Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SPs are known for being unpredictable and impulsive. The ESTPs in particular, however, stand out as being the most unpredictable type I have ever encountered . I have absolutely no way of knowing their reaction or behavior to external stimuli from one day to another.

Here's an example, a trivial one, but i find it respresents the kind of unpredictability I am talking about with ESTPs.

I have an ESTP friend. We hang out a lot and she's always the driver.

One day she was driving down a two way street with no red lights in site. There was a woman crossing the street so my friend honked and yelled out the window "ill run you over Bitch"!!

The next day we were driving again. We live in a busy city so any oppurtunity to not be in traffic is heaven sent. It was a green light and she began to speed up but slowed down when she saw a pigeon crossing the street. She just sat in her car, grinning while everyone honked her, as the pigeon slowly crossed the
road. She then drove on without saying anything, though we were all clapped and had a good laugh from the scene.

I find it hard to understand what motivates her behavior. She's always in an upbeat mood, so negative emotions are ruled out. I've heard her say how she thinks animal rights activists are a joke and that those people care more about animals than people. It seems she finds those activists pathetic. Yet her actions make her seem like a hypocrite.

This is just one simple example, of course.

Help me 'get' what motivates her (entertaining) actions?

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
She gets off on power and intimidation. Intimidating the woman crossing the street (because she can). She enjoyed holding up traffic over, of all things, a pigeon (hilarious but immature). I actually see multiple motivations for these two examples. It's not random. She's responding to outside stimulus. She saw a woman crossing the street and reacted impulsively. She saw the pigeon and reacted impulsively. She wants to act like a dick, so she's being a dick.

I don't see anything hypocritical about her behaviour. She didn't give a crap about the pigeon. She just saw the humour in a pigeon crossing the road and holding up traffic for it. I can see the impulse to do that. I try not to react to those impulses.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm sure others would interpret it differently.

·
Registered
138 Posts
SPs are known for being unpredictable and impulsive. The ESTPs in particular, however, stand out as being the most unpredictable type I have ever encountered . I have absolutely no way of knowing their reaction or behavior to external stimuli from one day to another.

Here's an example, a trivial one, but i find it respresents the kind of unpredictability I am talking about with ESTPs.

I have an ESTP friend. We hang out a lot and she's always the driver.

One day she was driving down a two way street with no red lights in site. There was a woman crossing the street so my friend honked and yelled out the window "ill run you over Bitch"!!

The next day we were driving again. We live in a busy city so any oppurtunity to not be in traffic is heaven sent. It was a green light and she began to speed up but slowed down when she saw a pigeon crossing the street. She just sat in her car, grinning while everyone honked her, as the pigeon slowly crossed the
road. She then drove on without saying anything, though we were all clapped and had a good laugh from the scene.

I find it hard to understand what motivates her behavior. She's always in an upbeat mood, so negative emotions are ruled out. I've heard her say how she thinks animal rights activists are a joke and that those people care more about animals than people. It seems she finds those activists pathetic. Yet her actions make her seem like a hypocrite.

This is just one simple example, of course.

Help me 'get' what motivates her (entertaining) actions?
My son is an ESTP and I can see this type of behavior in him as well. I tend to agree with @monemi . From my experiences, ESTP tend to be very impulsive. Their drive (or at least my sons') come from manipulating their environment, finding humor in something (Wouldn't it be hilarious if I did....THIS!), and movement/action. They tend to be very transparent, which is a great thing. You do not have to probe to find their motivations.

For me, most of my processes go on internally. It was a bit of an adjustment learning how my son processes things. I expected to find this deep inner world, and what I discovered is that all that energy is directed outward into action. He is at his best when he is DOING something.

Sometimes I think ESTP just get an idea in their head and in the moment roll with it. For whatever reason, it was funny or gave them a sense of control or made their body all tingly and want to leap into action. It is definitely their impulsive side coming through.

Reactions: Christie42476

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am very impulsive but I try not to let it come out in such a dick-ish way. Also, my impulsiveness tends be more about my emotions or how I feel, without being able to really control it.

It's like me and this "new man in my life" went out for the day and pre-decided to go to the cinema. When we got there though something just completely put me off. I didn't feel 'right'.

This was so irritating for me because I wish I'd had good reason or even understanding of why I had felt the way I did. I just told him I was really sorry but I don't feel like going to the cinema anymore. I felt awful but I know I'd have felt even worse for forcing myself to go in the cinema when I wasn't up to it; I would have been quite moody!

Being the nice gentleman that he was, he didn't mind too much and he really puts up with this side of me very well (goodness knows how).

Unfortunately this impulsive side happens with how I feel about guys too. So I had loads of electricity and lovely warm fuzzy feelings for him, but now it's just gone. Evaporated. He's the most perfect bloke in the world, yet everything he does now irritates me. And I have absolutely no good reason for why I dislike it, I just do. I feel like such a dick because I am not able to act as I did with him now, I don't feel comfortable flirting and because I don't understand the *why* of how I'm feeling, it makes me extremely irritable to be around.

Sigh!!! I wish I wasn't such an impulsive dick!

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@monemi I noncholontly asked her and her response was that the woman knows the rules and was deliberately crossing the street slowly knowing full well it wasn't her light whereas the poor bird didn't know any better, and so therefore it would not be right to run it over.

Pretty much that. Lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, I'll throw on the breaks if I see a person step out in front me...although I won't feel too bad about hitting you...it's not my fault when you were in the street where you weren't supposed to be. I could care less if I hit a pigeon ...paybacks a bitch...serves them right for using my car as a toilet. I would never hold up traffic since I hate it when people inconvenience me. Your friend sounds like she has mental issues. That just doesn't sound like normal behavior.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure where you come off saying my friend has mental issues. All of her behavior was justified, in addition to being funny and entertaining.

This seems like a case of projection. Saying you would run over two living things due to 'inconveince' does not sounds like normal, healthy behavior at all.
@readywhenyouare who's the one with the mental issues? Because it definitely isn't her

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, I said I would "throw on the breaks" if I saw a person in the street. Your friend is the one who yelled and said "I'll run you over bitch". I will not hold traffic up over a pigeon. Pigeons die every day. What was your friend thinking stopping at a green light and holding up traffic? What if an ambulance/police/fire department needed to get through? Stopping at a green light and creating a traffic jam highly increases the chance of an accident. If her insurance company knew about her behavior (intentionally trying to run someone over and creating unnecessary traffic jams) I doubt they would be too pleased.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I said I would "throw on the breaks" if I saw a person in the street. Your friend is the one who yelled and said "I'll run you over bitch". I will not hold traffic up over a pigeon. Pigeons die every day. What was your friend thinking stopping at a green light and holding up traffic? What if an ambulance/police/fire department needed to get through? Stopping at a green light and creating a traffic jam highly increases the chance of an accident. If her insurance company knew about her behavior (intentionally trying to run someone over and creating unnecessary traffic jams) I doubt they would be too pleased.
What are you talking about? You sound like a tight ass who's making up things that never happened

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
@ozones Who cares what the guy says. Sounds like you're trying to start up some dumb and pointless argument about nothing. Just stop and move on instead of looking like a fool. Like you said, we're unpredictable; you expect us to say stuff you expect? We say what we want and you deal with it. Thought you'd learned that by now.. and here you are pissed off because a stranger on the internet said something which you misinterpreted/took it personally. That's a sign of weakness my friend.

Anyway, do yourself a favor and read up on Se if you want to understand your friend's behavior.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@ozones Who cares what the guy says. Sounds like you're trying to start up some dumb and pointless argument about nothing. Just stop and move on instead of looking like a fool. Like you said, we're unpredictable; you expect us to say stuff you expect? We say what we want and you deal with it. Thought you'd learned that by now.. and here you are pissed off because a stranger on the internet said something which you misinterpreted/took it personally. That's a sign of weakness my friend.

Anyway, do yourself a favor and read up on Se if you want to understand your friend's behavior.

Hun, don't give me advice on how to navigate the forum

·
Registered
161 Posts
That's not being a hypocrite, she probably yelled at the woman because she was walking too slow. She probably didn't run over the pigeon because either she likes birds, or she wanted to make you laugh. Which you did, which means she's one step ahead of you anyway. Which is why you'll never figure her out, because you're too busy thinking about inconsistencies of her behavior..so have fun with that.

Reactions: Choice

·
Registered
645 Posts
She wants to act like a dick, so she's being a dick.
The most important part. I could probably act like a dick if I wanted, but I feel like throwing big rocks at dicks' property when they try to intimidate me, so I expect my "victim" would feel the same, and I wouldn't want that, therefore I purposefully never act like a dick.

In my experience, one needs an IQ sufficient to get into Mensa to realise this seemingly simple fact about life.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
I'm an ESFP and I'm so much more unpredictable than ESTPs.

Reactions: Carmine Ermine
1 - 20 of 22 Posts