Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 1072 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through the INTJ subforum, when, to my astonishment, I stumbled across something interesting and worthwhile. (don't take the preceding seriously; I needed a strong hook)

A thread in which excerpts from the daily lives of INTJs are shared; excerpts in the form of conversation.

So, I decided to make a thread in which the same is done with INTPs. A thread devoted to the underlying themes of our interactions with other homo sapiens. A thread devoted to the underlying themes of these themes, and even to the underlying themes of those themes, and the relations that these metathemes and metametathemes bear to other themes and metathemes. A thread whose centerpiece is the sharing and consideration of—

Fine, I'll speed it up a notch. Post bits and pieces of your daily conversations. You may or may not dis-dissemble the Myers-Briggs type of those with whom you conversed; such is optional.

Have fun! Or don't; I don't really care. Do whatever you want, so long as it's legal. Actually, I don't care if it's legal. Regardless, you're the one who's getting busted; not me. So long as you don't frame me for—

What I meant was, have fun.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Start of conversation between my friends about the plan for my "future" wedding:

Friend 1- "You should have a lettuce (pronounced 'let-tuce') wedding! with a wedding dress made out of let-tuce leaves and a broccoli bouquet!"

Friend 2- "Yeah! and your cake can be made out of three let-tuces stacked on top of eachother!"

Friend 1- "with little brussel sprouts on top with smileys, then down the bottom you could write 'You are my sprout in shining armor'"

When I tune back in 10 minutes later:

Friend 1- "Come to us... it is time for you to go *said menacingly*"

Friend 2- "No! pwease! It only started as a joke! All I was doing was stroking the let-tuce, I didn't mean to let it go that far! It's too soon for me to become a let-tuce!!"

.... I don't even know anymore...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
(Very different than @JPS 's)

Scene: The very edge of my neighbourhood, approx. 3:46pm. Crossing the street.

ME: (smiles at crossing guard) Thank you!

(utter silence
)

My goal for the last 6 months has been to elicit a response from the most statue-like person I have ever seen. It's kind of fascinating. I might've seen a twinkle in his eye once.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My goal for the last 6 months has been to elicit a response from the most statue-like person I have ever seen. It's kind of fascinating. I might've seen a twinkle in his eye once.
He might just be the archetypal misanthropic blue collar worker. Or he could have paralysis.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
(Very different than @JPS 's)

Scene: The very edge of my neighbourhood, approx. 3:46pm. Crossing the street.

ME: (smiles at crossing guard) Thank you!

(utter silence
)

This reminds me of the time I tried one of the Dale Carnegie techniques. You're supposed to use the first name of a busser, salesperson, waiter, and so on, in a conversation. I went up to a random guy who was counting all these people walking onto a ferry. He seemed like he hated his life. When it was my turn to board, he didn't expect anything, so I said, "Thank you Jack" and looked at him in the eyes. He broke out of his mundane counting spell and looked at me in astonishment. Then he mumbled thanks and kept counting. When I returned later, he saw me, smiled widely, and welcomed me in a friendly way. He was completely different than before.

·
Registered
794 Posts
This reminds me of the time I tried one of the Dale Carnegie techniques. You're supposed to use the first name of a busser, salesperson, waiter, and so on, in a conversation. I went up to a random guy who was counting all these people walking onto a ferry. He seemed like he hated his life. When it was my turn to board, he didn't expect anything, so I said, "Thank you Jack" and looked at him in the eyes. He broke out of his mundane counting spell and looked at me in astonishment. Then he mumbled thanks and kept counting. When I returned later, he saw me, smiled widely, and welcomed me in a friendly way. He was completely different than before.
Must do this. Must...embrace...the feels.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
He might just be the archetypal misanthropic blue collar worker. Or he could have paralysis.
Shush. Don't kill the mystique.
(It's very likely that he just doesn't speak much English. My city has a lot of immigrants.)

Gotta love manipulating people. =DD
Dale Carnegie is a master.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Scene: Back to school after break or weekend. Approx 8:22am. Salutations!

ISTP: What's up?
Me: Depends on your coordinate system.
(Both chuckle)

Me: So, what did you do this weekend?
ISTP: Aside from your mom, not much.
Me: Cool.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My mother (ExFP): Are we gonna make smashed potatoes? (at this point she is in the hallway)
Me: What about those beans we are making? (The whole pot of beans was already boiling, we never make side dish with pot of beans)

My mother: Oh! omg! No, not potatoes!
Me: /puts down a smartphone/ o.0
Mother: Well... (5 seconds later) You know what I mean...(at this point she is already in another room, I can't see her)

0,7 seconds after her last sentence, mother: Oh! You know what we should buy?!
Me: (omfg..she is doing it again!)
Mother: We should buy some soil for flowers. (flowers obviously refocused her from potato-thought)
Me: ._o
Mother: No, not soil. Pots! We need bigger flower pots.
Me: .-. /grabs back smartphone/

it's like that, everyday :sad:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Me (picking up the phone): Hello?
ESFJ mother: Hi dear, how are you?
Me: Alright. Uh... you?
Mom: That's wonderful. I'm good, but I'm so tired. I'm just on my way back from work, and it was really busy today. Wednesdays are always really busy because that's the day the...
Me: Yuh, that's nice, okay, bye. (hangs up)
Mom: (continues talking)

That annoying, extroverted, pretentiously intellectual twit of a classmate: So, how was the math test?
Me: Eh...
Her: It was sooooo easy. I don't even study. I don't know why they don't just move me up a grade. I bet I could even beat you, even if you are so smart! We should do a contest to see who's actually smarter. Well, take care! (walks away)
Me: (to her back) I will write my university application in your blood. Mark my words.

Me: (rambling) It's annoying and unsolvable...
IxFP friend: (jokingly) You're annoying and unsolvable.
Me: Your face is annoying and unsolvable.
IxFP: At least I can call it a face.
Me: ...I admit defeat in this verbal sally of wit.
IxFP: Your mom admits defeat in this-
Me: Oh fuck you.

Me: Why... is the sky blue/are trees so tall/do murderers leave their weapons at the crime scene/should I use my wrist in badminton but my arm in tennis?
ISTJ father: Because I say so.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This reminds me of the time I tried one of the Dale Carnegie techniques. You're supposed to use the first name of a busser, salesperson, waiter, and so on, in a conversation. ...
Gotta love manipulating people. =DD
Dale Carnegie is a master.
Social magnetism; how does it work!?

I mean, I know how and why this is supposed to work, but this always seems overly familiar to me, and my reaction has usually been something like, "I'm sorry, do I know you?" or maybe, "You seem to know me, what do you want?" if I had to acknowledge the first name basis thing.

I hated having random people calling me by my first name when I worked 'name tag' jobs. So some of us mixed up our name tags, which worked fine, until some customers took offense and complained to the manager. The entire time I was being dressed down about it, all I could think was, "Would we still be having this conversation if my name really was 'Chester'? <sigh> Probably."

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bloke at work: So did you know that if the earth was just 1 foot closer to the sun we would all burn

Me: No we wouldn't

Bloke at work: Yes its true!

Me: No its not, the earth has an elliptical orbit which means the earths distance from the sun varies by about a million miles or so every year, the atmosphere has a much bigger impact on the temprature we experience here on earth.

Bloke at work: Yeah that's what i meant...

:laughing:

Best mate: Hey kev

Me:......

Best mate: Hey kev

Me:.......

Best mate:Oi ignorant (insert foul word).

Me: What ?!?!

Best mate: Your so ignorant

Me: I was thinking about sommat, shut the hell up!

:happy:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Teenage boy comes to the door, selling magazines: "Hi there. I was just in the neighborhood…"

Ophilia: "I'm not buying any magazines."

TB: "Don't you want to help a kid go to Europe?"

O: "No, not really."

TB: "…"

O: "But someone else might. Good luck with that. I'm going to close the door now."

----

And, I'm referring to myself in third person partly for ease in identifying the participants in case anyone quotes me, but mostly just for the excuse to refer to myself in third person, even if I am using a silly nom de forum. Yay, metacontext! :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Letters that fucking suck:

• R - It should be a vowel. Native English speakers don't roll it, at least not the important ones, and many barely ever pronounce it.

• W - Also a vowel. It's a fucking U. It's in the name. "DOUBLE U". It's a U with doubled emphasis.
Actually, shouldn't even be a letter. Just use one U. Don't be greedy.

• Y - ALWAYS a vowel. I feel the same calling this a consonant as I do with R's, but only sometimes!

• C - It shouldn't exist, unless you're going to use it strictly for the 'ch' sound, in which case, the H can be omitted in all scenarios, but then we'd probably have to come up with a single letter for 'sh' just to be consistent, because we all know how well the English language is known for its SUPERB consistency.

• G - No soft G's. Those are J's, dammit!

• Q - I shouldn't even have to explain this one.

• X - KS or Z. It's that fucking simple! Just use one.

• EVERY SILENT CONSONANT EVER.

• I considered H as a consonant-vowel convert, but that brings too many other letters and sounds into question.

I propose:
-W is omitted and we now use regular U's.
-R and Y are vowels... ALWAYS.
-Y is no longer used to replace other vowels, unless it's at the very end of a word. It will not be omitted and replaced with the letter I, because that would give too much satisfaction to the kids on the internet who use obnoxiously improper spelling as some sort of fashion statement.
-Make C strictly for the 'ch' sound and make CH (spelling) strictly for the 'sh' sound. Completely omit SH as a letter combination.
-As a more complex, yet much more logical alternative to the previous, omit the letter C, make the 'ch' sound with TH, make the 'th' sound with DH, and stop using DH (and KH) to spell foreign names.
- Q is omitted. Replaced with K.
- Soft G's become J's, and X's become KS or Z, respectively.
- No more pointlessly silent consonants. There are easier ways of spelling 'coughing' and 'knight'.
- JH also becomes standard for the soft J sound.

My (ESFJ) best friend's reply: " 'A raisin' would become 'an raisin' ".
I've been trumped.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Letters that fucking suck:

• R - It should be a vowel. Native English speakers don't roll it, at least not the important ones, and many barely ever pronounce it.

• W - Also a vowel. It's a fucking U. It's in the name. "DOUBLE U". It's a U with doubled emphasis.
Actually, shouldn't even be a letter. Just use one U. Don't be greedy.

• Y - ALWAYS a vowel. I feel the same calling this a consonant as I do with R's, but only sometimes!

• C - It shouldn't exist, unless you're going to use it strictly for the 'ch' sound, in which case, the H can be omitted in all scenarios, but then we'd probably have to come up with a single letter for 'sh' just to be consistent, because we all know how well the English language is known for its SUPERB consistency.

• G - No soft G's. Those are J's, dammit!

• Q - I shouldn't even have to explain this one.

• X - KS or Z. It's that fucking simple! Just use one.

• EVERY SILENT CONSONANT EVER.

• I considered H as a consonant-vowel convert, but that brings too many other letters and sounds into question.

I propose:
-W is omitted and we now use regular U's.
-R and Y are vowels... ALWAYS.
-Y is no longer used to replace other vowels, unless it's at the very end of a word. It will not be omitted and replaced with the letter I, because that would give too much satisfaction to the kids on the internet who use obnoxiously improper spelling as some sort of fashion statement.
-Make C strictly for the 'ch' sound and make CH (spelling) strictly for the 'sh' sound. Completely omit SH as a letter combination.
-As a more complex, yet much more logical alternative to the previous, omit the letter C, make the 'ch' sound with TH, make the 'th' sound with DH, and stop using DH (and KH) to spell foreign names.
- Q is omitted. Replaced with K.
- Soft G's become J's, and X's become KS or Z, respectively.
- No more pointlessly silent consonants. There are easier ways of spelling 'coughing' and 'knight'.
- JH also becomes standard for the soft J sound.

My (ESFJ) best friend's reply: " 'A raisin' would become 'an raisin' ".
I've been trumped.
The thing with the W is that it makes a different noise than U. If you want to get rid of W then it's hypocritical to come up with a letter for "sh"

1 - 20 of 1072 Posts