Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been a lurker here for quite some time. Having a better understanding of cognitive functions lead me to the belief that I'm an STP. For awhile I thought I was an NTJ but my Se is just too strong. My childhood is a bit fuzzy but from what I can recall I was often outside and I wanted to be the best at whatever suited my interest. The latter hasn't changed but during my teen years possibly due to parenting I may be a forced introvert or became one. Since I didn't fit in anywhere.

That leads me to questioning if I'm a real introvert or its just my Ti. A lot of qualities or habits ISTP's on this forum have I don't. The same can be said for ESTP. My INTJ friend whom I met online was surprised by my voice since he expected a more monotone speech pattern.

ISTP traits
Poker face, I seldom if ever show emotions.
Reads a lot about whatever I'm interested in
Doesn't mind being alone
Very logically and make decisions based on principals and facts
Independent
Doesn't run away from conflict or criticism
Hates when people try to read in between the lines of my words. I say what I mean and seldom if ever nothing else.
Works very hard at attaining mastery of my craft
Likes philosophy and theory
Strong and silent, I don't talk as often as my extroverted friends. But I do respond as fast as them

ESPT traits
Easy to talk to, others have told me they don't feel judged.
I'm not passive aggressive, I'm very direct and honest with my views and needs.
Not afraid to speak up and tell someone to f**k off.
Ambitious nature, at work people often assume that I have a manager or supervisor position.
I tend to initiate conversations
Normally only learns something that is useful. Like Im interested in MBTI to improve myself.
Wants to be the best at what I do, I seek status but this could be an enneagram thing.
Have been told I'm one of the most motivating people my friends know

I lean towards ISTP except there are too many variables that conflict. Maybe it's just stereotypes or something that I don't fit. Like for instance I read a lot of ISTP prefer to text than talk on the phone. Heard a lot of ISTP tend to ignore problems where as I face them. I heard the moniker promoter, salesman none of that fits me. Can't tell the difference between Se-Ti or Ti-Se. All I know is I tend to notice things subconsciously. Anything from a random squirrel, a cut on someone's body, hear someone's phone vibrate. It's like a sixth sense.

I'm not super spontaneous or random. Most if not all my actions are for a reason. I always think ahead but I'm not a good long range planner. I carry this fire according to my friends. I'm just so ambitious and driven they know I'm not content with failure. I honestly don't know where I draw my energy from. So it boils down to an ISTP with early development of Fe or an introverted ESTP who doesn't like clubbing or going anywhere that doesn't suit their interest.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
I consider myself to be an asocial extrovert, but wouldn't claim to be an introvert. I know there can be a fine line between types based on stereotypes. I see that you've been looking into the cognitive functions. Where does Ni sit for you? Is it something you use in a tertiary sense or is it still foreign (depending upon your age)? If you've experienced the Ni-grip, then you're probably ESTP. There's some information in the SP/ESTP sub-forum on grips.

Also don't rely on monikers, they're all garbage. I know what you're talking about with the "sixth sense", it's a hypersensitivity to everything going on around you.

Reactions: Shooter

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually reading your thread on here which was very helpful. Hmmm Ni well I think I only tap into it the few times I day dream or fantasizes about something happening. Ni more often than not tends to show up when I'm depress and it shows me a failed future. But when I'm positive I think it shows me a positive future. The definition of Ni has always been a bit confusing to me. I highly believe I use Ni subconsciously when I play cards because I tend to more often than not pick the right cards. I can't explain how I do it, my friends used to think I cheated until they noticed it was a consistent thing.

I think Ni gives me my interest in the surreal (scifi, anime, ghost, whatever) but my Se always pulls me from it because I have better things to focus on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This was exactly my conflict a little while ago. I considered myself an ESTP because I tend to be pretty outgoing around friends & family, & I figured I might just be a quiet extrovert. I concluded that this must be the case, but after studying MBTI & cognative functions etc etc, I realized that I'm much more introverted & the TI function is very strong. I self-reflect a lot, I tend to be aloof or stand-offish looking around people, more reserved, comfortable with not talking to anyone. Still, I am pretty fun to be around if you get to know me, I laugh a lot & joke around & am very goofy, but I've noticed this is more in a smaller group setting & only with people I'm really well aquainted with.

So by your description, I'd say it seems you are more introverted. ISTPs are also very straight forward, if they are approached about their opinion, & easily speak their mind. One of my many sayings in life is "I'll say something if something needs to be said." That's typically an ISTP's attitude when it comes to socializing. If you identify with that at all, you're most likely introverted, at least more so than extroverted. Also, if your TI function is strong, ESTP is not very likely. If you get more tired & feel like you need some space from it all after a while when you're socializing, that's also an indication of introversion. Like, after a bit of being around people, I just get this urge to go somewhere by myself & think things over, although I'm guessing I take longer to wear out than most introverted types. So yeah, it can be difficult, but it's ok.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yes I'm bumping this. Shooter I'm going through pretty much the same thing as you. Hypersensitivity as well as switching from XNTJ . Its been a long while getting up to this point so I am very interested in the answer to finally move on. This search has gone from interestingly useful to annoyingly irritating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts