Personality Cafe banner

1861 - 1880 of 3967 Posts

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I see. Well, pet peeves certainly aren't always logical.
when people do it to me i turn stabby extremely quickly. the only reason to keep repeating someone's words and making them confirm what they've already said is the hope that they'll get defensive or demoralized and start second-guessing themselves. in my opinion it's usually a passive-aggressive manipulation from people who don't have the balls to outright contradict or defy you.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
My mum sent me this:
The Greatest Complaint Letter In The World..…Ever!Â*|Â*Cornwall Holiday Guide

Which I found amusing and so sent it to my ESFP friend.

ESFP: They start name calling? Really?
Me: Haha, I found the letter quite funny. They didn't say the employees' names, or shame them, it was more of a light-hearted jab.
ESFP: I find the name-calling suspicious.
Me: Oh?
ESFP: It dehumanises the person.
Me: I think it was to avoid identifying them, while being witty. They didn't want them fired, basically.

Then I realised I was explaining my sense of humour and stopped.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
My mum sent me this:
The Greatest Complaint Letter In The World..…Ever!Â*|Â*Cornwall Holiday Guide

Which I found amusing and so sent it to my ESFP friend.

ESFP: They start name calling? Really?
Me: Haha, I found the letter quite funny. They didn't say the employees' names, or shame them, it was more of a light-hearted jab.
ESFP: I find the name-calling suspicious.
Me: Oh?
ESFP: It dehumanises the person.
Me: I think it was to avoid identifying them, while being witty. They didn't want them fired, basically.

Then I realised I was explaining my sense of humour and stopped.
Wow, I thought it was funny too (especially having dealt and worked with people like they describe, it makes you so despairing).

Reactions: owlet

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
my sister: whatcha knitting?
me: pj's.
her: O_O
me: it's cold here. i like cuddly.
her: ah. colour?
me: well, remember that dr who scarf that i made for the artsie?
her: yes
me: using up all the leftover balls
her: you'll have dr who pyjamas. AWE.
me: hey, i never thought of that. so i will.
her: got any blue?
me: no. yeah, probably, but not the same yarn. why?
her: obviously. you need to knit a tardis.
me: :angry:
her: to sleep in.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
when people do it to me i turn stabby extremely quickly. the only reason to keep repeating someone's words and making them confirm what they've already said is the hope that they'll get defensive or demoralized and start second-guessing themselves. in my opinion it's usually a passive-aggressive manipulation from people who don't have the balls to outright contradict or defy you.
I do this all the time because my hearing isn't great. Also, they teach you to do this in counseling in order to let the other person know you understood them (validation).

I have no issue with this at all, and appreciate that it keeps misunderstandings at a minimum.

Sometimes what I repeat back to my daughter is complete gibberish, especially if she's mumbling, and that's fun also: "So you want me to pick the tab drown the tree? Why?"

Reactions: jeb and lilysocks

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I do this all the time because my hearing isn't great. Also, they teach you to do this in counseling in order to let the other person know you understood them (validation).
it's interesting how much difference even slight tone variations can make. there's one question-asking tone that clearly means it when it implies 'i heard this. yes/no?' and another that clearly doesn't mean it. one is asking whether the hearer's understanding is right, and the other is asking whether the speaker is right.

there are definite times and tones and people where the only thing i feel like saying back is 'stop asking me that. you heard me.'

Reactions: jeb

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
it's interesting how much difference even slight tone variations can make. there's one question-asking tone that clearly means it when it implies 'i heard this. yes/no?' and another that clearly doesn't mean it. one is asking whether the hearer's understanding is right, and the other is asking whether the speaker is right.

there are definite times and tones and people where the only thing i feel like saying back is 'stop asking me that. you heard me.'
You want me to blah blah BLAH?!"

Yes, that's different. Maybe that's what @Orion Felis meant by repeating the question back. I took the statement in more of a clarification way, not in a facetious or obnoxious way.

Reactions: lilysocks

·
Registered
503 Posts
If someone has hearing problems, I am fully capable of understanding this. The people that do it, know they are doing it. They know exactly what you said and they still repeat it. Example number 2

Me: Yeah I need so-in-so.
Person: Okay meet me at my office.

*Enters office*

Me: Do you have those lists?

(Now the response coming from a man who is experienced and trained in knowing exactly what I mean when I say lists)

Person: Oh you mean the list like this? *picks up the list with body language that suggests unfamiliarity with the list, even though he has certain sections highlighted*

*stares at the list knowing this man knows its the list because he's been working in this department and almost every other department for years*

Me: ....Yes, that one is fine.
Person: Oh this one is fine here? *still holding list*

*while still holding the list in his hand*
Me.... Yes *takes list*

*walks out shaking head*

This just happened yesterday/ Conclusion: I have a very strong presence and voice, and when I ask questions, I think the person feels like I'm trying over-power them. So for them to regain their power in this little social 'interaction', they ask these ridiculous questions. When you are the one asking the questions, in some sense you are in power because that person has to answer to you.

From an intellectual view, one could say the person asking the questions is the powerless one because from the intellectuals mentality, knowledge is power... so for the person to ask, it puts him in a position of powerlessness temporarily, that is until he is given the information, and a bit of power is returned. (Off-topic)

·
Jaffa Master
7,575 Posts

I have no issue with this at all, and appreciate that it keeps misunderstandings at a minimum.

Sometimes what I repeat back to my daughter is complete gibberish, especially if she's mumbling, and that's fun also: "So you want me to pick the tab drown the tree? Why?"

Yeah I agree with both of the points here. My jobs over the years have all had confirmation as something that was either necessary or time saving. From military to instruction to having people working for me, confirmation is very important. Tone is certainly important as well. If someone's tone is consistently grating there will be a big problem. I guess this is what I was getting at with my original posts on this. Brevity and the desire to not over explain things leads to as much confusion as not confirming things. :laughing:

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
From an intellectual view, one could say the person asking the questions is the powerless one because from the intellectuals mentality, knowledge is power... so for the person to ask, it puts him in a position of powerlessness
only when the asker actually needs the information. when they don't because they already know what the answer is going to be, it's a pure power move. as you say, it's putting the other person through hoops when there isn't actually a single good reason for it except for the asker to 'prove' that they can make askees jump hoops on their whim. that's why it's such a godless fucking shuck and why my fuse for this kind of shit is so short.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
My husband and I were looking at graphs of the percentage of urban population in various countries.

Me: Haiti has 80 but Djibouti has more pouti.
husband: Hehe.
Me: We'll learn this in no time with my amazing mnemonic. So: So the USA has more than Haiti with its 80, but Djibouti has more pouti than Haiti.
husband: You're looking at the wrong year. That's the projection for 2050.
Me: Crap. Let's start again then.... I bet it's Singapore that's got the highest percentage because it doesn't even have any rural areas.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Forgot my laptop, which had my flight booking code in an e-mail. So I went to the flight desk.

Little case of communication breakdown:

Me: Hi, can you help me find my booking code so I can check in at one of the self check-in screens?
Girl behind check-in desk: What is your booking code?
Me: That's the problem, I don't have it. I do have the flight number.
Her: I'm sorry, the check-in desk is closed, I can't help you check in so you have to find that booking code.
Me: I can't get into my e-mail right now, so what do I do then?
Her: I don't know.

*Silence*

Me: ...If I give you the flight number can you search the system for me?
Her: Yes, but I can only find your booking code.
Me: Ok.
Her: But I can't check you in.
Me: Ok.
Her: *gets number*
Me *checks in at self check-in screen*

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
INTP boss: Ah, I've been doing dull, mindless work all morning.
ENTP boss, gives speech: Dull, mindless tasks without any intellectual challenge... They can sometimes be the most .............................. I've lost my train of thought.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
explanation: the squat rack was taken so i was warming up for back squats using fixed-weight barbells that are stored on a kind of pyramid rack. also, i'm not the world's greatest overhead-press-doer.

me: *brings out 60lb barbell*
random guy, rushing over: here, need some help with that?
me: no, i got it.
guy: *backs off, watches me wrangling the thing overhead and then onto my traps.
guy: o_O
me: i can take it out, see. just some days i'm not sure if i'll get it up.
guy: oh. yeah . . . guess we all know what that's like. *leaves*
*five seconds pass*
me: pskrnnrrkfft!

·
Meh.
8,047 Posts
Me and ISFJ bf can't share the kitchen together. We just can't.

He: [Defrosted fridge and freezer]
Me: Would you like me to help you
He: No that's fine
Me: [Sits down with knitting]
He: [crashing and banging stuff around in the kitchen]
Me: Would you like me to help you
He: Yeah, I guess [starts moving things back into freezer]
Me: [moves something he just put in to a different shelf]
He: OMG WHY DO YOU ALWAYS DO THAT. [angry bla]
Me: So yeah... [back to knitting]

1861 - 1880 of 3967 Posts