Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did any infj here feel like they were an istp when they were young? i feel like i have a lot of istp traits but kinda transformed into infj. Actually I'm not sure whether im an infj who takes traits from istp or an istp who takes traits from infj. Keep in mind im only 16 so im still developing and still trying to search and unveal my true self. It could be that certain influences caused me to develope different traits. Or is this normal and you still feel like an istp?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
what made you think you were more like ISTP in childhood?

I was always an INFJ, however, as a kid I was very heavy in Ni/Ne but lacking in Fe/Fi which were underdeveloped until I hit 11-12 and my Ti didn't develop until like 20s. So I was creative and had a curious mind for figuring out how things work, but didn't strive to please people and had little empathy or sympathy for others. I guess it might be something alike ISTP behavior.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I think its because INFJs are always so mature. So mature its like they mastered all their functions by the age of 12...
Including Ti And Se....

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think its because INFJs are always so mature. So mature its like they mastered all their functions by the age of 12...
Including Ti And Se....
I don't think so...At least, we might "dabble" more in all the functions at an earlier age, but I know I am still far from mastering them all at 25...

To the OP: Since Se is an INFJ's inferior function, this means-- from my understanding-- that it is a function which can be strong in us at times, but also difficult to control.

Do you ever find yourself suddenly caught up in the moment, overwhelmed with all the sensual stimuli, hardly aware of how you even got there? This happened to me a lot when I was younger-- still does on occasion, though not too often now, I'm learning to control it better. I acutally tested as ISTP when I was sixteen, too, though reading the description I knew it couldn't really be me (though parts of it sounded like me), but I really wished it were, it just sounded so...appealing.

INFJ functions are Ni Fe Ti Se. ISTP functions are Ti Se Ni Fe. So, same four functions, different order. I think you'll find, though, that if you really are INFJ you will find your Fe emerging more as you mature and then you won't seem so ISTP-ish.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I felt like an ENFJ when I was younger, as in 4-9 years old. I was very outgoing and a social leader, although I also enjoyed a lot of alone time.

Then I felt like an INTJ when I was going through the later parts of my childhood and my adolescent years: 10-17.

I'd say it was around college, when my INFJ preferences really displayed themselves very prominently, most likely because I was in a new environment with more choice to structure my surroundings and interactions with others. That said, I would say I was always an INFJ, with certain preferences developing and balancing themselves.

Nowadays, I usually function as an ISTJ under high amounts of stress (I started a thread on this a while back and it seems many others relate to this shift). I'm still an INFJ, but when I get so overwhelmed, I really need the "ST" preferences to get on my feet, make the objective decisions I need, get back in control of my life and my thinking-process.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya its probably cause infjs and istps use the same functions but in a different order. Then as you get older the order starts to change a little and be more developed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts