Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to this forum.. I've, for the first time in my life, found that my personality type is ISTJ with an enneagram type 1. Now experts... specifically... how do I get the most out of this information?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
You have to ask yourself what it is you want. Also, do you know your instinctual stackings yet? Else that would be the next step, imo.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Hhhmmm.....

Are you sure there isn't a wing on that enneagram result? I'm not sure what the chances are of being a balanced 1, but I do know that mine is a 1w2.

As for getting the most out of this, there are various ways to use this information. For example, you could read a book like "The Introvert's Advantage" that discusses a bit more about Introverts as an idea. There are ways to see how each of the four temperaments have their strengths and weaknesses, though this may take some work to see how in your case each works.

If you dig into the Enneagram a bit more you may notice how a 1 can have issues with perfectionistic tendencies. I don't know if you have this problem or not, but I do know I have had to deal with it. There can be advantages to knowing I am this type though. I have high standards and a desire to meet them for example.

This is just a couple of ideas that I imagine you could investigate or research more on your own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure there isn't a wing on that enneagram result? I'm not sure what the chances are of being a balanced 1, but I do know that mine is a 1w2.

As for getting the most out of this, there are various ways to use this information. For example, you could read a book like "The Introvert's Advantage" that discusses a bit more about Introverts as an idea. There are ways to see how each of the four temperaments have their strengths and weaknesses, though this may take some work to see how in your case each works.

If you dig into the Enneagram a bit more you may notice how a 1 can have issues with perfectionistic tendencies. I don't know if you have this problem or not, but I do know I have had to deal with it. There can be advantages to knowing I am this type though. I have high standards and a desire to meet them for example.

This is just a couple of ideas that I imagine you could investigate or research more on your own.
Thank you for your comment. I was expecting more... perhaps I will do more investigation on my own. Nothing like a blind adventure to get the juices flowing. By the way jbking... what are those couple of ideas?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. YouTube - The Dynamic Enneagram - Secondary Gains - Tom Condon I think that when you have a good understanding of the system, or as you research the system, that you should combine it with something more action-oriented.
I have found that the works of Anthony Robbins are great in combination with the enneagram.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Hhhhmmm....

Thank you for your comment. I was expecting more... perhaps I will do more investigation on my own. Nothing like a blind adventure to get the juices flowing. By the way jbking... what are those couple of ideas?
Those couple of ideas were what I mentioned earlier in the post. Exploring how to use your MBTI temperaments to your advantage and what strengths there are within that Enneagram type respectively. For example, you could dig into the cognitive functions and see how you use these in your everyday life.

That introvert book I mentioned is an example of that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh..!

Those couple of ideas were what I mentioned earlier in the post. Exploring how to use your MBTI temperaments to your advantage and what strengths there are within that Enneagram type respectively. For example, you could dig into the cognitive functions and see how you use these in your everyday life.

That introvert book I mentioned is an example of that.
I understand, however I intend to change my present temperaments... strengthen those I consider suitable qualities. As for being an introvert... I think I can do better. I would like companion study materials based upon topic like how to change ones' temperaments. It would help if you can suggest a couple for me jbking?

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
I understand, however I intend to change my present temperaments... strengthen those I consider suitable qualities. As for being an introvert... I think I can do better. I would like companion study materials based upon topic like how to change ones' temperaments. It would help if you can suggest a couple for me jbking?
It isn't possibke to change your temperment. The best you can do is improve yourself. All types are as good as another we just have different strengths.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Well....

No, I don't know of any books that teach how you could change temperaments. While I do believe one can slide a little on the scale, I'm not sure this could be done enough times to make a great move. That sliding takes a lot of work to understand what beliefs one has and try to do something different often enough that it becomes almost automatic. For example a book like "Mind Over Mood" has exercises and suggestions on how to discover and try to reprogram one's mind that is as close as I know. I have tried some of those exercises and uncovered some beliefs of mine. I do not have a psychology degree nor have I studied this in any great depth.

Something to consider is why you'd value one place on a scale more than another. In my mind, all the places on the continuum have value. While tests can try to measure one's place on each scale, this isn't quite like measuring one's height that is much simpler to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It isn't possibke to change your temperment. The best you can do is improve yourself. All types are as good as another we just have different strengths.
Like every unknown TreeBob... things only seem impossible until it is proven possible. Perhaps I will do better an prove the present theory wrong but until then...how do you suggest I improve my strengths and strengthen my weaknesses? .

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
Like every unknown TreeBob... things only seem impossible until it is proven possible. Perhaps I will do better an prove the present theory wrong but until then...how do you suggest I improve my strengths and strengthen my weaknesses? .
How should I know. You know you, not me. Good luck trying to change your brain patterns.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts