Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I mentioned in a few other threads here, I have an ESTP cousin.

He does wrestling and just made it to states. Everyone was sooo proud of him. No one no one down him at all! They were all so siced! But he was really mad at himself because he didn't dominate the competition like he wanted to. He lost two matches but he did well enough to move on. Everyone was so proud, but he was so mad that he wanted to go home immediately and then walked three miles on a high way like area until the coach found him and gave him a ride home.

So I'm wondering, are ESTPs incredibly competitive and only go by their own personal standards of winning?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Tee hee... I'm totally guilty of being competitive... Even if it is something I've never done before. And yes, I get down on myself for the most ridiculous things... All of our quizzes in my Ethics class have extra credit... So you have the potential to get 110% on all quizzes... I got a 105% this past time and I lost my mind. I was so furious with myself for missing one question that bumped me down to 105% instead of my 110%.... And I was seriously angry... Eventhough what I did get was extremely good, I wasn't satisfied, so I was pissed off.

So, at least for me, I'm extremely competitive and hold myself to one helluva high standard.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
In sports I get very down on my self if I don't perform. This is especially true in sports I know I am good at like softball. No amount of people telling me I played good will help if I think I did bad. Other than that in other sports I don't have fun unless the rules are followed by both sides. I love to win but it is soured if rules aren't adhered to.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,508 Posts
But I don't think this goes for ESTPs alone. Consider Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan (both proposed ISTPs). Where NTs seek masterful in being competent, SPs in general seek virtuoso in becoming skilled. To onlookers (and most true of themselves), it appears very competitive. I am not ESTP, but I loathe not performing flawlessly when it’s something that interests me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm extremely competitive and I always want to do better than I did the last time. With sports, it's incredibly frustrating for me to struggle at something because I'm usually really good at sports. I've been taking capoeira for a few months and even though I've taken other martial arts this class still gets to me. On he other hand, I usually have fun doing what I'm doing, I just can't help but thinking that I want to be better at it. :crazy:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Actually I am not very competitive but I don't get overly down on my self... although I do get down. I am very stable emotionally and try to practice my ass of until I get the skill to beat anyone who ever tried to beat me... OK I am very competitive and my impatience does get me :angry: at times.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm very internally competitive when it comes to sport and hold myself to a high standard - Steve Waugh's "never satisfied" motto fits me well.

I know plenty of ESTP's through sport (football, cricket and rugby in Australia is full of them!) and just about all of them are very competitive when in comes to sport, but much more outwardly and expressively than myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts