Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
7,051 Posts
Time travel is impossible because:

It means you can travel to ANY point in the span of time itself.

You could therefore travel back to a hundred years before time travel was invented, and invent it. Statistically, this has a 100% probability of happening, because of the infinite nature of time so it simply will be done by someone in the future.

By inventing time travel earlier - or by inventing anything earlier than it was meant to be - the whole of human civilisation is shifted a step forwards.

Then someone will go back to an even earlier date to invent time travel a bit earlier.

Once again the existence of humanity will be shifted a century or so earlier.

This cycle repeats until we reach an impossible singularity.

Time is infinite, meaning every possible thing can happen at once. This hasn't happened yet, therefore time travel will never be a thing. It can't be a thing anyway.

I don't see the point in time travel discussions because it just, isn't, possible.

Anyway in the fantasy scenario where this kind of thing can happen... Yes manipulation of events is ethical because absolutely no-one in the future will know any different. Sheesh I can't really comprehend it though because it's utterly impossible.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Time travel is impossible because:

It means you can travel to ANY point in the span of time itself.

You could therefore travel back to a hundred years before time travel was invented, and invent it. Statistically, this has a 100% probability of happening, because of the infinite nature of time so it simply will be done by someone in the future.

By inventing time travel earlier - or by inventing anything earlier than it was meant to be - the whole of human civilisation is shifted a step forwards.

Then someone will go back to an even earlier date to invent time travel a bit earlier.

Once again the existence of humanity will be shifted a century or so earlier.

This cycle repeats until we reach an impossible singularity.

Time is infinite, meaning every possible thing can happen at once. This hasn't happened yet, therefore time travel will never be a thing. It can't be a thing anyway.

I don't see the point in time travel discussions because it just, isn't, possible.

Anyway in the fantasy scenario where this kind of thing can happen... Yes manipulation of events is ethical because absolutely no-one in the future will know any different. Sheesh I can't really comprehend it though because it's utterly impossible.
I think I agree with Einstein. Time travel may be possible, but changing the future is not. If you went back in time to change the future, you would only discover that time traveling created the future you are trying to change.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It depends on what sort of time travel you are talking about. If there is just one universe then time travel is impossible. However if you believe in the possibility for alternate time streams through super dimensional travel in the 5th or 6th time travel would be possible. However you do run the risk for paradox which we have no idea what would happen so the choice could possibly be discarded as well. Now time dialation is very real and I think it would be really cool to go to the future but I would have to leave behind what is accepted as the present to do so. Not to mention everyone I've ever loved would be dead.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well, I can drive about an hour west and go back in time an hour... Oh wait, different kind of time travel.

If, hypothetically, you had a time machine that could instantly take you into the future, I would think that there's less harm in going to the future and screwing something up there than it would be in the past (considering that going to the past would be impossible). My logic is that the future you go to is one of infinitely many futures, so messing up that future would only be one of those infinitely many, ie close to 0% chance of getting that future. Of course, there would have to be some measure on the device itself to make sure no additional objects, entities, etc. make it back to the present. Like the field gates from the Portal series.

Now if you made one that goes to the past, that one I would destroy off the face of the planet, along with anyone/thing involved with the project. That is way WAY too terrifying for we naturally-flawed beings to have access to. What if it fell into the wrong hands and screwed up the present? What happens if certain events don't unfold to allow said time machine to be built? What happens if you start then next World War? Who knows what kind of havoc can be unleashed. And that's why going to the past is a bad idea.

Of course, then comes the energy needed to power the damn thing. 1.21 gigawatts ain't exactly going to hit it and magically teleport us the future...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well traveling backwards in time is impossible anyway. Let's say you were put on a rocket going nearly the speed of light and flew in a big circle through our galaxy. Then 5000 years later the rocket comes back to earth. But for you on the rocket, going at nearly the speed of light, only a fraction of that amount of time passed; the closer to the speed of light the less. Now there is a physical impossibility in accelerating an object with mass to the speed of light because the closer you get the more energy you need to become faster until you need infinite energy to reach actual speed of light. But its enough to get close to it and then you spend a few weeks on your rocket, you only experience a few weeks, but when you're back on earth 5000 years passed. In that sense you can travel to the future by being in a very fast motion. If you think of it like a function that goes up in a slow curve, but then grows exponentially the closer you get to the speed of light, and the speed of light would be a limes at which the value is infinity. If you were to go faster time would have to go backwards for you, which is absurd.

But yeah regarding the actual question, of course time travel would be very exciting. However, extremely dangerous. Strict regulations and careful consideration would have to be placed on it. It may be for the best that it is impossible. I think it could be ethically wrong or right depending on its usage, but I don't know if I would want to mess with that anyway. Hmm but then again...

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
What is I told you that this is all an illusion?
It doesn't matter, we can precisely replicate all of the occurrences and settings that occurred in the year 1925 and it will be no different than 1925 other than 1925 already happened.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Honestly I want to go back in time and figure out mysteries. even if it is just for myself. I'd go back in time and see who DB Cooper was. Did he die in the dive? it's probable, but still... or see what happened to Jimmy Hoffa. I'd stalk him day and night around the time of his disappearance just to see what happened.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Do you guys think time travelling is ethical? Or manipulating the chain of events (assuming time is linear)? If time travel existed, would you use it? What would the rules be for time travel? A Prime Directive of sorts?
Hm. Well, depends on what you want to use time traveling for. If you use it to observe historical events, and not have any effect on them, then yes, I believe it's ethical. There has to be safeguards in place to prevent interference. Maybe housing travelers in a pod or something.

Manipulating events is not ethical because you don't know what sort of effects that would have on others and the timeline.

If it existed and was safe, yes! I would totally use it! I think that an important rule would be no interference. And in the event of an emergency making you unable to return, the pod will collapse on itself and cease to exist, so that the timeline isn't affected by humans in the future suddenly spilling out and asking for help. It's a risk people will have to take, so that only very important destinations and reasons for going there are chosen to minimise disturbances.

·
Banned
668 Posts
Hm. Well, depends on what you want to use time traveling for. If you use it to observe historical events, and not have any effect on them, then yes, I believe it's ethical. There has to be safeguards in place to prevent interference. Maybe housing travelers in a pod or something.

Manipulating events is not ethical because you don't know what sort of effects that would have on others and the timeline.

If it existed and was safe, yes! I would totally use it! I think that an important rule would be no interference. And in the event of an emergency making you unable to return, the pod will collapse on itself and cease to exist, so that the timeline isn't affected by humans in the future suddenly spilling out and asking for help. It's a risk people will have to take, so that only very important destinations and reasons for going there are chosen to minimise disturbances.
So basically you are advocating time tourism?

·
Banned
668 Posts
I read a book once in which time travel was used for research purposes, where researchers would travel back in time and infiltrate ancient cultures and study them posing as members of those cultures. If time travel were to be possible, I would be only for this kind of use for it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
So basically you are advocating time tourism?
To a certain extent. I believe it will benefit the human race as a whole to have a better understanding of history. But, of course, too many people traveling back and forth will probably be detrimental in some way. Increases the odds of something bad happening. So, maybe a limit on how many people can travel per year, and to which destinations. The experts can work all that out.

Oh, another rule to have would be everything would be recorded and transmitted back to headquarters. What's seen and heard outside the pod and within the pod as well. So that other people can watch too.

It has to be taken as seriously as space travel is now. But I would be against private companies having a hand in time travel, though that might change depending on research in this hypothetical scenario. But in the one I'm imagining, I see more downsides to its privatisation than upsides. So, in that sense it's not exactly the same as tourism.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
To a certain extent. I believe it will benefit the human race as a whole to have a better understanding of history. But, of course, too many people traveling back and forth will probably be detrimental in some way. Increases the odds of something bad happening. So, maybe a limit on how many people can travel per year, and to which destinations. The experts can work all that out.

Oh, another rule to have would be everything would be recorded and transmitted back to headquarters. What's seen and heard outside the pod and within the pod as well. So that other people can watch too.

It has to be taken as seriously as space travel is now. But I would be against private companies having a hand in time travel, though that might change depending on research in this hypothetical scenario. But in the one I'm imagining, I see more downsides to its privatisation than upsides. So, in that sense it's not exactly the same as tourism.
I think it would prob work more like space travel. Chrononauts I call them. There will people the government sponsors to travel in time because it will be expensive. and then later, especially rich people may be able to pay their way. But as I said before, I don't think changing reality is possible. any time traveler will only produce the present. Called the Stable Tim Loop, it is what Einstein theorized.

Stable Time Loop - TV Tropes

great illustration

Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
But as I said before, I don't think changing reality is possible. any time traveler will only produce the present. Called the Stable Tim Loop, it is what Einstein theorized.

Stable Time Loop - TV Tropes

great illustration

Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act
Yup. I've thought about this as well. Something bad happening is not limited to changing the past and present though. It could mean that we're changing the present and future too.

I mean, if you think of time as a converging piece of fabric, where each choice we make today cancels out other choices, by traveling back and forth to the past and to today again, we could be opening rifts in this fabric. Opening up possibilities that starts to make time diverge as more people travel. It might only be the barest of tears, but if you have enough weak cuts in the cloth, it might split easily.

By exploring the past, we might change the future. Risky business.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Do you guys think time travelling is ethical? Or manipulating the chain of events (assuming time is linear)? If time travel existed, would you use it? What would the rules be for time travel? A Prime Directive of sorts?

Time Travel is Simply Impossible..you just cant do it , there is No if's with it .

but for entertainment purposes lets entertain that Idea .

I think I would First Visit the Ice and Stone Ages
and also the Age of Dinasours I would make Friends in those Ages as I would make Friends in the
Ages of Babylon I would approach Sodom and Gomora ...I would Work as a Construction worker
of the Great Wall of China ...and finally along with many more I would rent an Apartment In Stalin Grad just to seehow shitty things went in the year 1943 ...the Scene would help me design an amazing Video Game Dubbed CLASSICAL WARS , the year 2045 it'll debut they said .

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think I agree with Einstein. Time travel may be possible, but changing the future is not. If you went back in time to change the future, you would only discover that time traveling created the future you are trying to change.
And when you return to the present, you might realize it all. And possibly want to tell everyone else around you who remembers nothing.

But if you had not traveled back to the past, would your future be different? You'll never know, because you already made the trip. We're your actions useful in any way, or is the present you live in determined not by the act of you traveling back in time to shape your future, but something unchangeable regardless of anything you might do?

Maybe a handbook would be useful. When going back into the past, you are to:

A. Not tell people what time period you are actually from. This is a good self-preservation rule because if you told the truth in a certain time period, you might get burned alive for witchcraft.

B. Go to the memory manipulation center after you return from the past to get your own memories of your journey wiped, along with the memories of you that the people you encountered on that journey had. All those memories should be converted/transcribed and archived in a database for easier organization of time traveling activities, and research could be conducted in that way.
If your memories are wiped, that way, you will not have the knowledge that it is possible to 'change the past' and work harder during the present.

I think that time traveling would be a secret, underground, yet government run activity for people to go back into the past for a possibility at making a future that is the same as the one that they have now. And that's an interesting thought. If you hadn't traveled back in time, perhaps the present would be different from the one you knew. Maybe trained agents should be the only ones traveling, but that makes things strange when the agents aren't directly involved in someone's past and they just appear.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
IF time travel were possible it wouldn't matter what you did because you would only be generating a new time line and not somehow fucking up some single existing one. We change our time lines every time we make a choice already so the ethics are identical and moot.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
And when you return to the present, you might realize it all. And possibly want to tell everyone else around you who remembers nothing.

But if you had not traveled back to the past, would your future be different? You'll never know, because you already made the trip. We're your actions useful in any way, or is the present you live in determined not by the act of you traveling back in time to shape your future, but something unchangeable regardless of anything you might do?

Maybe a handbook would be useful. When going back into the past, you are to:

A. Not tell people what time period you are actually from. This is a good self-preservation rule because if you told the truth in a certain time period, you might get burned alive for witchcraft.

B. Go to the memory manipulation center after you return from the past to get your own memories of your journey wiped, along with the memories of you that the people you encountered on that journey had. All those memories should be converted/transcribed and archived in a database for easier organization of time traveling activities, and research could be conducted in that way.
If your memories are wiped, that way, you will not have the knowledge that it is possible to 'change the past' and work harder during the present.

I think that time traveling would be a secret, underground, yet government run activity for people to go back into the past for a possibility at making a future that is the same as the one that they have now. And that's an interesting thought. If you hadn't traveled back in time, perhaps the present would be different from the one you knew. Maybe trained agents should be the only ones traveling, but that makes things strange when the agents aren't directly involved in someone's past and they just appear.
I don't believe so. it is unchangeable because no matter what you choose to do, the time loop is stable. Stable Time Loop - TV Tropes
Whatever you choose to do, it creates the reality that you know. in a sense you have no choice of what to do, when it comes to time travel. it is almost as there is such a thing as fate. If you go back in time and change something it creates the present. if you don't go back in time and change anything, it creates the present.

lovely example here, especially the one near the end about driving Hitler's parents to become abusive. Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act

They say that there were aliens or gods that walked the earth. what if these were time travelers. What if they travelled to the past to see who these gods or aliens were, only to find that they themselves ended up being the aliens or Gods.
The ones who admitted the time period they were from, were killed. viewed as insane or heretical to the tribes of the day. The ones who didn't, the ones who got stuck and took advantage of the situation became Gods. I mean you think about the Greek Gods. Zeus had all of these wives and stuff. is it possible that Zeus was a time traveler who liked women. Maybe he traveled back in time to take advantage of women lol, and he would travel to mount olympus because... originally that is where he expected to see the "Gods", only to find that he was the God who appeared on Mount Olympus.

of course that example is mostly for humor. There is no need to take it seriously and point out the obvious flaws. but you get my point.

Yup. I've thought about this as well. Something bad happening is not limited to changing the past and present though. It could mean that we're changing the present and future too.

I mean, if you think of time as a converging piece of fabric, where each choice we make today cancels out other choices, by traveling back and forth to the past and to today again, we could be opening rifts in this fabric. Opening up possibilities that starts to make time diverge as more people travel. It might only be the barest of tears, but if you have enough weak cuts in the cloth, it might split easily.

By exploring the past, we might change the future. Risky business.
I don't know. that's not how the stable time loop works. the stable time loop is stable. you don't change anything. you think that you are changing something, only to discover that nothing has changed. Consider for a moment that if time travel were possible, all of the time traveling to the past has already happened. we are living in a reality already determined by time traveling.

The only way that change might happen is if someone goes back in time to change and rechange what he did. of course the end result will always be what we know. He goes back in time and kills hitler, then the Russians take over the world. So he goes back in time to do something else and somehow or another ends up restoring the original timeline that he knows. Not just the one we know, but the one he knows.
Like that Twilight Zone episode where the lady goes back and kills Hitler, the parents don't tell anyone their baby was killed, they just buy a baby from gypsies and christen him Adolf. and that child is the real Adolf Hitler.

Keep in mind that this is what Einstein believed about Time Travel.

And when you consider Time to just be another spacial dimension that we travel through but can't see, it actually makes sense that there would be a "fate". our bodies snake through the fourth dimension, but we are only ever seeing a slither at a time. our path ahead is already formed, we just haven't seen those slithers yet. I am not sure if this is how time works, but most scientists that I have heard speak on the subject describe it this way.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
@grandpa2390

Oh oops, I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to the Stable Time Loop in my explanation. I personally do not believe in it.

First dimension is only a small view of the world. Second dimension, the world becomes bigger. Third dimension, even more freedom is added. If you as a being lived from the first to second, to third dimension, why would your choice become limited with a fourth dimension added?

We might as well be living in the second dimension if there is only one future to write and no choice, only fate.

Edit: Though it is possible that the Stable Time Loop only applies to the past and not the future.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts