Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening ESFJs

With summer on the horizon, I just wondered, out of sheer interest, what do you enjoy for exercise?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I like yoga a lot right now. Nice to relax my mind and slow down a bit. When I was in my 20's I didn't like yoga though and was all about long distance running, spinning class, and other aerobic kind of workouts. I think I chase my kids enough now that I like the peace and quiet of yoga, which is hard to get at home due to their young ages. Haha! One thing I can't stand though is any kind of weight lifting... it's just too "hard" and I'm like ah, whatever... I don't need to be built. Haha!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I like yoga a lot right now. Nice to relax my mind and slow down a bit. When I was in my 20's I didn't like yoga though and was all about long distance running, spinning class, and other aerobic kind of workouts. I think I chase my kids enough now that I like the peace and quiet of yoga, which is hard to get at home due to their young ages. Haha! One thing I can't stand though is any kind of weight lifting... it's just too "hard" and I'm like ah, whatever... I don't need to be built. Haha!
Hey Summer. Ugh I'm sort of with you on the weight lifting. I used to go to the gym regularly and it was free weights I used all the time, mainly because, free weights get results. But ugh, it was the most boring thing. Back in 2014, when I still went regularly, half way through a workout I literally just thought "I'm fed up doing this", left and I've never really got back into it since. I just upped my running and cycling instead.

I admit, while I'm not doing it as regularly as I ought to, stretching and (basic) Yoga is something I've more recently got into. I love running though, but sadly I keep getting calf strain injuries now which, apparently, according to my physio, is related to my lower back (and my legs are just the victims). I've been recommended to get more into Pilates. The problem is, I hate going to gym classes. My aim is set our garage up (which is basically just a storage area) as a home gym so I can do stuff like this in peace (there are tons of good videos on YouTube to follow). Unfortunately, I may have to force myself back to doing weights at the gym on a regular basis to strengthen my lower back if I'm serious about getting back out injury free.

That aside, I also enjoy cycling which I tend to incorporate into my commute to work during the better weather - quite literally "park and ride" haha.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Intj here, muscle building for weight gain.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Hey chelon

Coincidence ... my INTJ friend I've told you about before who also works in a hospital, is also into weight lifting etc for muscle and weight gain.

I used to go to the gym regularly 3 to 4 times a week years back, and it was always free weights too, although I was going more for lean muscle mass rather than weight gain since I was really into running... and, if I'm honest, I wanted to be slim. The great thing about free weights (and provided you eat properly) is the results really show (as no doubt you are aware). Unfortunately, just before I turned 31, I just got bored of going and have never really went back to the gym on a regular basis since. Cycling is my main exercise just now. Running is on hiatus at the moment. I keep getting calf strain injuries which my physio has discovered is related to my lower back not being strong enough. I may unfortunately need to force myself back to the gym on a regular basis if I truly want to fix this - possibly a goal to start on at the end of the summer.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey chelon

Coincidence ... my INTJ friend I've told you about before who also works in a hospital, is also into weight lifting etc for muscle and weight gain.

I used to go to the gym regularly 3 to 4 times a week years back, and it was always free weights too, although I was going more for lean muscle mass rather than weight gain since I was really into running... and, if I'm honest, I wanted to be slim. The great thing about free weights (and provided you eat properly) is the results really show (as no doubt you are aware). Unfortunately, just before I turned 31, I just got bored of going and have never really went back to the gym on a regular basis since. Cycling is my main exercise just now. Running is on hiatus at the moment. I keep getting calf strain injuries which my physio has discovered is related to my lower back not being strong enough. I may unfortunately need to force myself back to the gym on a regular basis if I truly want to fix this - possibly a goal to start on at the end of the summer.
Hi! I did crossfit for 2 years but I needed to gain more weight, so I'm on weight training until now. I follow an exercise routine for mass gaining. I'm an ectomorph, my diet is high on carbs as micronutrient. I occasionally do intermittent fasting to control my abdominal fats. Lol.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi! I did crossfit for 2 years but I needed to gain more weight, so I'm on weight training until now. I follow an exercise routine for mass gaining. I'm an ectomorph, my diet is high on carbs as micronutrient. I occasionally do intermittent fasting to control my abdominal fats. Lol.
My INTJ friend does Crossfit I'm sure and various other gym classes (like Body Pump). I just don't enjoy gym classes, especially busy ones. In the past when I went to the gym regularly (and on the rare occasion these days when I do go), I tend to transform into someone who is fairly unsociable - headphones on and "into the zone" so to speak.

I'm very much an average Mesomorph (and my stomach is in no way toned), and while I don't care much for the BMI scale, I'm bang in the middle of the healthy range for my height. I prefer knowing my body fat percentage which, last time I checked was also 'average'. I use to wish I was an Ectomorph (which I know is illogical given you can't change that aspect). My ISTJ partner is very very much the Ectopmorph with a 28" waist (not so long ago he was 26").

What levels of protein do you take in on that diet?

Diet wise, I've found that the low carb approach works REALLY well for me if I want to strip body fat (and quickly). I know this approach doesn't suit everyone and I know you need to be careful, especially when you start doubling up the protein intake.

The big thing for me now though is trying to figure out how I'm going to resolve this issue with my lower back with regard to running. Its so weird - I don't have any back pains at all, and it's always my calf muscles that keep getting microstrains. I'm a forefoot runner rather than heal striker. I used to be a heal striker and eventually started to suffer the usual issues - shin splints and sore knees - and despite wearing supportive trainers, it never went away. Plus supportive trainers don't resolve the issue, they just hide it. It took me about half a year, but I managed to convert myself to landing on my forefoot by running in the likes of the vibram five fingers (I still love how much these freak people out) and vivo barefoots. Once the conversion was complete, I ran injury free for years and was up to half marathon distances. Then, just all of a sudden, this issue with my calf muscles came on.

Getting old - my uncle warned me against it lol. I suspect working at a desk job behind a computer all day doesn't help.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My INTJ friend does Crossfit I'm sure and various other gym classes (like Body Pump). I just don't enjoy gym classes, especially busy ones. In the past when I went to the gym regularly (and on the rare occasion these days when I do go), I tend to transform into someone who is fairly unsociable - headphones on and "into the zone" so to speak.

I'm very much an average Mesomorph (and my stomach is in no way toned), and while I don't care much for the BMI scale, I'm bang in the middle of the healthy range for my height. I prefer knowing my body fat percentage which, last time I checked was also 'average'. I use to wish I was an Ectomorph (which I know is illogical given you can't change that aspect). My ISTJ partner is very very much the Ectopmorph with a 28" waist (not so long ago he was 26").

What levels of protein do you take in on that diet?

Diet wise, I've found that the low carb approach works REALLY well for me if I want to strip body fat (and quickly). I know this approach doesn't suit everyone and I know you need to be careful, especially when you start doubling up the protein intake.

The big thing for me now though is trying to figure out how I'm going to resolve this issue with my lower back with regard to running. Its so weird - I don't have any back pains at all, and it's always my calf muscles that keep getting microstrains. I'm a forefoot runner rather than heal striker. I used to be a heal striker and eventually started to suffer the usual issues - shin splints and sore knees - and despite wearing supportive trainers, it never went away. Plus supportive trainers don't resolve the issue, they just hide it. It took me about half a year, but I managed to convert myself to landing on my forefoot by running in the likes of the vibram five fingers (I still love how much these freak people out) and vivo barefoots. Once the conversion was complete, I ran injury free for years and was up to half marathon distances. Then, just all of a sudden, this issue with my calf muscles came on.

Getting old - my uncle warned me against it lol. I suspect working at a desk job behind a computer all day doesn't help.
Yeah, I guess it's your body weight that puts strain to your posture and muscles. Try some sports instead or kinesthetic programs. I still think compound trainings like crossfit would do you well to stretch and balance muscle control which reduces strains to over used muscles.

Your description of yourself reminds me of him which I am now battling again for a few days, so I'm not that active online.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still think compound trainings like crossfit would do you well to stretch and balance muscle control which reduces strains to over used muscles.
Yeah my physio would agree, although I'd like to do it without attending a crossfit class i.e. just do my own workouts (with good form). I'll need to find either a balance between cycling and gym OR accept that this will be a goal I start working on later in the year when the weather is back to being too crummy for cycling (I'm basically cycling 5 days a week just now) - shame that won't work the lower back in the meantime.

Your description of yourself reminds me of him....
:unsure:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah my physio would agree, although I'd like to do it without attending a crossfit class i.e. just do my own workouts (with good form). I'll need to find either a balance between cycling and gym OR accept that this will be a goal I start working on later in the year when the weather is back to being too crummy for cycling (I'm basically cycling 5 days a week just now) - shame that won't work the lower back in the meantime.

:unsure:
Air squats would help

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Air squats would help

Weighted squats are actually one of the things I always do during a workout (when I do work out). Granted, not a huge amount of weight (50kg ... so about 110lbs?). Usually 5 sets of 10 reps. I can also confidently say, my form is excellent on these :-D Deadlifts is meant to be another great one, however my form does need improved on these.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Evening ESFJs

With summer on the horizon, I just wondered, out of sheer interest, what do you enjoy for exercise?

I used to do Body Pump and Body Combat for a few years, then switched to Kickboxing. I loved the group exercises, but it never gave me the results I longed for (which was to be toned). I always got thin, but I kept my little belly... This past year or so I have been doing weight lifting at the gym with minor cardio (~20-45 minutes). I work out my major muscle groups section by section and have received the best results from doing so! Diet is a huge factor to this too (probably like 70%). I monitor my caloric intake and watch my macros :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts