Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's summer, and I need something to do to exercise so that I stay in shape and all that jazz.

The problem is... I can walk for *maybe* twenty minutes before I fall down.

It's hard to describe, but I have dystonia and Tourette's, so I get this weird hybrid of dystonic tics where my body parts freeze up or become immobile for sometimes hours at a time. It's okay around the house - I can drag my leg and there's always something to hold onto - but of course this wouldn't be so okay if it happened while I was out walking in the middle of my neighborhood.

Which is really kind of disappointing, because I love taking walks :/

Soon I might get a walker, which could allow me to go on walks (albeit slowly...), but it'll be a little while before I can get that or a wheelchair (we aren't sure which one we should get for me yet).

Does anyone have exercise ideas I can do around the house, possibly while sitting down? I know it's hard to give help when you guys aren't experts on my condition and don't even know much of what I'm describing when I talk about my limitations, but maybe you have sitting exercises laying around anyway? (I mean you would think my mother the Physical Education instructor would be better able to help me with this, but she just told me to "ride my bike" and walked away.)

Reactions: ForsakenMe

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with Vinniebob in that it might be useful to look for some sort of groups. Ask your physical therapist if they have suggestions for excercises and if they know of groups or someone else you could contact who knows about those. There could be excercise or dance groups or classes something like that which would work for your condition.

Other than that, like you said yourself, I can't quite know and understand what you can and can't do. Anyway, pilates being one of my favourite exercises, that's the first thing I thought of. Actually I think it was first developed for rehabilitation. Something I found was for example this:

And I guess in general you can find a lot of sitting exercises for arms/upper body, for sitting down. And pilates then is especially for core strength if you're interested in that. I don't really know what to recommend more specifically there, as I don't know what you can do and what exactly you are interested in doing other than walking.

Yoga might also work to some extent. I think especially Iyengar-yoga is used for rehabilitation as well, so it is often modified for the people doing it. But I really don't know much about that.

And if you like dancing, then why not do your own improv dance every now and then to some nice music. :) No one needs to see. ;)

·
Banned
4,143 Posts
You could try other kinds of movement. For example, some people with Parkinson's can't walk for long but cycle just fine. Maybe it's the same for you. You could look into swimming or cycling. I know some people who do aqua-jogging, it looks strange but it is great if you can't hold your own weight for long (I bet you already tried some of these though.)

·
Registered
456 Posts
You could try other kinds of movement. For example, some people with Parkinson's can't walk for long but cycle just fine. Maybe it's the same for you. You could look into swimming or cycling. I know some people who do aqua-jogging, it looks strange but it is great if you can't hold your own weight for long (I bet you already tried some of these though.)
I agree with this. Like I probably actually do the breaststroke kick somehow wrong, as in recent years my knees have started to hurt after a while, but aquajogging works for me. It's been quite popular over here for a couple of years now too, but I'm not sure with other countries. Here being Finland. And I just googled aquajogging and found that aquajogging world championships are being held in Finland so the case might be that it's more popular over here. Anyway, how that relates to this is, that over here you can now borrow a aquajogging belt at many pools and in some places they have recerved one lane of the pool specifically for aquajogging. So if you can find a pool like that, it will be pretty easy to just go along with everyone else and blend in, while checking out others' technique at the same time.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for your comments everyone! I really do appreciate the help
@pivot_turn and @Vinniebob if I need a support group for anything I would think it would be my trauma and anxiety... Maybe it's because I'm early on in this, but I'm not too distressed by my walking situation at this point where I think I would benefit too greatly from a support group. If this persists for a few years and I feel sadness about not walking, I might seek out a support group, but at this point I'm just finding it... interesting?

I'll see what my physical therapist says though. Unfortunately I have to go in for all my neurological things to some neurology center across state, and I don't think I have an appointment with them for another month, but when we do go back I'll be open if she recommends a support group. (But I don't know that she will, since if anything I showed Sinna of distress when my Tourette's was severe and she didn't mention support groups about that... but then again, honestly how many Tourette's and dystonia support groups out there can there be.)

Also, Picot, thank you for the video! I might work on that one this week, ha. Thanks for the recommendation.
@stultum we actually have a pool in my backyard, but I hate to use it! I might get over that this summer though. (I was actually on my high school swim team, and it sort of brainwashed me where I get in a pool and don't know what else to do what laps, which isn't all that fun.) Also I'm not exactly sure how my dystonia would act in the pool, when I was little the water would stimulate cramps... But I could wade in the shallow end if I get too inactive, I suppose.

But I'm very familiar with aqua-jogging and those work out pool things, there was a group that always met for that while I was at swim practice. Seemed pretty easy while I was doing my 1000 free, but not sure if it would seem so easy now :)
@Dear Sigmund thank you for recommending the bike as well! I'm not sure yet if biking of any kind would work or not, but I know my great aunt had one of those bikes for physical therapy and we might still have one. I'll keep that in mind!

I was actually going to finish commenting yesterday though... I've found a solution for now. We have a kind of old Wii, and we only have maybe two games, but the games we do have can help me be pretty active I think. There's the Just Dance game, and the regular game it comes with, with boxing and bowling and all that. We have to figure out how to hook it up again, but once my dad gets back from his work trip I should be able to easily use that for exercise.

But I will keep your recommendations in mind, especially this week when I don't have anything to do. Thank you again to each of you for adding your suggestions.

Reactions: pivot_turn

·
Registered
456 Posts
Great that you already found a solution. Wii is probably fun too so you'll be enjoying yourself. :) (I've never tried it so I can only say based on advertising I've seen).

As to groups, I might have been thinking of different kinds of groups than you all. I was thinking more like activity groups for people with some kinds of limitations in mobility. Like dancing or yoga or team sports or something.... There might be some groups like that, though maybe depending on in how big a place you live. And of course it might be a little difficult to find something that works specifically for you. But if you're interested in some sort of group activities then maybe it's worth looking into. Anyway, it seems like you've found some good stuff to do by yourself now and that works for you, so I'll stop talking. (I'm anyway finding it a little difficult to find the right English words for what I mean right now. :p)

·
Spam-I-am
14,076 Posts
the people in the support group might be able to offer suggestion's
when i 1st developed celiacs i went to a support group to find out more
it helped out a lot, i learned more from them then the doctor's
they offer all types of advive

·
Spam-I-am
14,076 Posts
the people in the support group might be able to offer suggestion's
when i 1st developed celiacs i went to a support group to find out more
it helped out a lot, i learned more from them then the doctor's
they offer all types of advive

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
alittlebear said:
she just told me to "ride my bike"
For the refreshing sensation of (some) speed and a constantly changing environment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Or5oi-BzWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-G2uGurP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAulFtXPdpE

van Raam

A. Mat Pilates is certainly the best thing you can do, and as a women you will probably prefer it to bodyweight training anyway.

Pilates Anytime | Online Pilates Classes

If you want to understand the purpose of individual Pilates exercises read “Pilates Anatomy” from Rael Isacowitz, who is also the author of “Pilates”, is an excellent book.

B. The Pilates Roller is a nice toy, preferably the long and more versatile version. You don't need it for the standard mat exercises, but it is nice to sit on it, stretch your legs and roll on it while your arms are on the floor behind it.

C. The Exercise Ball, also known as Pezzi Ball (the sweet-smelling Italian original from Ledragoma) or Swiss Ball. Size matters. Probably the most useful of the toys that I mention here, used by absolute beginners and athletes alike.

If you lie on your back on the ball you should be careful not to fall in the direction of your head and touch a hard surface.

If you are lazy you can even use it as a seat and watch films on it, moving a bit from time to time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_ball
Original Pezzi® Gymnastik Ball

D. The Swing Stick, Flexi-Bar, Vibration Training. In my opinion the most useful toy, together with the exercise ball. Can also be used sitting and lying.

http://www.flexi-bar.com/pdf/Gunsch_Expertise_2008_September_Veroeffentlichung_ EN.pdf
FLEXI-BAR Home

Using the swing stick on a moving platform (a ball or the Gyroboard Health & Fitness) is even more fun and keeps the legs busy.

EverSUCCESS International Inc

E. Fins – for diving, not for swimming

Perhaps your swimming pool is too short for them, but it is fun seeing all the air bubbles and feeling the incredible speed doing almost nothing, lying comfortably on the back as in an armchair.

F. Sling Trainer, Suspension Trainer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrAYPNSOlsU

G. Fitness Blender is always waiting for you:

https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender

Don't waste your time driving to a sports facility or thinking about your next workout. Instead do sports at least 30 minutes a day.

·
Registered
456 Posts
A. Mat Pilates is certainly the best thing you can do, and as a women you will probably prefer it to bodyweight training anyway.

If you want to understand the purpose of individual Pilates exercises read “Pilates Anatomy” from Rael Isacowitz, who is also the author of “Pilates”, is an excellent book.

B. The Pilates Roller is a nice toy, preferably the long and more versatile version. You don't need it for the standard mat exercises, but it is nice to sit on it, stretch your legs and roll on it while your arms are on the floor behind it.

F. Sling Trainer, Suspension Trainer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrAYPNSOlsU

I'm getting addicted to this thread. ;) Interesting stuff. Mainly what caught my eye: "Pilates Anatomy"! It's the best pilates book I've come across. I don't usually get much books about exercising and stuff, but wanted more good info about Pilates and looked through a bunch of books and this is by far my favourite.

And the Pilates Roller. I love my pilates roller! Mostly I massage and stretch my muscles with it, but the long one is really good for a little extra for pilates as well.

And I just had to say that the sling trainer thing looks really cool. Bouncy too! It looks like they're elastic too? I didn't look through the whole video now though. I've tried basic TRX though at the gym, that's a bit similar. It's tough (or can be), but fun!

·
Mastodon Hunter
8,093 Posts
Have you ever considered one of those walking machines or those stationary bikes? You could exercise in your own home and have something to hold onto if you get one of those tics.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
oh @alittlebear sorry to hear that, seems like you have a great approach to it, despite having something like that. i have no answers to these questions though, besides light weight stuff, or doing tension work outs where you tighten/strain your muscles in your arm, legs, and core, for a few minuets on end. that can help as well.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I love doing mat work. I use my entire body weight to do pull ups, ab twists, isometric workouts like the planks, and moving my legs in a certain way to burn the muscles in my hips, thighs, glutes, and so on. The best part is that I don't have to stand or move around like a maniac in order to work up a sweat. :crazy:

Give it a shot! It's amazing how hard but effective mat work can be!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.