Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah I have, multiple times. I was hanging out with my ESFP friend yesterday. anyway these are some of our conversations...

***I am NOT in any way trying to make ESFPs look bad! ESFPs are awesome an amazing so don't judge her or any ESFPs off of this!***

*when sitting in my room, bored*
Me: *le sigh, eats chocolate covered strawberry thing*
ESFP friend: "Hey, you gave up candy for lent!"
Me: "Psh! Haha! That's not candy! If things with chocolate are candy then granola bars would be candy! I gave up packaged candy, like the kind that's wrapped!"
ESFP friend: "HAHAHA! Who says 'packaged candy'?"
Me: "Well there technically is a difference. Some things like those peanut butter balls aren't candy because they weren't prepackaged. They were homemade. With you and me!" :)
ESFP: "Oh God. You're such an uptight little nerd. That's why I love you." xD lololol

*at her house*
ESFP friend: "Dude, could you help me with this science homework?"
Me: "Sure man! Alright let me see your paper- WOAHHH... We need to set some goals here."
ESFP: "Uh, okay... Like what?"
Me: "I mean not to be rude, but could you try to make your handwriting more legible? I can't read it... Sorry if that came across wrong... I'm just trying to help you improve, ya know?"
ESFP: "... Okay. It's chill, I could barely read it either."
Me: *thinks* Oh gosh I'm so uptight... :p

*at the school dance in 8th grade*
ESFP: "Hey look! Some hot guys!"
Me: "Aw, you and (guy name) would be cute together! Go for it!"
ESFP: "Let's go over and hang with them!"
Me: "Haha, it's okay, I could see where this could go. And it's not good. Knock yourself out, bud."
ESFP: "OMG STOP! Just live!"
Me: "Yep, I'm alive! You happy? *sarcastic, pissed off face*"

This isnt how all of our conversations go. However she constantly tells me to "live" and "let live" or whatever. I love her to death but I don't understand! She thinks I'm so uptight! But I think I am uptight so I can't blame her. C:

w00t for teh uptight peeps!///!!!111

·
Registered
770 Posts
You don't seem particularly uptight judging from what you posted. I'd be mildly annoyed if a friend kept telling me I was uptight and needed to relax, lol. How about whenever she makes a comment like that, joke that she needs to get her act together because she's far too carefree! :p Just shrug her off if she wants to argue with you after you've explained why you don't want to do something. Don't feel the need to explain yourself all the time, either. ;)

Don't let others peoples opinions of you influence how you view yourself. Easier said than done, I know, but it gets easier as you get older and wiser.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Yeah, this happens to me with some people, it drives me crazy. Or I explain my thoughts or feelings about things, or my goals, and they are like ''omg, stop being so emo'' or whatever, and I find it really offensive, because I wasn't sad or anything... its like they hear certain words and stop listening, or they don't get what I'm trying to say. I'm guessing that it mostly happens with ''s''s.

I hate people that only like the bouncy, funny, energised party animal me- if I kept it up all the time, it would be nothing more than an act, and I would feel resentful that they couldn't accept the other parts as me, because they are pretty awesome too.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, this happens to me with some people, it drives me crazy. Or I explain my thoughts or feelings about things, or my goals, and they are like ''omg, stop being so emo'' or whatever, and I find it really offensive, because I wasn't sad or anything... its like they hear certain words and stop listening, or they don't get what I'm trying to say. I'm guessing that it mostly happens with ''s''s.

I hate people that only like the bouncy, funny, energised party animal me- if I kept it up all the time, it would be nothing more than an act, and I would feel resentful that they couldn't accept the other parts as me, because they are pretty awesome too.
Omg, same! Also my ENFJ neighbor does that all the time to me... xP

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i would call those examples being uptight i'd call them being awesome! XD

I do something similar sometimes half intetionally but i usually refer to it as being a "stickler" (65% i didn't make that word up, 80% sure i spellt it wrong). It fun making a big deal of categories and distinctions, and it's only a problem when people mistkae my anecdotes for complaints.

And on the more serious side well it's a bit of over thinking mixed in with a healthy concern that many teenagers seems to lack.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Yes, i have been told to lighten up. My husband tells me i'm too intense at times, and when i lose patients i can be really anal about things.

Reactions: Some Kind of Blue

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,227 Posts
Yeah! My ESFP stepmom and ENTJ dad always blast me for being "too serious." If only they knew...I find my stepmom, though I like her, shallow, hedonistic, and I just can't identify too much with her. As for my dad, he thinks he's more social than he is and enjoys saying over-the-top racist, derogatory, misogynistic or otherwise unpalatable humor you just don't want to hear from a parent. When I don't laugh he gets really annoyed, which is always. Hey, he's an NT, and he thinks he knows best...Kinda born with it or so sayeth the book "Please Understand Me II." In his mind it's "How could I not be amazing? How could I not be so funny? It's unthinkable that I couldn't be!"

·
Registered
923 Posts
One of those (in the middle) is you being down on yourself for being a little critical, not your friend being down on you...(I think that's a very ENFP trait!)

One (the last one) - and maybe a really major one from how you describe her always saying "just live!" --I think might be due to the difference between a sensor's focus on the nowness of things and our own tendencies to move at lightening speeds to imagining their possible future conclusions...and *not* the result of you being too uptight.

See, no worries ;)

Does your friend know about MBTI?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One of those (in the middle) is you being down on yourself for being a little critical, not your friend being down on you...(I think that's a very ENFP trait!)

One (the last one) - and maybe a really major one from how you describe her always saying "just live!" --I think might be due to the difference between a sensor's focus on the nowness of things and our own tendencies to move at lightening speeds to imagining their possible future conclusions...and *not* the result of you being too uptight.

See, no worries ;)

Does your friend know about MBTI?
Hmm, :) and she's in 7th grade, so not yet... we all take it in 8th for "team time." But she's about as ESFP as one can get. xD w00tness!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm not a ENFP, but I don't get the impression that most ENFPs are that uptight or have trouble lightening up, that's something xxTJs are usually accused of out of most of the types, maybe if the ENFP was in Ne+Te mode for a while they can seem unpredictable, moody, and a little controling but ENFPs usually have a pretty carefree reputation don't they? I think that most people would perceive a ENFP(or NPs in general) as spacey, scatter-brained, loopy, and receptive to many possible perspectives and experiences.

Reactions: Some Kind of Blue
1 - 14 of 14 Posts