Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situations that are clear evidence of your (severe) introversion, that and your disregard for social norms.

For example this one situation that I was in:
I went to a 1300 man LAN (1700 people in total including spectators) for 3 days straight and spoke to only 5 people. My best friend sat in the spot next to me, and we only spoke once every 4 hours on average. I probably received more social stimulus from the multiplayer games than actual interaction. I spent roughly 1/3 of the LAN playing a singleplayer game. In spite of all of that I had really a lot of fun.

Now your turn. Just give examples of situations that you've been in that provide testament to your Introversion super power/ability. Being a hermit doesn't count, because that's just cheating.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
I was invited to a BBQ that took place at a state park. My friend drove his GF and I to this event. There must have been at least 30 people he and his GF knows and another 150+ other people and a community having a BBQ party by themselves.

I disappeared taking a walk around the lake or pond, found a tree, plopped down and read a book until I received a text saying it was time to go.

So the entire time, I said hi and shook hands with about six out of the 30... didn't have food nor soda... then said bye by waving to everyone as we all left.

And I didn't feel bad or weird at all about it.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
I was invited to a BBQ that took place at a state park. My friend drove his GF and I to this event. There must have been at least 30 people he and his GF knows and another 150+ other people and a community having a BBQ party by themselves.

I disappeared taking a walk around the lake or pond, found a tree, plopped down and read a book until I received a text saying it was time to go.

So the entire time, I said hi and shook hands with about six out of the 30... didn't have food nor soda... then said bye by waving to everyone as we all left.

And I didn't feel bad or weird at all about it.
I tend to do a similar thing except that I just grab food and really don't talk to anyone if I am at such a large event. 7 foot tall guy has to eat you know haha.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I teach an SAT class and some of the kids go home on the same train as me.

So I will sit and twiddle my thumbs on a streetcorner for a couple of minutes and hope they got on a train before me.

And if they're still there, I will get off one stop later and transfer to a trolley, even though it means I will get home at least 10 minutes later than if I had just stayed on the train with them.

But today I actually started a conversation with them and rode the train all the way with them! It was okay! They're very friendly and enthusiastic!

But I only did this because the trolley line has been shut down for construction this week.

*socially awkward penguin*

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I once met Michael Jackson the beer hunter at book signing. As he walked past me he looked directly at me at if if wanted to interact with me. I'm a huge beer geek and lover of Michael's work but was froze in fear. My wife still laughs at how I couldn't muster a single word when I had the opportunity to speak to someone I've always wanted to meet.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I was shopping with my step mum and she bumped into a friend of hers she hadn't seen in years. It took me about a minute to realise I'd scratched my elbow about 5 times because I felt uncomfortable just standing there and listening to the convo. Plus I had no interest in the convo. When she asked that I get a 12 pack of water I decided I preferred wondering around the shop for 10 minutes rather than stay there and pretend to give a s***.

When I go with friends to other peoples house who I'm unfamiliar with I pray they have a pet to keep me occupied for the 2 hours I'm there. Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Sometimes I avoid asking people for advice knowing they'll waffle for a good 5-10 minutes about irrelevant crap afterwards.

·
Banned
701 Posts
The worst thing that can happen to me when school begins is having a single classmate who takes the same path home. Two classmates are okay, it's easier to bring on topics and when you're too tired you can just let them talk together, provided they're not introverts too.

But one classmate is guaranteed awkwardness. Plus you can't just put your headphones and listen to music unless you want both of you to feel even more awkward.

Then, you have to set up plans of evasion, other train stations, fake excuses and tricks to go home with that person as rarely as possible.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Situations that are clear evidence of your (severe) introversion, that and your disregard for social norms.
But I am an introvert, at least in the semi-colloquial sense, and don't disregard social norms. Some of them I employ, such as wearing pants in public. Some of them I don't employ, such as enjoying a lot of day time television. It depends on its merit and use.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I went to Australia with a working holiday visa. Most people go there to have an awesome adventurous time, work a bit, travel a lot, get drunk loads. I got a job, kept it, worked as much as humanly possible so I could save money, and studied mathematics in my spare time. Had friends at work who I only saw at work, had 'housemates' who were just the people I lived with - not really friends. And had about three other friends who I only met with reluctance on less than ten occasions (they're great people, but I'm just so antisocial :s ).

I admit that was a bit far-out for me. Normally I would be a bit more social in my free time, but I got carried away with the studying, ended up with a really rigid routine and for some reason I fucking loved it. 8 months of near-solitude in a foreign country.

Then again... I'm in Korea now and have spent more time than ever before on the Internet. Again I have forged a routine for myself. It consists of indoor climbing three times a week, skateboarding on my own at impulsive times if the weather's good, and... you guessed it.. studying more maths in preparation for when I start university in September. I have no interest in going out and seeing the sights, or finding social gatherings of fellow foreigners in Korea, or any other namby-pamby backslapping cringeworthy social activity with people I hardly know. So I'm on my own here, and am doing a frighteningly good job of keeping it that way.

wtf.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I prefer to sleep during the day and stay awake during the night so as to minimize human contact . I'd like to do this by falling asleep as soon as I come back from university, sleep till 10:30 or so and then stay awake till morning. It's difficult to keep to this pattern though. I can usually manage to do this during weekends, that way I'm usually asleep during the day if family members visit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would go to the pub with my student friends...and when the small talk got too much, I would slip away unseen or just suddenly run out the door and walk miles along the cliffs or seaside. At night. For hours.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I attended a music festival this weekend. There were so many times that I wanted to say "fuck it, lets stay in our hotel room all weekend than be around 30,000 drunk/high idiots singing along to music." I ended up attending all three days. There were times when I seriously needed to be alone for 15 minutes because I became cranky and irritated by being around people literally for 6+ hours. I always found ways to avoid small talk with friends and any girl there that assumed I was single. Unless I was drunk.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Other than the obvious ones, ie:.Not leaving my house for weeks on end, or not saying anything to anybody for as long as I can help it, I have perfected a certain death stare to employ when on city transportation. It falls somewhere between, "I am thinking deep and mystical thoughts.", and "If we make skin to skin contact you will die a horrible, painful death.". It is generally effective at keeping others at bay.

I usually sit in the corner or at the edge of any social gathering, though to my consternation there is inevitable that one person that thinks they are going to help/save me by coming over to say something like, "Are you ok?", or, "What's the matter?". And I must always come up with some lame excuse like, "I'm just a bit tired.", or, "I'm just not feeling well.".

I like to be with two friends or more(when I am forced to be with friends) because that usually means that I can sit and say/do nothing, and they won't get offended because they have each other to be entertained by. Of course this also means that I don't get to have any conversation, but I'm generally ok with that.

I still don't know my roommate's name. Though to be fair he only moved in two weeks ago. :kitteh:

I have a total of three friends in real life, and I only really ever talk to one of them. I have over 100 internet friends, and I talk to almost all of them on a daily basis. (One of my internet friends is moving to my city in December, and I'm afraid she's going to expect me to talk to her irl. :shocked: I'm scared.)

My mom is the only person that I talk to on the phone.

I get nervous when people PM me on PerC. And I have no idea why.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
There was this birthday party I went to a while ago with around 30 people. I spent the whole night quietly sitting on a couch in the corner without talking to anyone. I didn't have bad time, but in the morning when we were leaving someone said to me that I looked and behaved like the "definition of depression".

I guess it is pointless to say that this made me burst in laughter after which I went home xD

·
Registered
381 Posts
I forget reality exists often. Sometimes, when I remember it does, I will pause and say with a faint smile ''Ah, that's right...'' as if I was filled with amusement each time.
I'm quoting because relate level over 9000.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
When I was in school, during a Philosophy course I took, the instructorfor whatever reasonregularly requested that the class separate into groups in order to discuss the reading material. The first time this was supposed to happen, groups of students were beginning to form, but I remained in my seat. This prompted the person seated in front of me to turn around and ask if I was in their group, to which I replied: "I don't do group work." He responded with a perplexed "what?" I repeated myself, he turned back around, and that effectively set the precedent for the remainder of the semester. A similar situation occurred in a Psychology class I was enrolled in. At the beginning of the semester, the class was informed of a term paper, which was to be completed in groups of five or six and presented at the end of the course. I had originally intended to contribute to the project, but whenever there would be a scheduled meeting time to work on the assignment, I would think to myself, "do I really want to go out and be around other people? lolnope." I decided to contact the professor and requested to work on a term paper of my own. He inquired as to why, and I told him my excessive introversion prevented me from contributing to the assignment. He then proposed that I write a paper about this introversion of mine. In another Psychology course, during the first class, there was some obligatory little 'lets-get-to-know-each-other' session. Then, we had to compose a paragraph about this experience, along with the overall impression and expectations of the course as a whole. I wrote that I thought most of the class belonged in ovens, that I wasn't there to expand my social horizons, and so I thought being required to interact with these people was superfluous and ultimately detrimental to my main goalwhich was to learn. I also took issue with one of the class rules; namely, the requirement to refrain from speaking or acting in a derogatory manner towards others. I pointed out that having to comply with this rule would necessitate that I treat myself in a derogatory manner by hiding who I am out of some ridiculous notion that I should be ashamed of my thoughts.

I haven't left my house for the purpose of interacting with another human in years. Part of the reason why I'm nocturnal is to avoid having to speak to my family on the rare occasion when I leave my room. Also, if I do have to leave the house, I will encounter far less people by either doing so extremely early or late in the day. I've gone months where the only person I've spoken to is myself. I ignore the doorbell and the phone when they ring. Regarding the doorbell, even if it's one of my family members, I'll close my curtains and make as little noise as possible, so they're under the impression I'm asleep. No one, other than me, has been in my room for three years. I used to have a job which required me to wear a name tag, but I refused because I didn't want anyone there knowing a single identifiable detail about me.

Do I get a prize now?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts