Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Millennial mania is soon to be replaced by the next generation: Gen Z. Born between 1995-2012, we’re the first generation of digital natives and our influence continues to grow by leaps and bounds. By 2020, Gen Z will account for 40% of all consumers and influence nearly $4 billion in discretionary spending. Why 1995? That was the year the Internet became commercialized, so we've never lived in a world without it. The oldest of us were 12 when the first iPhone was launched in 2007, so all of our teenage years were spent with their existence, and they've been around for more than half our lives now. We're more prone to mental health issues and smartphone addiction than our predecessors because of this. We're also defined by growing up mainly in a post-9/11 world, with constant war, security everywhere, and overprotective parents. Because of this, we tend to be more fearful, cautious, less optimistic, and more practical than Millennials (1980-1994). In 2020, we'll be aged 8-25.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I haven't done too much research into this, but I would probably end Generation Z earlier than 2012. I would end it at 2009.

If we assume that memory begins at age 5, then nobody born after 2009 can remember before Scotland voted no to independence. I see pre-referendum Scotland as being somewhat of a backbone for the relevance of Christian values outside the church. If you live somewhere like Great Britain or in the United States in 2021, I don't think that Christian values would be politically acceptable in secular situations. Before 2014, you could oppose homosexuality for example and your views would be tolerated in the secular, even if it meant that you were anything but mainstream.

I would say that to be Generation Z, you would need to remember when presbyterian culture was of equal consequence in the secular as roman catholic culture.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I would say that to be Generation Z, you would need to remember when presbyterian culture was of equal consequence in the secular as roman catholic culture.
What about people living on the other side of globe?

·
Registered
59 Posts
What about people living on the other side of globe?
It would be different in other parts of the world, of course. I don't imagine that Africans for example would've had the internet as early as Japanese/Americans. That is probably why the Pew Research Center extends their definition of Generation Y to 1996 even though a website such as PersonalityCafe goes no further than 1994. They went for a global definition, not a regional one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts