Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suppose a police officer gets shot or something and is close to death and they could make him somewhat akin to Robocop, like a bionic superhuman.. Would it be ethical to do so without the consent of the individual? The only way he would be able to die a natural death would be by choice.

-So my first thought was ask someone closest to him.
-My second thought was no it would not be unethical. he would be given something close to immortality, superhuman strength, he would be given the power to do even better at his chosen profession, he would be special, who wouldn't want that? Stipulations: he could choose to die anytime he wanted, he was already pretty much dead to begin with.

Anyone want to discuss? I don't have details such as to the nature of his "bionic powers."

·
Registered
INTP
5,126 Posts
This should probably in the philosophy subforum.

It seems to lie quite heavily in the same area as the euthanasia debate, and abortion for that matter.

I think a good workaround would be for someone to sign a form saying whether they agree to such a thing beforehand.

If it were to happen unexpectedly, hmmm I think most people would choose life over death so would not be hugely angry about it when they woke up as a robot. If it they'd rather die, well just flick the off switch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts