Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd really appreciate some information about ESTPs as teens. Can you share your experience?
Thanks.

What were/are you like as a teenager?

How would friends have described you?

Did you ever start a trend or feel you had to try something before everybody else?

How did you act when you were unhappy?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'd really appreciate some information about ESTPs as teens. Can you share your experience?
Thanks.

Did you ever start a trend or feel you had to try something before everybody else?

20 years old.
Back then, I was a random kid who was trying to figure out what to do. I was doing a lot of things but I wanted to know what I REALLY wanted to do. Had a lot of very different groups of friends, from gangsters to geeky computer kids to goth kids, lol, so apparently i was a kid who had little friends.

A handful of friends would say that I was very very random. Laughing at things at nobody gets or notices and they would always feel like I was the clown of the circle. Keeping things fun.

I would always start things up and see what happens and when that happens, I do another thing while the other thing is happing.

WHen I was a Teenager, I would keep my emotions to myself.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks.

I was a jock, but not the stereotypical meathead. I was calm, cool, and collected, but had another side of me (the party side) that I couldn't really show too much. My mom was my high school english teacher and my dad is the mayor of the town I live in so I had to hold back on a lot of the party crusades : /. That side has shown now, though!

2. I was friends with everyone. Like Swish said, I was friends all different types of people. I didn't judge or criticize anybody's way of life. I think that's why I got along with everyone so well. They would have described me as energetic, fun to be with, and having a great sense of humor. I love to just let go and do random things. My friends enjoyed that part of me

3. Haha, I just now remembered this. Back when I was in 7th grade(about 7 years ago), I started wearing the button-up shirts like people would wear at the clubs. You know, the ones with the flames on them and all that. It's like something you'd see off of jersey shore or something. Anyways, I was the first one in my school to wear them and then everyone started to get them. I'm not too proud of that

4. Like swish said, I kept my emotions to myself. I would hide them and act like everything was alright or I would go off and do my own thing to cool down. That was a problem though. Bottling all the emotions up made me explode on people that I wish I wouldn't have. Sometimes the littlest thing would've sent me off because of it

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
When I was young I guess I was more the stereotypical ESTP. I had lots of friends and girlfriends and couldn't keep one girl for more than a few weeks until I met my ex-wife. I was definitely the class clown. Anytime I could act like a moron and make people laugh I would. I had no problem getting up in front of large groups and acting out to get a rise.

The bad side of me needed thrills. This led from being the class clown to stealing and eventually destroying property. I didn't do it to be malicious and oddly enough never thought of how it might hurt others. I did it purely for the rush. Thankfully that grew out of me when I was around 18 years old.

I never cared about school or what I was going to do after I graduated. Consequently, it took a lot longer than it should have for my work life to stabalize.

Emotions wise I showed happiness and all that but I kept most depressive stuff to myself until it was too late. I had a tendency when young to have fits of crying when something really bothered me. Every couple years I would just lose it when it got too hard. Nobody except maybe my ex-wife saw it. When it happened it probably took 30 minutes to stop.

I grew up! I feel much better now :wink:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm still a teen(18) but all my friends are off to college while I'm still waiting to be shipped off to the Marines.

1. Like treebob, I noticed things that my friends didn't notice and was always the more active of the group. I suggested we do something, get it started, then not follow through. I always made jokes that nobody understood and intellectual jokes that other people made went right over my head. Also, whenever my friends are just sitting around I always seem to be the one that can never sit still. Example: My friends and I are watching a movie. Not only am I the only one constantly moving but I'm also the one noticing my surroundings instead of paying attention to the movie. I also notice how people react to certain scenes in the movie.

2. Active, Natural athlete, accepting, loyal, random, funny, witty, ambitious, flexible, laid back, BLUNT

3. I started a trend. I went OouwaA!!! And everbody started doing it!!

4. I would go into sarcastic/quiet mode. It might even have seemed that I took it out on everything and everybody around me. When I become angry or stressed I seem to fit the MBTI description pretty accurately. I'm slow to anger and take a LOOOng time to cool down then I'll act like nothing happened.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Same as the other posts. Lots of friends and I dated a lot. I mostly hung out with people older than me, I usually dated older guys as well. I was extremely social, comedic, competitive in sports, daring and like Treebob said I would do things for the thrill. I got on the good side of all the teachers and adults and somehow they would usually put me in charge, though my academics were lacking.

I think my friends would have described me as wild, materialistic, sort of doing things they wish they had the guts to do, fun and competitive.

