Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know a lot about MBTI (actually I don't even know what these letters mean! :p), but in a test i took 66% ESTP, so it looks like it could be right. Do you think that test are accurate enough to understand which MBTI type we are?

Does any other 9 relate with ESTP?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't know a lot about MBTI (actually I don't even know what these letters mean! :p), but in a test i took 66% ESTP, so it looks like it could be right. Do you think that test are accurate enough to understand which MBTI type we are?

Does any other 9 relate with ESTP?
Tests are generally highly unreliable for determining your MBTI type, especially if it's not the official MBTI. In my opinion, I find the fault to be more in the individual than the test itself though. Figuring out your MBTI type takes quite a bit of self-awareness which is usually achieved over time, after conducting research and engaging in introspection/reflection. With that said however, tests can still be right.

I think ESTP 9's are pretty rare (though I think I am one!), most common enneatype for them is 7, followed by, I believe, 8 and 3. If you have any doubts, you can always look into ISTP as a MBTI type, they're more likely to be 9's, though any MBTI type can be any enneatype.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tests are generally highly unreliable for determining your MBTI type, especially if it's not the official MBTI. In my opinion, I find the fault to be more in the individual than the test itself though. Figuring out your MBTI type takes quite a bit of self-awareness which is usually achieved over time, after conducting research and engaging in introspection/reflection. With that said however, tests can still be right.

I think ESTP 9's are pretty rare (though I think I am one!), most common enneatype for them is 7, followed by, I believe, 8 and 3. If you have any doubts, you can always look into ISTP as a MBTI type, they're more likely to be 9's, though any MBTI type can be any enneatype.
Thanks, any suggestion about where to find interesting information about MBTI types? I've found the MBTI forums quite messy. I don't think to be introvert, by the way I may have got a wrong clue of the word.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Reactions: rajAs

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. A lot of people dont like the google pages but I do think they are a decent place to start for beginners. does this sound like you?

Portrait of an ESTP

Also, your functions (in order)

Se - Extraverted Sensing
Ti - Introverted Thinking - (Ti)
Fe - Extraverted Feeling (Fe)
Ni - Introverted iNtuiting - (Ni)
I can't understand what a dominant function actually is. The order you reported means that Se is dominant on Ti, which is more dominant than Fe and so on? Is this automatic since I'm P and not J?

I relate quite well with the single descrptions of these cognitive functions, but the overall "ESTP standard guy" doesn't match completely.

Thanks for your patience :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
The P and J thing is really messy and confusing. Intuition and Sensing functions are "Perceiving", and Thinking and Feeling functions are "Judging". The J and P is assigned not by your dominant function, but by your first Extraverted function.
So, ESTP is Perceiving because the first extraverted function is Extraverted Sensing, and Sensing is Perceiving.
With ISTP, the first extraverted function is still extraverted sensing (even though it's the second function), which is still perceiving.
A lot of the descriptions seem sort of accurate but not completely, and that's because they generally describe a person who has only developed their top two functions. But most people are far more complex, and use functions to different extents, so nobody fits a profile exactly.
Cognitive functions are more accurate than the type descriptions generally, so keep looking at those!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the answer, but how do I understand which is my first extraverted function. I mean, why is my sensing extraverted? Is it simply because I'm Extraverted and not Intraverted? How could I then be ESTJ, instead?

·
Registered
134 Posts
OH, I see what you're asking. The ESTJ has different functions from an ESTP.
ESTJ is:
1. Extraverted Thinking (Te)
2. Introverted Sensing (Si)
3. Extraverted Intuition (Ne)
4. Introverted Feeling (Fi)
and ESTP is:
1. Extraverted Sensing (Se)
2. Introverted Thinking (Ti)
3. Extraverted Feeling (Fi)
4. Introverted Intuition (Ni)
So, for example, Extraverted Thinking (Te) and Introverted Thinking (Ti) are two different functions with different purposes. Te tends to look for external data, patterns, sources of information, logic with validation, etc... basically the Scientific Method. Ti, on the other hand, uses more personal logic and seeks truth for its own sake. Te looks for applications of ideas, and Ti looks at ideas on their own.
So ESTP and ESTJ use very different methods of thinking, and even though the letters look similar, they have no main functions in common. The stickied threads here have a lot of good information on the different functions.

·
Registered
281 Posts
the letters are confusing to people who haven't studied the system and they really should probably be done away with so people can actually focus on the functions. anyway, if you were an ESTP you would know that your first function is extraverted, however all extraverted perceivers use irrational functions as their primary. all irrational functions are functions that involve taking in information. in this case, the only function that is irrational, extraverted and sensing is extraverted sensing. after following a function that is either Extraverted or introverted comes the opposite type. for example, since your first function was extraverted, your second function is always going to be introverted. what follows the first function depends on whether or not the function was irrational or rational. a rational function (judging) can only come next if the first was irrational. (perceiving) judging functions imply either feeling or thinking and we know based on your type "estp; extraverted sensing thinking perceiving" that you're using a thinking function before a feeling function. Therefore your next function would be introverted thinking. from this we know the order of the next 2 functions because the pattern of "introverted/extraverted" always continues as well as the fact that every function has its designated partner. extraverted sensing is always paired with introverted intuition (or vice versa). extraverted intuition is always paired with introverted sensing. extraverted thinking is always paired with introverted feeling. extraverted feeling is always paired with introverted thinking. so since your first 2 functions are extraverted sensing and introverted thinking, your next are as follows the logical pairing. (with keeping in mind that an introverted function can never follow another introverted function and an extraverted function can never follow another extraverted function AND the fact that your primary function's partner is always going to be your "weakest" link.) so therefore extraverted sensing / introverted thinking / extraverted feeling / introverted intuition are the order of your functions. i imagine this is going to be a wall of unorganized text.. sry:)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thanks a lot you both, I thought that MBTI was quite simpler. It's something deeper and even more interesting, instead. Thanks a lot again :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
someone like me!

I too am an estp/enneagram 9. I will tell you that I now understand why people are always intrigued by me...b/c the two seem like an oxymoron. Gaining knowledge about my personality and the personality of others has truly help me to become a more well rounded individual. Check out the enneagraminstitite.com - they give info about healthy vs unhealthy E9. Helps me to remain diligent in my personal pursuits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts