Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I've taken the test, I've gotten ESTP and a lot of it describes me pretty dead on. Blunt, a bit insensitive, adventurer, witty, sociable as fuck, outdoorsy, all that jazz, but there are 3 "main" aspects I don't feel describe me that well.

I'm all for adventure, I crossed the country a summer ago, living out a car and hotels, visiting new cities, hanging out in national parks, but I'm not one to involve in risky behavior persay. You're not going to convince me to go 100mph on the busy highway or sky dive and I feel like that risk factor is considered a huge part of an ESTP that I don't necessarily have. Now mind you, I'm a girl and since ESTP are majority men, maybe a women ESTP takes more calculated risks.

Another aspect I notice is that ESTP hate school or rather hate the formal class setting and are more hands on. While I agree I live for hands-on shit (I was an archaeology major, I liked to get dirty), I was excellent in college; tests were easy for me, I hardly had to study to get straight A's and I did excellent on papers and naturally presentations. I graduated with a 3.9 but it seems like most ESTP talk about struggling and I don't see many here saying they were good or even liked school and I did, if only for the competition. Getting A's was like winning to me and it made me feel very much more awesome than anyone else who wasn't "as smart" as I.

The last non-ESTP feature lies in relationships. I'm not very flightly or unstable like it sort of suggests. I realize this is a sterotype, but many seem to relish in their fun party nights and getting laid, but I'm much more a partner kind of person (truthfully one night stands kind of freak me out, STDS are a NOT COOL- fuck that) so I'm in a very stable relationship and I enjoy it. I will say before him I was an extremely independent girl who showed little interest in relationships during college. I knew when guys had crushes on me and I was friends with them, so they probably thought I was a tease but I never intentional fucked with someone, but I did not really "have time" for exploits I knew would lead nowhere, I was much happier staying mysterious and free. I have to say that I feel like if my current bf and I are just going to chill forever together (as lame as that sounds, we dig each other a lot) but if we did in fact break up, I'd be sad like a normal human being would, but I don't think I'd pine forever like some do and I do think ESTP roll with the flow and just accept the facts given, which I would.

Any feedback on why I don't fit the criteria or if I sound like another type? At first when I got the result, I was pretty satisfied but a little questioning about the parts that didn't fit me. But when looking at types one letter off to see if I was another match, they weren't me at all.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm all for adventure, I crossed the country a summer ago, living out a car and hotels, visiting new cities, hanging out in national parks, but I'm not one to involve in risky behavior persay.

Another aspect I notice is that ESTP hate school or rather hate the formal class setting and are more hands on. While I agree I live for hands-on shit (I was an archaeology major, I liked to get dirty), I was excellent in college; tests were easy for me, I hardly had to study to get straight A's and I did excellent on papers and naturally presentations. I graduated with a 3.9 but it seems like most ESTP talk about struggling and I don't see many here saying they were good or even liked school and I did, if only for the competition. Getting A's was like winning to me and it made me feel very much more awesome than anyone else who wasn't "as smart" as I.

The last non-ESTP feature lies in relationships. I'm not very flightly or unstable like it sort of suggests. I realize this is a sterotype, but many seem to relish in their fun party nights and getting laid, but I'm much more a partner kind of person (truthfully one night stands kind of freak me out, STDS are a NOT COOL- fuck that) so I'm in a very stable relationship and I enjoy it. I will say before him I was an extremely independent girl who showed little interest in relationships during college. I knew when guys had crushes on me and I was friends with them, so they probably thought I was a tease but I never intentional fucked with someone, but I did not really "have time" for exploits I knew would lead nowhere, I was much happier staying mysterious and free. I have to say that I feel like if my current bf and I are just going to chill forever together (as lame as that sounds, we dig each other a lot) but if we did in fact break up, I'd be sad like a normal human being would, but I don't think I'd pine forever like some do and I do think ESTP roll with the flow and just accept the facts given, which I would.

Any feedback on why I don't fit the criteria or if I sound like another type? At first when I got the result, I was pretty satisfied but a little questioning about the parts that didn't fit me. But when looking at types one letter off to see if I was another match, they weren't me at all.
Many would consider your travels risky behavior. Perhaps not as risky as hitch hiking or train hopping.

I didn't hate school, I actually love learning. I dislike how school is structured. If given the choice between learning how to build a house by reading, writing, and listening to someone or by blood, sweat, and working with someone; I'd prefer the latter. Which is most likely why I took a lot of activity based electives such as scuba, swing dancing, snowboarding, and also minored in Art. Grades have never been important to me, the end goal for me was a piece of paper. Archaeology is cool, I ended up getting a master's in historic preservation which is somewhat related.

Just because you are not a slut doesn't make you not an ESTP. I say the stereotype associated with our relationships come more from commitment issues than anything else. You said it yourself, you'd be happier staying mysterious and free and chilling forever with your bf. Meaning you value being independent and being noncommittal.

Based off of what you've stated, I have no issues with verifying your ESTPness and welcoming you to the clubhouse. :perc2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info! I do feel like being an ESTP is very true to me. I just found those qualities so prevalent, I began to wonder how much variation there can be.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You sound a lot like me, actually. ESTPs aren't these mindless awesome radical action machines. :perc2:....but we are pretty rad.

I liked school. I enjoy learning, especially hands-on stuff. But like HOLYSHIZZY said, I didn't care for the structure. It's logically inconsistent and doesn't apply to the different learning styles individuals have.

(Just look at that monkey smirking. What an asshole.)

I did very well in school, but when certain things were illogically reprimanded, I started to care less and less. Realizing my grades didn't necessarily matter after a certain point in college in the real world, I went "wild", but I'm a very cautious person myself. Being a girl, well you almost have to be. There's more at stake (if you care about social stigma), and maybe more of a risk. I would take impromptu road trips across the country as well, but I wouldn't do it alone, and have at least a few friends with me just in case.

I find the descriptions of ESTP to vary. Some are fairly decent, a lot of them aren't and just go off stereotypes. Plus, I don't like rules, and you probably don't care too much about them either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This describes me a lot. and I have wondered too about whether I am a true ESTP. Like you, I am not a particularly risky person either. I do travel all over the place though like you. But I am also totally fine with sitting around with one friend chilling. I don't ALWAYS have to be doing something exciting. Also what you said about relationships rings true with me too. I never loved school though. I love knowing things and hands on learning. But I had no patience for school. I was a straight A student nonetheless, even though I hated it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i relate to a lot of this. especially the part about school. i loved getting good grades and being the best, i guess that's my competitive side. i was a bit of an overachiever until i eventually got bored and quit applying myself, but yeah up until then i was very academically oriented.

from all that plus the fact that you relate to the rest of the descriptions, i'd say you're an ESTP :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts