Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is a challenge - to type Evangelion's characters. Here is my opinion:

Shinji Ikari: 4w5>9w8>5w6 Sp/So INFJ.
I think that the tritype 459 fits well to this character - triple withdrawn. Shinji looks more 4-ish to me, since he is too much absorbed in his world... It looks like he lives inside his own head... Also he is complex and he is always looking for his self. Sp/So 4s are the least volatile and fire type 4 .. Also this variant stacking may remeber type 6 due to anxiety issues - I think Shinji doesn't have 6 in his tritype. If so he would be more engaging and he would be even more protective toward his society/himself/others.

Asuka: 8w7>7w8>3w4 Sx/So ENFP.
378 fits here - most assertive type. Sx/So 8s demand attention from others so yeah this seems to fit here.

Rei: 6w5>2w1>9w8 Sp/Sx ISTJ.
Ok this one is hard... She looks more 6-ish than 2-ish...

Commander Ikari: 5w6>4w5>8w9 Sx/Sp INTJ.

Misato: 6w7>3w4>8w9 Sx/So ENFP.

Well, give me your opinion.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've only watched the recent movies so I can't say for sure whether or not the characters match their types in the anime but here are my guesses:

Shinji: INFJ 9w1 sp/so - 4 is an image type and Shinji is far from someone preoccupied with their image. 9 fits since Shinji rather prefers to be by himself and easily bends to the wills of others. He also gets more catatonic than dramatic at his unhealthier states.

Asuka: xSTJ 3w4 so/sx - Cares entirely for her image and can easily feel slighted when praise is given to someone else. Gets extremely jealous of others and always wants to prove her worth to superiors. ISTJ, because she claims she doesn't like being around people much, at least in the movie, and ESTJ, from the little I know, in other media.

Rei: ISTJ 9w1 sx/sp - Feels strongly about getting close to Shinji and Gendo, hence the merging aspect. Introverted, keeps to herself, and takes orders from others with little to no issues.

Misato: ENFP 7w6 sx/so - Hides her pain and frustrations by trying to be happy-go-lucky all the time. Classic 7.

Gendo: INTJ 5w6 sx/sp - The standard strategist. Loves his wife severely and showers Rei with the same kind of affection. Closed off from everyone else.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm going to try and track down the interview where he states it, but Anno has said that all of the main characters are introverted (and given his knowledge of psychology I'd say probably knew what he was talking about). Typing is almost impossible with characters as messed up as these are. And we have the reboots which have their own changes. That being said:

Shinji: introverted sensing with feeling
Rei: introverted thinking with sensing
Asuka: introverted sensing with thinking (this isn't right but she's too damaged to tell)
Misato: introverted feeling with sensing
Gendo: introverted intuition with thinking

Ritsuko: extraverted thinking with sensing
Toji: introverted thinking with sensing
Kaworu: introverted intuition with feeling
Mari: extroverted sensing with feeling

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. I agree with this, good point!
I've only watched the recent movies so I can't say for sure whether or not the characters match their types in the anime but here are my guesses:

Shinji: INFJ 9w1 sp/so - 4 is an image type and Shinji is far from someone preoccupied with their image. 9 fits since Shinji rather prefers to be by himself and easily bends to the wills of others. He also gets more catatonic than dramatic at his unhealthier states.
I disagree with your classification for Asuka. In the movie yeah she may be seen as 3w4 but in the series the 8w7 is clear with a 3 heart-fix. She is affraid of being a puppet, being manipulated, being weak (because her mother was mentally troubled and treated a toy as her actual daughter... while Asuka was considered an unknown). She also looks more Sx, imo, in the series cause her relationship with Kaji.

Asuka: xSTJ 3w4 so/sx - Cares entirely for her image and can easily feel slighted when praise is given to someone else. Gets extremely jealous of others and always wants to prove her worth to superiors. ISTJ, because she claims she doesn't like being around people much, at least in the movie, and ESTJ, from the little I know, in other media.

Hmm I can agree with this. However she also looks 2 as core, cause as she says 'She would die with commander Ikari say so to her'. I am a bit indecisive... It looks both 2/6 and 9 at the same time
Rei: ISTJ 9w1 sx/sp - Feels strongly about getting close to Shinji and Gendo, hence the merging aspect. Introverted, keeps to herself, and takes orders from others with little to no issues.
Hmm Agree, to some point. However in the series, in some episodes she reminds me 6, perhaps a very strong 6 wing.
Misato: ENFP 7w6 sx/so - Hides her pain and frustrations by trying to be happy-go-lucky all the time. Classic 7.

Reactions: leadintea

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hmm I can agree with this. However she also looks 2 as core, cause as she says 'She would die with commander Ikari say so to her'. I am a bit indecisive... It looks both 2/6 and 9 at the same time
Rei is definitely not a 2. She doesn't have the warmth 2's have, she's too impersonal, she doesn't care about giving or helping anyone, and she isn't concerned about her image. The quote above that she said could also be said by a sx 4, 5, 6, or 9. Like I said, the merging aspect of the sexual 9 really makes her submissive to whoever she loves, like Gendo so that quote doesn't surprise me at all for a 9 to say.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just finished the End of Evangelion:sad:... That was probably the creepiest movie I've ever seen...
Shinji - A classic Fi/Si loop INFP. I don't really see him as INFJ at all, because he has such strong Fi and Si:happy:.I don't know enough about enneagram yet to really type him:frustrating:... I don't know if most INFPs are sooo extremely driven by wanted to be loved, but maybe that's enneagram related? Being the same type as Shinji makes me slightly uncomfortable:crazy:
Asuka - ESTJ. I can definitely see Si, Te and Fi in her, and it seems to overall fit. It's interesting that she's the opposite of shinji (^-^)!
Rei - ISTJ
Misato - ENFP
Kaworu - INFJ, perhaps extroverted. He seems to be a strong Ni user, and he's so great at reading Shinji that I think he may be a Fe type (though in my experience Fi types are better at truly understanding and reading people. It this just me that thinks this:laughing:?) He and Shinji are so perfect together:blushed:! Does anyone else love them as much as I do:happy:?
Gendo - INTJ
Ritsuko - A realistic portrayal of an ISTJ:happy:. I know an ISTJ and she reminds me a lot of Ritsuko!
Kaiji - ENTP
Ibuki - ISFJ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts