Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
ENTP 7w8
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I was instagram when I stumbled across this physics/logic riddle. The riddle is:

Two cannonballs, both perfectly spherical and made of the same material, are dropped out of an airplane. When dropped, their bottom edges are at the same height. One cannonball has twice the diameter of the other. Which one will hit the ground first?⁠

Hint: Do not ignore the drag force from the air.⁠

A. The larger ball⁠
B. The smaller ball⁠
C. They will hit at the same time⁠

Anyway, obviously this riddle captured my attention and I decided to share it on my story as a poll. Also, I shared that my hypothesis was A. And many people voted, but, all the physics majors messaged me saying that I was wrong and B is the answer. Of course, this motivated me to make a 17 slide argument for answer A on my story. And my argument actually convinced all the physicists that I was right... except for one. He still claimed I was wrong. So I made this video and shared it with everyone:

http://instagr.am/p/CDhsdH7HsPb/

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
I know you are just being cheekily ENTP. But anyway.

There is formula on how to calculate terminal velocity of things dropped in air. Mass and projected area do matters but first, how big is big and how small is small. And because mass matter then what kind of metal are we talking here since they have varied mass density.

There, you can answer it yourself.

·
Registered
ENTP 7w8
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know you are just being cheekily ENTP. But anyway.

There is formula on how to calculate terminal velocity of things dropped in air. Mass and projected area do matters but first, how big is big and how small is small. And because mass matter then what kind of metal are we talking here since they have varied mass density.

There, you can answer it yourself.
The funny thing is that I didn’t even know the formula and the physics people were the ones telling me about it. But somehow they were still wrong and somehow I ended up being correct.

And the “big ball” is only “twice the diameter” of the “small ball” so my example is obviously an exegerated extreme case but the the result should still be the same, even if it’s not as pronounced and obvious.

But yeah, as an ENTP I could not resist the chance to both win the debate and turn it into a joke for all to see. As the 16 personality website says:

“Debaters are the ultimate devil’s advocate, thriving on the process of shredding arguments and beliefs and letting the ribbons drift in the wind for all to see.” They did not lie.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It depends on how you view the question. If we only consider the intended purpose, sure both reach the ground at the same time. However, in physics, usually the height is considered with centre of mass in terms of distance. So using that way of interpreting things, larger ball with literally touch the ground first.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
But yeah, as an ENTP I could not resist the chance to both win the debate and turn it into a joke for all to see. As the 16 personality website says:

“Debaters are the ultimate devil’s advocate, thriving on the process of shredding arguments and beliefs and letting the ribbons drift in the wind for all to see.” They did not lie.
Well, i always enjoy my time debating with ENTPs. As long as they knew when to stop beeing cheeky and admit the discussion/debate already over an hour ago. Some do not know when to stop. LoL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts