their actions have consequences and things happen to them hence a reason to justify more bad behavior and get the fuck it's.

I have myself had very eerie premonitions in life which I think really were subconscious Ni. I still struggle with trusting it but i have learned to trust it more.

An example of inferior Ni in a good use, my sister INFJ this morning calls me up and has a bad feeling about work. Well maybe what she is sensing is accurate but she wanted to use her inferior Se and just go ask the boss if he wanted to fire her, uh me NOOOO! Lol I was like let it play out. All you're going to do is draw bad attention to yourself by doing that. Also what will be will be. See I am decent with light inferior Ni use if I am removed from a situation observing. The tension or nagging questioning use of it where I can over think it is more so when I have to apply it directly to myself I really struggle there. I have very decent developed use though of assessing outside myself in many cases. Come to think of it I may have possibly had the turning point of becoming more socially introverted around the time the dust cleared and I could stand back and see so much. (This probably came about mid to late 20s). As I said I still struggle with applying it with myself in the most conducive way but I have improved on learning to try to avoid paranoia and rather focus on cause and effect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I was asked what does inferior Ni look like.

Well it is misperceptions on how something like for example how someone looked at you, making up a prediction storyline in your head and being totally off base about what is actually happening. I am pretty good at reading what is happening but when I try and attach meaning as to why, shit hits the fan fast. I usually expect the worst, all the while later hearing I was so off the mark but in the midst of it I can be actually manifesting my fate when something originally never was the case or even if I had an accurate hunch the tide was still low and I could have avoided turbulence. That's a worst case scenario. So yes I am usually dead on perceiving what someone is doing I am not imagining someone's behavior or look etc it's the symbolism I attach to it is often off. This is worst case scenario. This is really bad use of inferior Ni.

My paranoid use of Ni that can get put to good use in my case is for example scheduling like for work. Because Inferior Ni works in hyper over drive when it's assessing there is almost no rock or possibility unturned when I am preparing and doing a controlled base analysis. So in this case my inferior Ni can pay off and actually can be more astute than a dom or aux (not because I am better at it, far from) actually though because I am worse at it so it's always that nagging thing for me where I know I better think ahead. Haha I was told by almost every authority figure ever, think ahead. So I excel pretty well with Ti/Ni scheduling simply because I am overcompensating to prevent and this pays off. Much like how tert & inferior Se users will actually pay more attention to Se on a Conscious level at times than even myself.

Another example which is more generic to describe inferior Ni is us Se doms are impulsive. Hence why I probably like scheduling (it's something I can control). Obviously everyone sees impulsive in Se dom descriptions well it's true. Inferior Ni can also completely be not operated or ignored which is where I think you can see the Se shit show effect. Where this can be good as we are free in whatever said moment where it can be bad is if there are true signs of warning and fall out and we either ignore or don't pick up on them. This is actually something that can devastate an Se doms not just in a moment but entire life and easily spiral things out of control. It's really important for Se users to get a firm grasp on this and start to see value in pulling back and not serving all their impulses or to assess if a bad instinct coming on should actually be honored and considered. But going into the example I gave 1st with when we can miss the boat with Ni it can be hard to learn to navigate when we should trust this nagging or hesitate. Because we can end up with good reason after missing the ball in our own story creations and renditions end up scared to use it because we have a harder time trusting that. It needs to be learned and navigated. At worst case scenario the worst Se doms I have seen who were crazy toxic and unhealthy lost all sight of Ni to help regulate them. They see no reason why any of their actions have consequences and things happen to them hence a reason to justify more bad behavior and get the fuck it's.

I have myself had very eerie premonitions in life which I think really were subconscious Ni. I still struggle with trusting it but i have learned to trust it more.

An example of inferior Ni in a good use, my sister INFJ this morning calls me up and has a bad feeling about work. Well maybe what she is sensing is accurate but she wanted to use her inferior Se and just go ask the boss if he wanted to fire her, uh me NOOOO! Lol I was like let it play out. All you're going to do is draw bad attention to yourself by doing that. Also what will be will be. See I am decent with light inferior Ni use if I am removed from a situation observing. The tension or nagging questioning use of it where I can over think it is more so when I have to apply it directly to myself I really struggle there. I have very decent developed use though of assessing outside myself in many cases. Come to think of it I may have possibly had the turning point of becoming more socially introverted around the time the dust cleared and I could stand back and see so much. (This probably came about mid to late 20s). As I said I still struggle with applying it with myself in the most conducive way but I have improved on learning to try to avoid paranoia and rather focus on cause and effect.
Quite an interesting post.

The impulsive part is definitely true in my case.

I spend a lot of time planning things and my future, and thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking a lot about it but at the end... I always end up doing nothing according to plans and just acting on impulse (one of the reasons I don't see myself as an organized person). And I would say that both my best and worst decisions ever were made on pure impulse.
It's like I spend a lot of time overthinking and then I'm like... Fuck it ! I'm just gonna do it and we'll see what happens. And I actually do it (for the better or for the worse). Even when the risks are pretty big.

My current situation is a pretty good example of this :

I was born in Portugal and lived in France since I was 5 years old (I'm 20), but I always wanted to come back to Portugal and in my head it had always been crystal clear that some day I would. For a variety of reasons : the way of life in Portugal, the good climate, nostalgia, and, perhaps most importantly, simply the fact that that's my home country.
So, a few months ago I was still in France and after thinking, thinking, thinking, and thinking about the possibility of going back to Portugal I decided to quit university in the first months of the academic year (without even establishing a clear plan of how I would go back to Portugal). Not because I didn't like the course but because I was so depressed and down that I couldn't find any motivation (the few health issues I had in the last 2 years may also have played a role) until I came back to Portugal. I like France but I just felt that my time there had past and that I had to go back to Portugal, not exactly sure why, it really was a gut instinct. Whatever would happen, my decision was taken : I was going back to Portugal in september. The problem was that I didn't know if I would be accepted at the portuguese university, how I would find a side-job to make some money, and not even where I would live. I wasn't sure about all of those things until september (last month). But I was surprisingly not stressed and extremely relaxed about it, my biggest worries in the last months were on more long-term and abtract issues like what path would the meaning and purpose of my life take with this decision. I of course even considered the possibility that everything would turn out wrong and that I would stay in France. Fortunately, everything turned out very well and in september I finally came back to Portugal.

It was a crazy, and even I would say completely irresponsible, risk, but I don't regret this decision for one second. It was the best thing to do and, although It's only been 2 months since I arrived, I'm a lot happier with my life now than I was some months ago.

But it could have gone completely wrong (and some of my previous impulsive decisions like this one have actually gone pretty wrong). I could have not been accepted at the university, and my parents are in a quite difficult financial situations so they couldn't help me. In this scenario I don't know what the heck I would've done...

And then there's still the question of meaning and purpose that I'm totally obsessed with, and it's frustrating to have a hard time finding it. I know professional success has a very important role in my sense of meaning but I still can't firmly grasp why... I see making a lot of money as an indispensible part of success (at least what I see as my vision of my own success, not saying that other people can't be perfectly happy without making much money), not just for the sake of making money but for a higher purpose that I still can't firmly grasp either...
Also, the place is important for me, and I currently have absolutely no idea of whether I'm gonna stay in Portugal or not after graduating. I have very ambitious professional goals and, to my great sadness, Portugal isn't the most favorable place for it... But for now I just needed to be back here for at least some years.

And it's funny because I have a tendancy to worry a lot about VERY little things (like some small symptoms that I immediately interpret as a serious disease) just because I can't 100% predict it but on the other hand I can take completely crazy risks without worrying about it for one second.

But maybe in this case the lack of overworrying was in the fact that I don't see university as a fundamental part of my path to professional success, but rather just as an option where I can developp some useful skills and knowledge. It just clearly isn't the big part, since a college degree has increasingly became a banal, and therefore less valuable, thing. Still, I currently haven't found any promising alternative to university where I could jump in.

As far as I'm concerned, i'm troubled by the fact that I've had quite a lot of premonitory dreams, generally not about big events but just some random stuff of everyday life. Since I rely a lot on logic to understand events and consider mystical explanations to be bullshit (although for some reason I, paradoxically, find some beauty on it and am generally highly intrigued by such explanations) it always bothers me when I can't find rational explanations, such as in this case. First I just considered it to be a multitude of coincidences but now I just accept that I haven't found the explanation yet.

Well, that was a big post where I ended up exposing my personal life but I hope it was useful in order to have some other opinions ;)

The other possibility for you is possibly you could be ENFJ
Didn't thought about that. I think I love confrontation too much and am too brutally honest to be an Fe-dom, but I'm curious about why you think it's a possibility ?

Though they have the same functions as ESTP so maybe there's a bit of overlap since as I said I don't exactly fit in some aspects of ESTP descriptions.

·
Registered
10,016 Posts
I only suggested it as a 3rd option because it's almost the combination of ENTJ + ESTP quality

Um after reading your last post that is totally ESTP :laughing:

ESTP generally rank among the most organized or successful of Perceivers I am just saying 'we' have an ability to be great organizers (hence 'coach' ).

I will share with you I have a various background that's eclectic as far as jobs but it's essentially all centered around Coordinating, that's a lotta planning. The thing is I build more in my head and usually end up modifying or simplifying things as it plays out or improvising but the point I was trying to get across to you was I can usually think out and plan quite a bit some plans I will carry out while others I end up abandoning. I like projects though. I have always been a write a bunch of ideas and concepts down person. Seriously since I was little little. Not talking about like shopping list 'boring' planning but models and concepts for ideas I have scribbles to this day on ideas. I don't do everything, however I end up picking and choosing and carry out plenty.

I would maybe abandon some of the stereotypes a tad. ESTP can be great planners, they can be very reliable, matured ESTP are often regarded as extremely efficient and effective.

Anyways I find a really hard time picturing an ENTJ abruptly leaving college without a direct plan. That screams Se. I left a job like that similarly and just like you said I took wisdom and having the experience as a pay off even if I sorta kicked myself in the ass for my impulsive consequences.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Hating routine= estp, Fe on the basis that you feel more in tune with connecting to people. Strategy games= often Ti based.not Te dom as it's not inclined to backwards rationalization and doubting primary supposition. To Te personalities it's very what you get is what you see, Ti on the hand has to understand why something is the way it is.not necessarily that one logic is superior to the other but have their own strengths and assorted weakness.guess it comes down to people skills, had an ENTJ running my families business and their people skills can be utter shit.wasnt very impressed by his ability plus he did a great job fucking shit up.guess corporate America is not everyone's calling.i find them much more so to engage in what I like to call dilussional thinking.consider yourself blessed, ENTJs would probably trade many things for common sense or people skills for that matter.plus as a side note Te personalities can be passive aggressive, rather than assertive.

Reactions: Spirited

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
@Duo just curios how would you know what it's like to be ESTP? Better yet, don't answer that as I already know the answer.its rhetorical, one type can't speak for another.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts