Personality Cafe banner

Omnipotence, (Question in Post)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been thinking of this question and I'm curious what other "idealistic" INFPs would choose:

You and only you have been chosen in all the world to become omnipotent. Should you accept, you will be granted the power and ability to shape the world into whatever you feel is right. However, should you decline, another random person in the world will be offered the same power and you will be at their mercy. What is your decision?

Do you feel like you know what would be best for the world? Such a responsibility haha. Though, if you decline, someone else could potentially cause even more suffering in this world!

If you accepted, what would you change if anything? Choosing to do nothing and keep the omnipotence, do you believe you have the self-discipline to refrain from using such unlimited power from doing redundant menial tasks? Or even if you see someone you love or care about die in front of you, would you choose to cheat death? If you save the life of one person and it becomes known, everyone will want to be saved.

The world would cry out to you.. what would you respond?

·
Registered
205 Posts
If no one else was offered the ability, i would decline. In the case a "random individual" would be picked instead, I would accept. IT is a huge responsibility and I might well decide to do nothing with this "power".

IT would take a lot of thinking to decide if I should do anything, if I did. And if I did it would likely be to save lives.

Reactions: CloudVinci

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Yup and I wouldn't do anything without long contemplation and different perspectives from others. Only with significant confidence in what i'd be doing would I act on something. I have plenty of time to consider things as it's not like i'm running a country or anything and have a deadline.

I don't really like having such incredible power as it'd have its own kind of stress to it but certainly offers me the potential to do some good for people. The main motivator i'd accept is because I couldn't gamble that the next person it's offered isn't considerate of the power they'd be given and rather not risk the world being changed by someone devoid of any consideration to the consequences of their actions.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I would accept, but I can understand why someone would decline.

If I was all-powerful I could make a world where no one ever died or suffered. Which sounds pretty great, but I'm sure there's a catch there somewhere. (Sometimes people cause their own suffering and it helps them grow, death makes way for new life, blah blah blah).

But I could always create a being that is perfectly just/benevolent/wise and just let them rule for me, for whenever I realized that I wasn't fit for the job. And if I was ever just like 'nope this is worse than before' I could just undo everything.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might choose to do nothing as well. Or perhaps even seal away the omnipotence because I don't think I could even trust myself with that much power! Power can corrupt people so easily lol. But then all the hardships and pain that goes on in the world today would persist. And in a way, I'd be responsible because I chose to accept it and turn away. Haha, it's such a dilemma.

I love ethical/philosophical questions like these :proud:

Reactions: kittymobile

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I'd accept and probably never use it. :cool:

It's better than it be given to someone who would use it and make things worse for us. If I ever do use it, I'd have to be near 100% sure that it wold benefit the world.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not an INFP so I hope you guys don't mind if I step in :/

I'd personally accept it and immediately, before giving myself any time to reconsider, destroy myself and the power with me. I don't trust myself and I don't trust others with ultimate power and I'd much rather see myself go down with the ship than run the risk of someone destroying everyone's lives. A single mistake and I'd never forgive myself.

If I'm allowed to offer an expansion on the original question:

Say a stranger was offered omnipotence. If they accepted it, they would be able to shape the world in any way they liked. If they declined, that would be it. Nobody else would be offered that power.

However, before they have the opportunity to choose, you have a choice to make. You as a third party are holding a gun to their head. If you pull the trigger, they die and all offers are dropped. If you let them live, the choice is theirs.

What do you do?

·
Retired Administrator
18,688 Posts
I would accept it.

Then I would do a ton of research. I'd probably start out small, with individual changes--someone's getting raped (stop it and place the rapist in some kind of purgatory), someone's getting tortured and dismembered (take the torturer and put them in some kind of purgatory again--IDK how to rehabilitate people, but with omnipotent power, that would be a goal).

Since I'd be omnipotent, I'd be able to gift others with power as well (after all, I am limited by my perspective)--and so, in a way, I'd be a little more of a check in power. I don't think I should be qualified to be the "only" god around--that would suck.

Maybe I could create some metaphysical system where people who achieved a certain level of ethical consistency within themselves and also with the rest of the world population (including the unspoken perspectives of the animals and plants), would automatically receive a portion of the "omnipotence." I would work on techniques to create more harmony and satisfaction, while lowering mortal suffering for things. Obviously, I'd be able to hear everyone's secret dreams and hopes and I'd also grow as a person (I don't think omnipotence should be seen as contrary to change and growth).

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Accept it!
Then get my friends to think and come up with whatnot to make the world a better place :laughing: In the end only I get the power to implement them, so I can ensure it won't be misused even though it's not exactly used efficiently either xD If nobody wants to do the above, then ah well, the world can continue running on it's own with all the figurehead presidents and whatnot. If any war comes though, I'll step in and make them all magically friendly and happy with each other xD Anyone who dares to abuse my animals will be sent onto a little people-only island, where they can't touch any creature.

If I could, I'd want to make this world a place that doesn't need money. I want it to be a happy place where resources are equal all around, and people only take what they need, and give the rest to those who need them as well. Horses would still be used as a common form of transport :cool: Well it wouldn't exactly make the world a better place, but it would make it more fun and beautiful, and in my defence it DOES reduce global warming xD And here's where I stop because I realize all of this won't ever happen and I don't know what to do about technology. I mean it's great, but people use it way too much!

In short, I'd still like to stick to my first/second paragraph xD I think it'll be better to let the world continue running its own ways, I'll just stop something when it gets too far (atomic wars, bam bam! Or crazed scientists trying to clone everyone or get the world to work like a machine xD). Which means even though it's hard, I'd let my loved one(s) die in front of me if there was nothing I could do in the first place even if I didn't have the power :(

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
If no one else was offered the ability, i would decline. In the case a "random individual" would be picked instead, I would accept. IT is a huge responsibility and I might well decide to do nothing with this "power".

IT would take a lot of thinking to decide if I should do anything, if I did. And if I did it would likely be to save lives.
This exactly :)
I would decline immediately if the power wasn't offered to somebody else. But there's no way I'm risking that it goes to some bigoted person. I'd accept and then tweak certain things in the world here and there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I've been thinking of this question and I'm curious what other "idealistic" INFPs would choose:

You and only you have been chosen in all the world to become omnipotent. Should you accept, you will be granted the power and ability to shape the world into whatever you feel is right. However, should you decline, another random person in the world will be offered the same power and you will be at their mercy. What is your decision?

Do you feel like you know what would be best for the world? Such a responsibility haha. Though, if you decline, someone else could potentially cause even more suffering in this world!

If you accepted, what would you change if anything? Choosing to do nothing and keep the omnipotence, do you believe you have the self-discipline to refrain from using such unlimited power from doing redundant menial tasks? Or even if you see someone you love or care about die in front of you, would you choose to cheat death? If you save the life of one person and it becomes known, everyone will want to be saved.

The world would cry out to you.. what would you respond?
I would accept but not change a thing. Because things are already as they really are and are already as they really should. I personally believe that omnipotence means the ability to see things as they really are. Once you see this you will start to see how everything is connected - not on the spiritual sense - and dependent upon each other and then you will realize you cannot change one thing without changing others. You will probably realize it is best to let things change on their own. Also, you'd probably realize before any people close to you die that death is a part of the universe, because death is change and the universe is nothing more than change.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Accept, kill everyone else, then an hero.

Wait, did I just say that out loud to a bunch of INFPs?

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'd accept. Right now, hard time in my life, I'd be using it... I definitely would have to struggle to use it in good ways. I'd try to use the power the least possible but hopefully for the best. Of course I'd be around PERC INFPs or something like that to consider other people's suggestions and all.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I would only accept because I have the unspeakable arrogance to imagine that someone else would do worse.

My old self would without question go to work at once to set things straight.

But recently, a struggle has broken out within me. For is God himself not omnipotent? Still, the world is as it is. My conscience would want to coerce me to refrain and not act at all because it is my highest realisation of realisations that absolute power brings absolute responsibility and thus absolute slavery. God can only be the way He is, for were He any other way we would have to ask ourselves why this and not that.

But my old personality, that random assortment of little anarchist and selfish sub selves within me, would no doubt find a million reasons to tweak things around to my liking. There is so much to 'set straight'.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would accept it without a second though and the first thing I would do is to use my omnipotent power to make me invincible and immortal. Then I would sit down on a mountain top or in a deep deep forest or near a river or lake and would meditate for no less then till enlightenment (even if it takes 100s of years). Maybe I will make clones of myself that share every experience (like Shadow clones from Naruto) and would visit the biggest library of the world and read every book. Another clone would wander the entire world and speak to many many people. Another clone would study all the sciences and/or all the arts. And another clone would just do the fun things everyone does (partying, drinking, etc.) to gain common experience. ;)

After that, and only after that, I may be wise enough to change the world in every aspect I like without doing harm.

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
I'd accept faster than you can say "WTF". (Quickly)

Hire a think tank, come up with ideas, see which ones I'd adopt.

A priority would be *beefing* up, the rights of animals.

I would require everyone who participates in any personality forum like this, to be certified by an MBTI professional, before they list what their type is.

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
I would most likely accept to prevent anyone else from accepting.

And probably do nothing with that power, except get myself a nice sandwich and maybe a nice car. I don't want to fuck anything up worse than it already is.
I would need to do a lot of thinking to make even the slightest nudge to anything... so better me than someone else who probably thinks they know the solution to everything.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Of course I'd be around PERC INFPs or something like that to consider other people's suggestions and all.
lol This is a great idea

Reactions: Saldron
1 - 20 of 24 Posts