Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow ESTPs!

I'm an INFJ woman with a health science background. I recently had a hunch that there might be physiologic differences between the (4) personality types (SPs, SJs, NTs and NFs). One of them may be respiratory rate.

Can you please tell me your respiratory rate at rest (i.e., while sitting and are not engaged in activity)? You just have to count the number of breaths for 30 seconds and then multiply this number by (2) for breaths/minute.

Thanks!
Sun18 :eek:)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Feeling pain and trying to go through it causes me to stop breathing sometimes. I've fainted during a blood test for this reason, also when I had surgery!

I'm not scared of blood I just forget to breathe!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Hi fellow ESTPs!

I'm an INFJ woman with a health science background. I recently had a hunch that there might be physiologic differences between the (4) personality types (SPs, SJs, NTs and NFs). One of them may be respiratory rate.

Can you please tell me your respiratory rate at rest (i.e., while sitting and are not engaged in activity)? You just have to count the number of breaths for 30 seconds and then multiply this number by (2) for breaths/minute.

Thanks!
Mark me down for 70. I started hyperventilating when I saw an INFP on my forum. ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Feeling pain and trying to go through it causes me to stop breathing sometimes. I've fainted during a blood test for this reason, also when I had surgery!

I'm not scared of blood I just forget to breathe!
Hi Antrist,

Thanks for participating in my thread.

If your health issues that prevent you from calculating your respiratory rate, please don't do it. This is supposed to be a fun survey - not something that triggers anxiety in some people.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Hi Antrist,

Thanks for participating in my thread.

If your health issues that prevent you from calculating your respiratory rate, please don't do it. This is supposed to be a fun survey - not something that triggers anxiety in some people.

That... is not what I meant! :unsure:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi ESTPs!

Here is the rationale and the results of my short survey.

Many individuals on Personality Cafe have bemoaned the fact that a great number of people have mistyped themselves. The challenge with the Myers Briggs personality test is that there is so much room for interpretation and bias. However, most would agree that there are clear differences in temperament from one person to the next.

The question is "Are there other parameters that one can use to better identify one's true personality type?"

As I was recently pondering this question, an idea came to mind...

I've been meditating for several years. In 2009, my meditation center acquired an EEG machine to show the difference in brain waves while people are sitting eyes open, then sitting eyes closed, and finally sitting eyes closed while meditating. Predictably, the brain waves would slow down during the process and more alpha and theta brain waves would appear on the computer screen.

After a while, I could predict at an almost 100% accuracy which meditator would produce greater levels of slow brain waves in any of these conditions. These individuals fitted to a tee the NF description - gentle, warm, introverted and introspective. I also noticed that although there was a group of people watching their EEGs on a big screen, they were very relaxed and their breathing was slow.

Interestingly, factors such as age, sex, physical fitness level or the number of years that they meditated for didn't affected their production of slow brain waves. For example, a 25 year-old tall, apparently very fit young man could produce less slow brain waves (and breathe much faster) than a small elderly woman. Also, someone who had been meditating for 3 weeks could produced more slow brain waves than someone who has been meditating for 35 years twice daily!

Therefore, I research the literary to understand this phenomenon, and discovered that all humans produce mainly the following (4) brain waves:
Beta: 12-40 Hz
Alpha: 8-12 Hz
Theta: 4-8 Hz
Delta: 0-4 Hz

The majority of adults function mainly in Beta while a smaller percentage at Alpha and almost none at Theta. Delta brain waves are mostly produced when we sleep.

The link between personality types and brain waves is that to function at Beta, one has to breathe predominantly 12-20 times/minute. Also, to mainly function at Alpha, one has to breathe 6-8 times/minute. It's important to underline the fact that these breaths should be shallow.

Therefore in order to determine one's personality type, another tool could be one's respiratory rate. The respiratory rate lends itself to less subjectivity than a questionnaire because it's only one number and only takes 30 seconds to measure.

I predicted that SPs would have the highest respiratory rates, followed by the SJs, then the NTs, and the NFs would have the lowest respiratory rates. Furthermore, I expected that most people would be mistyped and have a respiratory rate of 12-16 breaths/minute.

Here's how I broke down the respiratory rates by personality types:

NFs: 6-8 breaths/minute
NTs: 9-11 breaths/minute
SJs: 12-16 breaths/minute (I arbitrarily divided the 12-20 range in the middle to create a divide between SJs and SPs)
SPs: 17-24 breaths/minute

Now the results:
Total responses: 96
NFs: 24 responses
NTs: 32 responses
SJs: 23 responses
SPs: 17 responses

NFs who fall into each (4) respiratory rate:
6-8 breaths/minute: 2
9-11 breaths/minute: 5
12-16 breaths/minute: 10
17-24 breaths/minute: 7

NTs who fall into each (4) respiratory rate:
6-8 breaths/minute: 9
9-11 breaths/minute: 11
12-16 breaths/minute: 12
17-24 breaths/minute: 0

SJs who fall into each (4) respiratory rate:
6-8 breaths/minute: 0
9-11 breaths/minute: 3
12-16 breaths/minute: 14
17-24 breaths/minute: 6

SPs who fall into each (4) respiratory rate:
6-8 breaths/minute: 1
9-11 breaths/minute: 5
12-16 breaths/minute: 5
17-24 breaths/minute: 6

Overall, the number of individuals who fall into each (4) respiratory rate are as follows:
6-8 breaths/minute: 12
9-11 breaths/minute: 24
12-16 breaths/minute: 41
17-24 breaths/minute: 19

Therefore all my predictions for this small sample size were correct. It would be interesting if a larger scale research could be done on brain waves and personality type. I leave such a study to more competent researchers! :wink:

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
7.5 X 2 = 15. Weird that there's actually a difference in breathing between types.
Hi Navid,

Thanks for participating in my thread and answering my question. Unfortunately, I have already compiled the results.

I'm as baffled as you are about the potential link between introversion and respiratory rate!! :laughing: However, I think that a lot more research needs to be done to better understand the differences in brain functioning of each (4) main personality types.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.