Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Meh.
ENTJ
8,165 Posts
In my experience with these 2 types: ENTP's are more future oriented than ESTP's. ESTP's, as I've experienced them, are the essence of In The Moment. The ENTP is more concerned with concepts, the ESTP with immediate action.

That's two only. ... invalid?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'll speak from my experience being a female ENTP friends with a female ESTP.

As an ENTP: more concerned about thinking of ideas or stuff that would be potentially fun
ESTP friend: more likely to push me to do said stuff or actually test her ideas. In general, she's more of a doer I'm more of a hypothetical doer.

ENTP: my humor is more derivative. So for example we were both volunteering together and I missed the first meeting and the second meeting everyone kept saying oh you're the missing girl! It reminded me of evolution and darwin and I said yes darwin you found me. I know it's lame but that's the most recent example I can think of.

ESTP: she's more (concretely?) funny. She's more prone to calling guys vaginas or being snarky about someone's appearance but it's still quite witty.

ENTP: I'm very unfit and lazy, I'd rather keep my figure by watching what I eat.
ESTP: she's very fit and goes to the gym regularly. She's also more of an active person than I am, she walks very fast and is more into physical activities. While I don't mind just sitting and talking/discussing things for hours.

ESTP thoughts of the ENTP: I presume she thinks I'm smart but I'm a slacker and I could apply myself more.
ENTP thoughts of ESTP: I think it's crazy that she does not know what she wants to do in the future. She's studying sciences and is quite clever but when I ask her what she sees herself doing she says she doesn't know and she hasnt given it much thought.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,428 Posts
l think some ENP vs ESP will have different traits that stand out as being in contrast to each other, but my experience is a lot like the above poster.

That essence of a kind of ''round a bout'' approach we have that l never really consider to be round a bout until other people comment on it. Now l know what my grandma mean when she told me not to ''talk in circles'' growing up, but l didn't really get it then :laughing:

For example, something like that Darwin joke...l wouldn't have told a joke like that per se, but there is a similar communication gap in some instances, due to ENTP going inward and coming out with a response that is no longer suited to the immediate context and may require clarification.

Sometimes l think they get annoyed with me for thinking too much but l probably read too much into it.

·
Banned
24 Posts
ENTP thoughts of ESTP: I think it's crazy that she does not know what she wants to do in the future. She's studying sciences and is quite clever but when I ask her what she sees herself doing she says she doesn't know and she hasnt given it much thought.
Yep, my ENTP friend thinks the same of me. She's always coming up with possible plans for the future, while I'm just doing what feels right at the moment.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I used to think I was an ENTP for the longest time, and have tested ENTP as well every time. It wasn't until I went through a lot of struggles a few years ago when my mentality changed on the future, seeing as how much I would think and prepare for future events would be worth it, but several times I have been proven to be terribly terribly horribly wrong.

Since then I feel like the way I think and process information have changed drastically, for better or for worse. I tend to think of just the now, seeing that the future can change in an instant and usually out of your control.

ENTPs I know tend to more or less ramble on based off of connections they have with something they just said. At times other people seem to mistake it as jumping around, but most of the time at least I'm able to follow their train of thought.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I think ESTP's are more concerned with our public image/persona than ENTP's. While we may fail to plan and live in the moment, a healthy ESTP has a leash because our tertiary Fe cares what people think and our auxiliary Ti has us thinking on our feet.

ESTP's are people and action oriented while ENTP's are more focused on the abstract. ENTP friends from when I was a teenager, would come up with a bad idea. I would gold star the idea and grab my coat and pump the idea up. ENTP friends would initially reluctantly follow suite but warm up to the idea on the way and work on a plausible explanation in case we got caught. I would do the talking if/when we got caught. This is why ENTP's make great friends. They're bound to be sitting in the security/school office right next to you waiting for either parents, police or both to show up. So many friends would be bitching at me but ENTP's would remember how much fun we had before we got caught.

ENTP's instigate deeper conversations than ESTP's usually. One of the few types that can make abstract topics interesting enough to get into. Most perspectives are just to damn boring so I evade the topics.

That's just my perspective.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am reminded of this quote:

Jung said:
Just as extraverted sensation strives to reach the highest pitch of actuality, because only thus can the appearance of a complete life be created, so intuition tries to encompass the greatest possibilities, since only through the awareness of possibilities is intuition fullysatisfied. Intuition seeks to discover possibilities in the objective situation; hence as a mere tributary function (viz. when not in the position of priority) it is also the instrument which, in the presence of a hopelessly blocked situation, works automatically towards the issue, which no other function could discover. Where intuition has the priority, every ordinary situation in life seems like a closed room, which intuition has to open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts