Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the department head calls staff together for a meeting, there are 8 on staff and each has a different dominant function. The department head announces that the CEO, who is away on his honeymoon, a 3-week tour of Italy and Switzerland, announced before he left that there will be a major reorganization among top management, with possible "streamlining" of positions. No more details at the time. The department head, who is usually in a jovial mood, is very curt and keeps his "poker face" on.

Here are the reactions:
Te -- Says out loud, "Of course, management has to cut costs because we fell behind our competitor this past year"
Ti -- thinks to himself, "no, there is another reason for this; there are at least a dozen ways we could save a lot of money and increase revenue right now and they don't require any lay offs."
Fe -- Knows CEO's new wife from their local country club, and that the new wife very much dislikes and disapproves of a couple of the top managers & their spouses because of their differing political views, and concludes that "hubby" is going to demote or get rid of the guys who don't fit in with their social set. The Fe also sees nothing wrong with this. She doesn't say this aloud but gossips later with her Si assistant.
Fi -- gets angry inside, figuring the "little guys" will be the ones who pay and get laid off while the CEO spends tens of thousands of dollars on his honeymoon
Ne -- concludes that this is not good news for some people, but his own job is safe because he is the only one who has mastered the new department software system; that, in fact, this might provide a great opportunity for him to jump to a newly reorganized department into a higher position
Ni -- starts picturing what their particular industry is going to look like in a few years, with this downsizing as another piece of the puzzle, and pictures a map of the world with shifting lines of economic, political, etc. connections, etc., realizes he should learn Chinese asap.
Se -- is bored during meeting and thinking of what kind of coffee he is going to order from Starbucks
Si -- goes into an internal panic and is sure she will get laid off, the idea of everything changing upsets her and makes her think the worst

I am probably WAY OFF on some of these! There are also implied secondary functions here (the Si is pretty much an ISFJ, for example.) Just want to see if I am getting something right. Ni is very mysterious to me! I have experienced it a few times and that is exactly how it felt, not like something I controlled and used, but like a wonderful flash of insight that was given to me.

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,836 Posts
It wasn't so bad.
But you see, it isn't about usage so much as preference.

Like as Fi doms we both identify with information on internal feeling level.
But when we look outwards we are relating to two totally different objective views.
As an ISFP I'm relating to Se, but as an INFP you are relating to Ne.
So your Fi is having to deal with much bigger picture issues than my Fi.
Hence the idealism of INFPs, the big picture seems more objectively real.
But for an ISFP Se is the name of the game.
Only things within reach of the senses are objectively real.
Hence the "hedonistic" flair to Se "relaters".

(You always relate to the object you never use it, and you experience the subjective view)

When we flip it an INFP experiences their senses (Si) as a personal thing that gets reinforced over time.
An ISFP experience the big picture (Ni) as a personal "vision".
Since it is subjective it isn't really pushed on others or viewed as some objective truth.
Unlike Se or Ne.
That shit is real. :p
Unfortunatly Se and Ne don't recognice each others truths, viewing the other party as "crazy", "shortsighted" etc.

·
Registered
255 Posts
hm well that might be a good example of Te not sure, but what I am sure of is that they (ESTJ, ENTJ) is going to be thinking "oh fuck" because history has shown project managers are the first to get cut >;)

as for Ni, Id be thinking "heh cuts", & then "well I'm safe, they're screwed with out me", then I'd be thinking of all the possible people who are about to get canned which that part is a good example of Ni/Te mix because having vision / guessing who's going to get canned and then finding facts in the real world to justify your own ideas is how that thought pattern works. Obviously going to be very different for Ni/Fe. I'd at least be thinking that before i start picturing how it's going to effect the company and what it's future holds. If the future is bleak I'm going for a higher paying job somewhere else doing the same thing :p

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Ti -- thinks to himself, "no, there is another reason for this; there are at least a dozen ways we could save a lot of money and increase revenue right now and they don't require any lay offs."

Ni -- starts picturing what their particular industry is going to look like in a few years, with this downsizing as another piece of the puzzle, and pictures a map of the world with shifting lines of economic, political, etc. connections, etc., realizes he should learn Chinese asap.

Si -- goes into an internal panic and is sure she will get laid off, the idea of everything changing upsets her and makes her think the worst
These are the ones I most related to.

Reactions: VioletIris

·
Registered
150 Posts
The department head announces that the CEO, who is away on his honeymoon, a 3-week tour of Italy and Switzerland, announced before he left that there will be a major reorganization among top management, with possible "streamlining" of positions. No more details at the time.
This is the stupidest CEO possible. He announces a major news event which will affect the company in a major way, gives a very general description with no specific details or reasons why this is happening, and then runs away on a honeymoon, thus preventing anyone from asking questions and leaving everyone in anxiety and paranoia over the stability of their jobs.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
So the department head calls staff together for a meeting, there are 8 on staff and each has a different dominant function. The department head announces that the CEO, who is away on his honeymoon, a 3-week tour of Italy and Switzerland, announced before he left that there will be a major reorganization among top management, with possible "streamlining" of positions. No more details at the time. The department head, who is usually in a jovial mood, is very curt and keeps his "poker face" on.

Here are the reactions:
Te -- Says out loud, "Of course, management has to cut costs because we fell behind our competitor this past year"
Fe -- Knows CEO's new wife from their local country club, and that the new wife very much dislikes and disapproves of a couple of the top managers & their spouses because of their differing political views, and concludes that "hubby" is going to demote or get rid of the guys who don't fit in with their social set. The Fe also sees nothing wrong with this. She doesn't say this aloud but gossips later with her Si assistant.
Fi -- gets angry inside, figuring the "little guys" will be the ones who pay and get laid off while the CEO spends tens of thousands of dollars on his honeymoon
Ne -- concludes that this is not good news for some people, but his own job is safe because he is the only one who has mastered the new department software system; that, in fact, this might provide a great opportunity for him to jump to a newly reorganized department into a higher position
Se -- is bored during meeting and thinking of what kind of coffee he is going to order from Starbucks

I am probably WAY OFF on some of these! There are also implied secondary functions here (the Si is pretty much an ISFJ, for example.) Just want to see if I am getting something right. Ni is very mysterious to me! I have experienced it a few times and that is exactly how it felt, not like something I controlled and used, but like a wonderful flash of insight that was given to me.
My reaction is that I am the CEO in this situation, taking the easy way out and letting the dust settle when I'm gone... the incentives are in place to keep the company running and the employees invested. Execute vacation where I can comfortably contemplate the effects. I expect to come back to a mess... I will have pleasure watching them clean it up and redesigning the company to expand my sense of personal efficiency(aka laziness).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hm well that might be a good example of Te not sure, but what I am sure of is that they (ESTJ, ENTJ) is going to be thinking "oh fuck" because history has shown project managers are the first to get cut >;)
That's what I would expect an ISTJ to think as well.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

Here are the reactions:

I would swap a few around...
I think Ni rather than Ti would immediately be looking for the hidden reason.
Se is more likely to be 'present' at the meeting and not off at starbucks.. Ne might be the bored and thinking about that.

·
Registered
503 Posts
They are both me.

But Ne is wrong thinking a CEO is able or interested to evaluate who is essential and who is not. CEOs have usually already a lot of money.

Ni is more correct, besides, "after this meeting I am going to wipe my hard drive. The rules say I can not delete company source code, but the rules say nothing about emails, my notes and my schemes about projects. If someone is going to replace me, they will not have any help from me."

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's what I would expect an ISTJ to think as well.
ah, I agree. I use to contemplate if I was an ISTJ who just couldn't remember mundane details like what year it is or my address. It's funny how much I look to the past to predict the future. There's got to be some Si in there somewhere :p Although I guess in that example I wasn't looking to the past since I've never worked in an environment with project managers. I helped build a small company to a medium sized company and we decided to just not higher any project managers.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Te + Ni - Starts planning hostile takeover of the company.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Fi-dom train of thought

During the meeting: Nods along, thinking "Nothing will happen to me, I'm a loyal worker for this company. I have good intentions, and that's the only real thing that matters in the end."

On way home after the meeting: "I feel tired right now. This meeting was really exhausting. If I have good intentions, I should be always feeling secure for my position. What is happening?"

On the doorstep of the home: "It's possible they will fire me. I may bear good intention, but I am not as ambitious as this other guy who just got promoted. What if they value ambition and competence over optimism and enthusiasm?"

In living room, crashing on sofa: "That's it. Because of feeling insecure about my position, I have to totally consider the opportunity of getting fired. When they do this, it means they will not appreciate my hard work. This company is just another bunch of mindless capitalists at business, not valuing anything I have done for them. How can they be so heartless? What is wrong with them?"

Friend writes on facebook "hey 'sup brah", Fi-dom answers: "I hate my job. They are gonna fire somebody. This is such a stupid company. Can you believe that?"

On next day, Fi-dom hears on a meeting that somebody else was fired instead.

Tomorrow, the friend will hear from Fi-dom saying: "I love my job. They didn't fire me. I love this company. So awesome!!!"

And this is the story of how the friend thinks to this day that all Fi-doms are crazy.

·
Registered
477 Posts
NI + Fe = what is the hidden motive , i should digg in the past in order to find the pattern, and then deduce how it has grow until now. Then , feel the impact on the emotional environnement of the company , then try to figure out what will be the company from now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts