Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I became aware that when I'm in deep thought, daydreaming or other, I tilt my head to the right. I could be walking down the street like this. hee hee.
My thought is maybe it has something to do with the fact I'm so right-brained.
But maybe it could just be my neck feels more naturally positioned that way. I notice I sleep on my pillow with my head (like my nose) pointed to the left, twisting the right side of my neck, and the other way is uncomfortable.

Am I onto something?
Am I full of rubbish?
Either is fine, just share your thoughts, please. :kitteh:

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was just doing it right now! It may have something to with the side our dominant hand is at (side we are more capable of doing something "active") but it may also have something to do with when humans are thinking they usually look to the right side and up and when they're lying they usually look on the left side (it's pretty accurate from my experience).

·
Registered
917 Posts
im left handed i tilt my head both ways though, no idea why or if thers a pattern to it, never tohught aobut it before

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
51 Posts
I too tilt my head a lot. When daydreaming. While pondering something. When I find something strange or puzzling.

I've actually done some thinking on this, and in my experience, I tilt my head to the side which brain activity is more dominant. As I usually tilt to the right, and right brain is for imagination. It goes like this "Aaaah! My dreamy creativity is going madly overboard! Right brain side is getting sooooo heavy!!! I just have to tilt my head right-wards!" (OK, I don't really think this, it just happens:) When I once in a while tilt my head to the left, it is usually while trying to remember boring facts, lying or feeling uncomfortable.

And I too tilted my head a lot while writing just now.

·
Banned
554 Posts
there are studies shown that specific eye coordination and where our vision is directed in thought - whether it is recollecting depressed information, a memory etc. and when you are deceiving or manipulating information, a story, detail etc.

if i remember correctly, the liar will look to his right, and the recollector will look at his right?
but a liar who does not make eye contact - that's not enough evidence to say that he is lying. sometimes liars, a good liar, will purposely make eye contact with his subject. to appear sincere.

·
Registered
917 Posts
there are studies shown that specific eye coordination and where our vision is directed in thought - whether it is recollecting depressed information, a memory etc. and when you are deceiving or manipulating information, a story, detail etc.

if i remember correctly, the liar will look to his right, and the recollector will look at his right?
but a liar who does not make eye contact - that's not enough evidence to say that he is lying. sometimes liars, a good liar, will purposely make eye contact with his subject. to appear sincere.
so how does that work if you can only see clearly to your right and the lefts a perminant blur?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Tilting slightly forward to the right, however, that's due to me messing up my neck (uncomfortable/painful to tilt it to the left/backwards.
For the record, while sleeping/resting I turn my head to the left.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
<- Righthanded 'Leftie'.

I tilt mine to the left. Wonder why. Tilting to the right feels more angry. *is tilting her head back and forth as she types*
Doesn't feel angry to me, just unnatural. I also prefer tilting my head to the left while letting it rest on my left hand. Then again, I may have my right hand resting on my mouse.

·
Banned
554 Posts
so how does that work if you can only see clearly to your right and the lefts a perminant blur?
i think you misinterpreted my content. majority of the time you are being observed, how the information is gathered was under a controlled study. because we are not entirely aware - unless we stress conscious effort in doing so, but that in itself might manipulate the genuine result.. - of where we direct our gaze when deceiving/manipulating/day dreaming etc, or remember events that actually took place, it needs to be observed. and studies have collected that lying = looking to the left, and spouting out events that actually took place to the = looking to the right.

i do have doubt in this 'study' because there are proficient liars, who make deception and evading people an art, they will study what they need to study to get away with that they do! it's a theory - in my eyes. interesting nonetheless.'

i don't know it would work in your case. ask someone to observe you i guess?

·
Registered
917 Posts
i think you misinterpreted my content. majority of the time you are being observed, how the information is gathered was under a controlled study. because we are not entirely aware - unless we stress conscious effort in doing so, but that in itself might manipulate the genuine result.. - of where we direct our gaze when deceiving/manipulating/day dreaming etc, or remember events that actually took place, it needs to be observed. and studies have collected that lying = looking to the left, and spouting out events that actually took place to the = looking to the right.

i do have doubt in this 'study' because there are proficient liars, who make deception and evading people an art, they will study what they need to study to get away with that they do! it's a theory - in my eyes. interesting nonetheless.'

i don't know it would work in your case. ask someone to observe you i guess?
i don't think i misinterpretated at all, i was just attempting to point out that looking in a particular direction is not a sign of truth or a lack of it, linking an action to just one other action as an explanation eg if you look left your lying is a flawed argument it is creating a link between one possible cause and an effect with no consideration that the effect has multiple causes, that combined may far exceed the frequency of the cause being refered too.

The cause-->effect may well exist under carefully controlled lab conditions but the conclusions useless outside of those conditions because there are so many other factors that can cause someone to look left while talking eg: i wanted to check the clock, thats where the window is, a really attractive man/woman is behind you and to your left.....

·
Banned
554 Posts
i don't think i misinterpretated at all, i was just attempting to point out that looking in a particular direction is not a sign of truth or a lack of it, linking an action to just one other action as an explanation eg if you look left your lying is a flawed argument it is creating a link between one possible cause and an effect with no consideration that the effect has multiple causes, that combined may far exceed the frequency of the cause being refered too.

The cause-->effect may well exist under carefully controlled lab conditions but the conclusions useless outside of those conditions because there are so many other factors that can cause someone to look left while talking eg: i wanted to check the clock, thats where the window is, a really attractive man/woman is behind you and to your left.....
whoever conducted the study correlated eye direction and deception. there are tons of papers published and in depth studies done on it. i don't necessarily believe it thoroughly, but it is interesting!

and thats not related to my content at all. that's where i think you misinterpreted things.
wanted to check the clock, thats where the window is, a really attractive man/woman is behind you and to your left.....
obviously looking for the clock isn't going to be used to base anything on.
i would like to go in-depth about how the process is conducted but unfortunately i don't have the energy, this can easily be understood by research.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
I dunno if I tilt my head, but I know I try to recall information a lot during conversation. I noticed that my eyes roll to the right hand side. I noticed that the person who is talking to me goes and then stares at what I am staring at and then they turn back to me. LOL.... cos they think that they have something else behind them. LOL..... I did that today, and then i tried to bring my eyes back to focus at the person I am talking to. :)

I really noticed that a lot lately.... Things you notice of yourself. Hm ...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I might tilt my head to the right, but it's not something that I've noticed in particular.

However, I can say for sure that I look to the right and down when I've run out of things to say or ideas.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Seems there's much tilting going on. Maybe some day, when I have more time for such things, I will get to the bottom of this!

·
Registered
798 Posts
*tilts head to the right*
*tilts head to the left*

...Nope, they both feel natural, although different, for me. Left seems to feel more like..."That doesn't sound right. Let me thoroughly think through what you just said." Right seems more out of it, dreamy, maybe a bit playful.

My preference when I sleep depends on which direction my nightstand is in; I'll usually face the opposite direction. So...I don't think that's relevant. :laughing:

·
Registered
7,676 Posts

Actually, the liar looks directly at the person they're talking to to see if their lies are being believed. They do look to the left for retrieval though.

Taking this is psychology of emotions.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts