Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after being an intp for about 2 years the constant self improvement and philosophical depths of thinking and questions i entered a manic state recently and i keep on getting entp with e at 28% and instead of the feeling that i need to improve myself i feel like (a visionary) as stated on the website, my childhood ambitions are back i might be an ambivert what ever that means

what are your thoughts, what happened, any comments or further discussions on this?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Better access to your auxiliary Ne?

Need more data. It is difficult to speculate accurately when all you've told us is that you used to test as INTP and now you test as ENTP.

Reactions: Jetsune Lobos

·
Registered
448 Posts
after being an intp for about 2 years the constant self improvement and philosophical depths of thinking and questions i entered a manic state recently and i keep on getting entp with e at 28% and instead of the feeling that i need to improve myself i feel like (a visionary) as stated on the website, my childhood ambitions are back i might be an ambivert what ever that means

what are your thoughts, what happened, any comments or further discussions on this?
This is no coincidence, the ENTP is the pinnacle of human existence. All self-improvers eventually become ENTP...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I've found that most ENTPs tend to be extroverted as kids, but when they start getting into school age, and especially teenagers, they tend to start over-analyzing social environments which manifests as a kind of social anxiety and makes them come off as introverts. When they get into their college years and beyond they remember "Wait, why do I care about social crap!? Oh, that's right, I don't!" and they become extroverts again. Also intuitives (especially Ne dom types) tend to be rather introspective and since thinkers tend to be less socially motivated than feelers their introspection modes tend to come off even more as introversion than ENFPs especially when they get past their teens. I still test quite frequently as an (borderline) introvert, but IRL I'm very much an extrovert and it shows quite glaringly.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

More data indeed. I could peg you as a flustered teacup at this point.

do people agree with this guy? i'm a bit skeptical of that mate
Something best left ignored. The beautiful construct that is Ne produces an alarming amount of waste around these parts.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I think it's more likely you were always one type and didn't know it, than you "morphed" into another type. This is speculation though, and there are plenty of theories that say your personality can indeed change.

As you grow, you'll get closer and closer to figuring out your "true self," so long as you keep striving to. (And I don't necessarily mean your "true type.")

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
I've found that most ENTPs tend to be extroverted as kids, but when they start getting into school age, and especially teenagers, they tend to start over-analyzing social environments which manifests as a kind of social anxiety and makes them come off as introverts. When they get into their college years and beyond they remember "Wait, why do I care about social crap!? Oh, that's right, I don't!" and they become extroverts again. Also intuitives (especially Ne dom types) tend to be rather introspective and since thinkers tend to be less socially motivated than feelers their introspection modes tend to come off even more as introversion than ENFPs especially when they get past their teens. I still test quite frequently as an (borderline) introvert, but IRL I'm very much an extrovert and it shows quite glaringly.
That's the major resaon l knew l wasn't INTP, even though l've never tested as an extrovert.

l'm not sure why people think we're so clueless socially but in an ironic way, that hyper awareness can lead to behaviors that suggest as much :laughing:

·
Registered
523 Posts
There are a large number of ENTPs who think they are INTPs. This is because many of us appear to be "introverted" in the conventional sense. I kinda fluctuate between looking like an E and an I, usually I look like an E though. There are some some ENTPs out there though that most people would never think were extroverts. The easiest way to tell, in my opinion, is comparing inferior functions. Is your inferior function Fe(INTP), or is it Si(ENTP)?

·
Registered
448 Posts
do people agree with this guy? i'm a bit skeptical of that mate
It's true, here is the evidence:

No serious, ENTP have four best letters: E = capable of expressing and asserting themselves , N = sixth sense , T = more rational than F , P = laid back, unaffected by drama, does not jump to harsh conclusions and more fun to be around.

Only idiots do not want to be ENTP

·
Registered
506 Posts
Our school made us take the mbti test in grade 11 and I tested as a hardcore INTP. It was when I first got into all this jazz. I forgot about it and then somehow I got into it again in my second year of college and now I totally identify with being ENTP. So yeah take this with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Our school made us take the mbti test in grade 11 and I tested as a hardcore INTP. It was when I first got into all this jazz. I forgot about it and then somehow I got into it again in my second year of college and now I totally identify with being ENTP. So yeah take this with a grain of salt.
An easy way to test if you're an ENTP or INTP outside the E/I factor is this:

Do you lead with logic, or with intuition? ENTP values creativity and spontaneouity over hard and deep introspective thought. Logic is more like a sidekick for the ENTP, but is the leading man for the INTP.

ENTP also is far more likely to have a million different interests, a jack-of-all-trades renaissance kind of personality. Long focus on one topic is likely to bore the ENTP. The INTP on the other hand is not so put off by details. If the topic is interesting enough, he can keep expanding on it for a long time. Whereas the INTP is more like a vertical thinker, the ENTP is more like an horizontal one. If the INTP is like: "Stay on topic please", the ENTP prefers to derail and go off-topic. In essence, the ENTP is the "troll" archetype. The ENTP is that brilliant student in the back who is more likely to be investing his brilliance in cellphone apps instead of the teacher's course. He is likely to bother/intimidate the teacher with his general attitude of indifference, and his highly infrequent and occasional playing of the devil's advocate. He is likely to be in a completely different state-of-mind than the rest of the classroom (because Ne requires more stimulation, if this is not provided by the teacher, then his mind will quickly venture off), hence the teacher's avoidance of asking the ENTP questions, as she will then first have to use shock-therapy to awaken the ENTP from trance, which over-time becomes as annoying for the teacher as the ENTP.

I'm also never a fan of testing. Testing is so inaccurate and assumptious. All you gotta do is find your primary and secondary function to determine your type.

·
Registered
506 Posts
An easy way to test if you're an ENTP or INTP outside the E/I factor is this:

Do you lead with logic, or with intuition? ENTP values creativity and spontanouity over hard and deep introspective thought. Logic is more like a sidekick for the ENTP, but is the leading man for the INTP.
I think with everything considered, I'm just an introverted ENTP. I might even come off antisocial, but you would definitely spot my Ne a mile away.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Although it was high school, not college for me, but I completely agree.

I think it's because of this: as kids, we first develop our Ne and Ne around like crazy, constantly asking questions and thinking of new stuff and games and making things and similar.

As we grow, Ti starts to show and works as some sort of censorship to our Ne, trying to "truly" analyze stuff and slowing us down. It makes us ask questions about all the conclusions we already made and gives us some self-doubt. We keep that for the rest of our lives, but it eventually grows to open-mindedness instead of being insecure.

And the last, we develop our Fe. Yes, Ne is awesome and makes us quick and witty and airy and stuff, but Fe is the key to our social skills. We start to understand others and social situations with more and more confidence and stop overthinking ourselves. We even start understanding ourselves better, via looking at others. Of course, Ti is still our auxiliary, and still makes us question ourselves, but by this time we gain so much confidence that every questioning is considered self-improvement instead of negative thinking.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yup. My social anxiety has become this annoying little shit in my head going "mehhhh i don't wanna meet new people, what if they don't like me?" and the actual me is going "dude, fuck off. of course they're gonna like me, i'm awesome."

high school was weird.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i'm not sure if there's a pinnacle of human personality that a constantly self-improving person would eventually achieve, but i am pretty sure that people change as they grow and learn and experience.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Although it was high school, not college for me, but I completely agree.

I think it's because of this: as kids, we first develop our Ne and Ne around like crazy, constantly asking questions and thinking of new stuff and games and making things and similar.

As we grow, Ti starts to show and works as some sort of censorship to our Ne, trying to "truly" analyze stuff and slowing us down. It makes us ask questions about all the conclusions we already made and gives us some self-doubt. We keep that for the rest of our lives, but it eventually grows to open-mindedness instead of being insecure.

And the last, we develop our Fe. Yes, Ne is awesome and makes us quick and witty and airy and stuff, but Fe is the key to our social skills. We start to understand others and social situations with more and more confidence and stop overthinking ourselves. We even start understanding ourselves better, via looking at others. Of course, Ti is still our auxiliary, and still makes us question ourselves, but by this time we gain so much confidence that every questioning is considered self-improvement instead of negative thinking.
This this this. I'm going through this now. I've always, for the most part, just intuitively conversed with people and it always seemed to work out. But once I start to analyze it or think about it too consciously, I start to get apprehensive. Adding in the Fe to the mix has complicated this, as it makes it more emotionally taxing for me, leading me to need more time to recharge/reflect. But I find that as I accept and incorporate my Fe better into my thinking, I benefit more from it positively (making a connection with people) and less negatively (what if they don't like me and are just humoring me, wahhhh)

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

A couple decades ago, when I was in middle school, we had a teacher who administered an MBTI test to us. I'm about 90% sure that I tested as an INTP as well and I still test repeatedly as an XNTP (often as an introvert) to this day. I didn't actually get into MBTI until my mid-20s though. Thing is, thinking back to when I was a child (pre-pre-teen years), I never had any problems just walking up to any random stranger and holding a conversation with them and I've never had any kind of stage-freight in my life. It wasn't until my pre-teen years and into my teens that I started actually worrying what others thought of me and therefore becoming more socially reclusive. It doesn't help that, although I get along well enough with most individual people and small groups, when it comes to people in general, I hates them...with a passion. Right around the end of my junior year / beginning of my senior year of high school I had the epiphany "Wait, why should I give a rat's @$$ what other people think of me!? As long as I'm happy with myself, and not a complete @$$hole to everyone else, that's what really matters!" After that every time I started feeling socially anxious I would force myself out of my shell because "the hell if fear and anxiety is going to dictate a [email protected] thing I do!" Ever since then I've never had any problems with social situations. This all brought me to the conclusion that I'm sooo not an introvert, I'm just highly introspective / contemplative, and waaay to analytical for my own good. Ergo ENTP. My Extroversion also shows when you look at the fact that I'm always jumping through a million different things at once and only deal with the specifics and precision when absolutely necessary, right before jumping through a million other things. After talking with other ENTPs on this site, I find that these are all pretty common occurrences amongst us.

i'm not sure if there's a pinnacle of human personality that a constantly self-improving person would eventually achieve, but i am pretty sure that people change as they grow and learn and experience.
The pinnacle of human personality is XXXX - a 50/50 balance between each of the four scales. I'm personally pretty close to balanced on the I/E scale (always have kinda been), and the military really helped me balance out on the P/J scale, but I think I'm far too "schizotypal" (for lack of a better term) to be balanced on the N/S scale, and waaay to logically minded to ever be a proper balance on the T/F scale. I like ENTPs, we make things interesting, but I'm sure glad that there's not more of us around. If I had to deal with more people like me on a regular basis, I wouldn't trust anybody for anything, anywhere, anytime.

People do and don't change with time. I like Keirsey's take on nature vs. nurture. People will always think the same way they've always thought (nature) and that never really changes. They might be more introverted at time and more extroverted at time, but no matter how outgoing the may be an introvert will never be an extrovert and visa versa. Likewise an intuitive can be down to earth and a sensor can get lost in the clouds, a thinker may get emotional at times and a feeler can be logical, a perceiver can get organized and judgers can be impulsive, but they will never really change their type. A rational will always be a rational and a guardian will always be a guardian (baring any major psychological damage or major head injury). What does change is how we incorporate the external with our internal selves. We may act different depending on our environment, experience and education. We learn and grow from our life experiences, or at least we should, and that changes who we are even though we remain the same person we've always been. Or at least that my $0.02 on the matter.

Reactions: dwype
1 - 19 of 19 Posts