As a kid I was physically competitive but as I grew up this moved to other areas of my life, such as being the "prettiest." So, I always dressed a head of the trend back then. Though I don't remember setting a particular trend I always dressed to turn heads. Which leads me to another issue. I dealt with anorexia between the ages of 14-16. So I would say I was probably dealing with major insecurities those years even though I was popular. I think a lot of this behavior was because I kept my deepest emotions inside and had some really horrible experiences I shared with no one. I would keep busy to try and not think about any dark feelings. Like the posts above, I would eventually explode which usually involved things flying around a room and crying.

I wish I knew then what I know now.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well I was mentally abused by my teacher during grade school, almost my entire childhood actually, which made me very reserved and butthurt, but I have recovered from it in few years. Now I am 17 years old, and doing good, not very popular but maybe in couple of months, I make new friends all the time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks.

1) I was focused on having fun. I didn't take school very seriously but always managed to get good grades without studying or working hard. I dated a lot but wasn't too big on commitment. I didn't have a typical after school job but I did make lots of money by writing everyones' papers. Oh, and I was very impulsive.

2) They'd describe me as the wild or fun one. I was always looking for the next party or exciting thing to do.

3) Not that I can think of.

4) I didn't express my emotions and I still don't really. However, I did (and still do) have a temper.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I was a determined teenager, willing to do whatever it takes to get the opportunity to go to one of the best colleges through athletic scholarships. I think private school culture sort of made me feel like that was what I wanted, but I learned it wasn't. I was a big risk taker, too, to the point where I almost got in a lot of trouble.

My friends thought I was crazy, fun, wild, social, and that go-getter that they wanted to be. A lot of times they would often sit and talk about doing things, and I'd always say "well, get in the car, let's do it! We're going now." And they would act all hesitant, but it wasn't stopping me.

I can't think of any trends I started, because there were a lot of them that came and went. I just did my own thing most of the time, but people thought it was cool to try what I would do too.

I was a bitch when I was unhappy, it was probably the worst side of my personality at the time, but I've really grown to get over myself and not worry about silly stuff. I wouldn't express how I felt, but many times I would find myself to be very angry, and couldn't really find anyone to blame but others and never myself for a while. At some point I blamed myself too much, but when I look back I see how silly I was to really care what other people did, even though it logically didn't make sense to me. If it doesn't affect you, who cares?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi! My best friend is ESTP, and I know her very closely. So, I would answer on her behalf.

Enthusiastic, realistic and FUN. Always looking for something fun to do. Straight-forward to the extent that people think it's rude. Loves dancing or any physical activity. Good at math. She wants to pursue design as her career.

Fun. Arrogant. Sexy.

When it comes to drinking and stuff- YES. When it comes to study- No.

Defensive. A weird sort of rudeness she has when she is upset. She shreds other person to pieces by her silence. It si weird. Seriously weird.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm a teenager right now so this should be easy.

Very distracted, hyperactive, carefree, and forgetful, esp in school. I've always been a loudmouthed troublemaker but I've gotten better since I transferred to a different school. I never judge anyone's choices or styles so I become friends with a wide range of kids. I change my mind a lot and have altered my goals many times, but now I'm set on getting a job in marketing and I've applied to colleges with that degree in mind.
Very spontaneous, easily amused, fidgety, clownish, and active. I don't tire easily and I usually make plans in very short notice, such as late night beach trips (those are always fun). I'm also the go-to person if a friend is trying to avoid drama. I try to be chill and agreeable and people have told me I'm the only friend they don't have fights with. People also admire my abilities of remaining stress-free during tough situations.
I dunno, I never really cared about what my peers were into and I'll do my own thing, like my haircut is pretty different from my friends' hair. Don't talk to me about fashion - I don't give two shits. My sister is always trendy in clothes so I'll usually just wear her stuff or buy similar clothing. I never bothered to find my own style.
Depends. If it's a specific event making me unhappy I'll hang out with friends to take my mind off it. If there's nothing in particular causing my sadness I'll try to do the same thing or if it's really bad I become reclusive and moody. I try to keep these emotions to myself and like what other people said, sometimes I would blow up and have fits. Always with my mother though - whatever she did ended up being the last straw. I owe her a lot for dealing with my pent up emotions, haha.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am also a teenager right now
I don't like to be commanded or micromanged, and I always want something to do because i get bored so easily, Im constantly trying to prove to others that I am to be valued. People see me as wierd because I developed the bad habbit of doing random unique things at constant outbursts because im just so bored by constant un-change. By weird things i mean randomly breaking out into dance singing songs invented on the spot and joking without any real sense of responsibilty or boundries yeah im pretty damn unique. (when i dance i wave around my beutiful 9 inch hair afro)

how would my friends describe me?
creative silly unpreadictable on and off switch in terms of energy. Im usualy the load one. possibly lazy often i dont do homework just because its boring and repetative.

did i ever start a trend?
no I am considered a social outcast by 30% of the people i know the next 30% finds me amusing at times but wouldn't ever care about me, and the remaining are my aquantinces and few freinds, people who speak on my level of intelligence but without applying that thought to anything boring

How did i act when i was unhappy?
when im unhappy im usualy angry at people who refuse to think in any flexible or way (strong j's imma strong p) I feel pretty bad when im angry because I have too much self controll to direct it physically OR socially at people, ive broken plumbing before because I can't hurt people and i wanna destroy things. when im sad i lose all sight of modivation and use think philisophicly about the logical existance of happynes (basic teenage angst really). Often I don't like the conditions of reality and try to escape in video games, books tv and internet fourm websites (like this one). I would argue "life sucks" but the amount of time I spend being negative is very low by compairison PS. don't get a stepdad, just, don't

·
Registered
8,689 Posts

Experimental. I loved raves and hanging out with my favourite cousins. I moved a lot and took advantage of each school to see how people responded to different approaches. I liked seeing people reacted to different behaviours from me. Usually made lots of friends quickly but if I tried something different and made a bad impression, it didn't matter because we'd be moving soon anyway. Plus my real friends (cousins) were all that really mattered in my social life.

My cousins would have described me as trouble.

I've had people copy me.

Withdrawn and stop eating.

Reactions: Lilsnowy

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks.

Well I was a teenager about a month ago but now I am 20 years old. What was I like? Hmmmm. During highschool, I could definitely say I was social but due to social anxiety from severe acne, I think it hindered my self confidence to hold a relationship with girls. I was so focused on getting girls that I stressed out about other things, which, in turn, stressed me out even more which led to acne breakouts. But I was popular among the weird people or social outcasts. I wasn't well known among the popular kids or the jocks or the nerds, but everyone knew of me. I was friends with alot of them though, anyone and everyone who was willing to chat with me and be nice to me.

My friends would have described me as a sexual creature lol. Wow this brings memories back. All the time, we would be a group of perverts just watching classmates/girls walk by and we would check out DA BOOTIES and whatnot and compare them all to each other. yum yum. My friends would also say I was very timid, probably due to my acne/self-confidence issues.

I never really started trends but when one came up, I hyped it up till it became lame.

When I was unhappy...hmmm, I would throw fits of rage, a mixture of tears and anger and anyone in that path would be torn to shreds both physically and verbally. I was very immature in how I handled my emotions but now, a little bit older, a small amount of that has changed, for the better of course.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I love cake.

A cake lover.

I wanted moar cake.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
I was actually pretty reserved from middle school to high school, mostly because of bad experiences in middle school. Up until middle school I was always that weird and quirky kid, but since middle school kids are usually quite judgmental I eventually just shrunk into being reserved. I recently started to channel my inner quirky kid and now I'm the verbally quick wiseguy who can run circles around my friends with my sense of logic, but usually in the form of insults and witty comebacks rather than intellectual blasts. I'm also the class clown/annoying narcissist in my English class.

Reactions: Lilsnowy

·
Registered
299 Posts
During my teen years (actually about to end them soon, turning 20) I was a bit of a chameleon trying to get noticed by cool kids at first but also being a bit too shy. In early teens I would attempt to wear what was in style and looked like a douchey hypebeast just to get attention but realized that it just wasn't who I was. Was also the guy who would be stalked by the hs football coach all 4 years of my life trying to recruit me lol, guess I was just shy that I would fail.

High School wasn't too bright of a time for me, my junior+senior years were better but I was a bit of a loner in that I wouldn't go out of my way to socialize with others outside school events. Also I became a bit of a self righteous hippy listening to a bunch of indie music and trying to consider myself different from those "mainstream" people, taking up human rights movements that now I think are very stupid and unrealistic.

Things changed pretty much right after I went to senior prom, which I ended up going last minute stag but meeting one of my girlfriends there. I developed a more "fuck it" attitude since I graduated and become more thought of as that "wisecracking jock". No longer do I wear flashy outfits or try to support dreamy movements, or even give a fuck whether a lot of people like me(I don't really like too much attention). Still am on the border of thinking ISTP or ESTP, I'm a social introvert for sure but the way I process things leans a tad more to ESTP.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I was my teachers worse nightmare because of my sense of humor, and I was the typical smart ass womanizer of my school. I was stealing other guys girlfriends by 15 lol. I was friends to most even some of the odd types, I was really tolerant of most and used to use my wit and charm to get out of trouble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts