Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you relate?

Possible questions:

• Do you think that things are good for you in moderation?
  • Do you live your life in excesses?
  • Is this personality related or cultural?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Do you think that things are good for you in moderation?
Yes, in general. Eating, sleeping, talking, reading, pooping, socializing, running, so many things best done in moderation.

Do you live your life in excesses?
I try not to, though of course I'm not perfect. I'm on the computer too much, I should go outside more often, many such excesses exist, but I am conscious of them and try to remedy them.

Is this personality related or cultural?
Perhaps a bit of both. This lesson was pounded into me through my culture, but I think some personalities would be more or less likely to agree with it- most INTP's less so, I would guess ;)

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes, simply put. You know what they say about having too much of a good thing.

It really depends on how you look at it. I've always had issues with time management and just, in general, following the concept of willpower. While I do honestly try not to, sometimes I slip up and something happens that isn't moderation-approved. I'm not so delusional I can say I live the perfectly moderated life; we all have faults.

Well, before I took my anthropology 101 course, I would've said personality related, but now I'm going to say both. There are cultures that simply don't have access to enough of the things they need to be able to live in moderation, meaning when they do get access to what they need, they do what we consider 'overindulge'. Who knows when they're going to get more of whatever they're 'overindulging' on?
In terms of western culture, I would say it's more so personality related, since I do know people that believe in living life in excess and enjoy it. I might not agree with how they live their life, but it's the way they are, and it works for them, so who am I to judge? But I can't ignore the fact there are other cultures out there that live differently than we do. And I'm sure there are some people within such 'different' cultures that don't like living in excess when possible, but for the most part in such cultures it seems to be a predominating way of life for them.
So both.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would say that if you're going to follow the 'everything in moderation' idea, then you'd have to moderate moderation too, right?

I remember one instance where I stayed up until 5am completely wrecked on chocolate biscuits, laughing my ass off until I fell asleep. Then woke up 7 hours later feeling better than I've ever felt. In this instance the dubious 'chocolate biscuits' were only a large quantity of beers but I think with certain things you can take them to what would be considered excess to some and still feel pretty good afterwards. And by this I don't just mean substances, I mean the enjoyment of art, literature...whatever interests you. The idea of moderating passions that are dear to you seems sadistic to me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yes, because it's impossible for too much of anything to be good for you as it is by definition "too" much. Meaning that moderation is the key!

Too much chocolate, too much computer, not enough exercise, too much procrastination... The list goes on (actually I'm procrastinating right now) :'(

Definitely personality related. I don't think you can really blame my chocolate addiction on my social, historical, cultural context. In all truth it's probably just a calcium deficiency... yolo?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts