Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope im not spamming , or sounding needy or anything of that matter. I am not that sure if this is even in the right section of the forums. However I have noticed that the topic of existential depression/anxiety is something resounded between Info's . I don't know how many of you guys are going through the same thing, but I can barely stand it anymore. I was able to cope with it before because I had it less frequently , but now its almost constant . I cant bare it anymore , and I feel kind of bad for saying this, because I don't usually express myself like this, but I feel like i need help. Its making me feel like I am drowning.

How do you deal with existential depression ?

What can I do ?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I used to be debilitated by existential depression and anxiety. Now I'm an a spot where I feel good about life and I am productive.

Something that helped me was reading about DBT, commitment acceptance therapy (ACT), and REBT.

What helped me the most was setting life goals and working slowly toward them each day. By doing that, my life went from a codependent, chaotic nightmare to some place that's predictable, organized, and pleasurable in about one year. Things aren't perfect right now, but when I look back on how my life used to be, I am amazed by how far I've come.

Original goals have been modified, some have been scrapped, and completely new ones have been added but that doesn't matter. What matters is that each day you are gaining new skills and trying to apply a positive, pragmatic outlook to endeavors. We are all (no matter what type) striving toward being grounded and self-reliant. Be patient with progress and kind to yourself and great things will happen.

·
Registered
820 Posts
What helped me the most was setting life goals and working slowly toward them each day. By doing that, my life went from a codependent, chaotic nightmare to some place that's predictable, organized, and pleasurable in about one year.
I agree. I think INFP's are prone to aspiring to abstract goals but the problem with those is that when you try to reach an abstract goal you have no feedback on how you're actually doing or are you getting any closer to your goal. So I did change my goals to very concrete ones and then made really detailed plans with subgoals so I was aware all the time about my progress. If I seemed to get stuck at some point then I cut that subgoal to even smaller goals which would help me to get onward.

That said, I know INFPs are prone to these bouts of existential depression or anxiety but I don't think that being overly depressed or anxious is a natural state for an INFP. You might be having an actual clinical disorder (based on what you wrote "I can barely stand it anymore. I was able to cope with it before because I had it less frequently , but now its almost constant . I cant bare it anymore -- Its making me feel like I am drowning.") in which case in warmly recommend that you seek some kind of professional help - it might actually help you to feel more like you can cope and less like you're drowning.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
A part of you feels depressed, a part of of you is aware that you feel depressed, correct? They are two separate things, the part that is aware of your depression has the ability to make you feel anything, even happiness. You decide how you feel.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
@turabo40 Answer the existential questions your brain is asking yourself. They are haunting you for a reason. And. If they don't get an answer they will keep on doing so.

You might ask: What's the point of my life? What is the meaning of my existence? Answer them truthfully. If you can't find meaning in your life: add meaning to life. Search your feelings and your dreams. What do you really want to do in life? What are your ambitions? What were your dreams when you were 16? As @WhateverLolaWants (Lola Gets! Sorry...wanted to make that joke for weeks :p) says, set goals! But you have to figure out first what goals you really want to pursue, and that is why you should answer all these existential questions that are running through your mind.

If however you answer the questions and find that there is plenty of meaning in your life already, you could perhaps work on appreciating the things you already have (and have achieved) instead of focusing on the things you have not. Sometimes humans are so busy with the future and so occupied with creating a better future for ourselves, that we do not stop and appreciate the luck & happiness we have in the present moment.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I also deal with bouts of existential depression. At first my only real problem was that I was socially anxious but then my anxiety triggered the onset of depression. Not really being one to recognize the severity of my own problems, I minimized them and did my best to emotional block them out and reserve myself from . . . basically everything. It was then that I was hit with existential depression. I couldn't figure out what was the point in life. I often would come to the conclusion that it was meaningless unless you gave it meaning. But that in itself made me feel hollow and uncomfortable to realize. I had no real motivation in life to even apply meaning to my life. Everything became pointless and I became sickeningly aware of the fact that everyone is living life according to a script.

These feelings would come and go (just like my depression had started out as at first, before eventually it just stayed). The last "episode" if you will, I had was about the beginning of September last year. I was minding my own business on campus in the student library when I was hit with this really strong feeling of dissociation from reality and myself. I suddenly became aware of how numb I had made myself to cope and how my problems had grown and I was not okay. I became anxious and couldn't figure out how long I'd stay in this state of awareness before I slipped back into autopilot or if I should even worried in the first place. I couldn't understand why I was continuing school. Why I wanted to go to graduate school. Why I got up and did the same thing everyday, day in and day out but still felt miserable and found no enjoyment in life. I couldn't understand why anybody did anything and I realized suicide was looking like a more acceptable and logical opinion. But with that thought came the sickening realization that I was strongly attached emotionally to my mother and I couldn't do that to her. I became aware that if it wasn't for her, I'd probably die and that everything I was doing, I was doing for her. I wasn't living for myself. And that upset me, but then again a lot of things made me upset and I could find this situation to be no different. I felt stuck and without much opinions.

In a last attempt to try and gain some motivation that I knew I couldn't achieve on my own, I sought out the psychological counseling services provided on my campus. The existential episode eventually passed, but my regular depression lingered. I'm still going to counseling weekly. And we're taking baby steps. I've been on zoloft for about two months now. I can't say that I've really found any answers to my questions or that I'm more optimistic now. But I haven't had a really bad existential episode since, and for right now that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hope im not spamming , or sounding needy or anything of that matter. I am not that sure if this is even in the right section of the forums. However I have noticed that the topic of existential depression/anxiety is something resounded between Info's . I don't know how many of you guys are going through the same thing, but I can barely stand it anymore. I was able to cope with it before because I had it less frequently , but now its almost constant . I cant bare it anymore , and I feel kind of bad for saying this, because I don't usually express myself like this, but I feel like i need help. Its making me feel like I am drowning.

What can I do ?
You know what bro your not alone. I would suggest practicing having more compassion for yourself. Remeber your only human.. Have a look at what needs you as an individual arnt meeting and start slowly finding ways to meet them. There's no magical answer here but I would be willing to bet that making some changes in your life would be a good place to start. I don't mean go and set a bunch of expectations that just add stress. I mean take some time to think of some changes you can make that will help put your mind at ease.

Some times those changes may even be lowering the bar for a while to allow yourself to de-stress. You may be in an environment that may not be suitable. Maybe you want to start doing something that you've always loved but never had the courage to do. Whatever you do just don't get into the headspace where all your doing is dwelling on the idea that your depressed. Life is hard enough without all the negitive self talk.

Good luck brother

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've struggled with this too over the years; it's a painful place to be, and it's been creeping back in lately as my life has been in a major turning point over the last year or so. I'm really glad you're reaching out. It was something I struggled to do when I was younger.

While I do not know the Meaning of Life, I know from experience that spending it paralyzed by depression and anxiety will surely render it quite meaningless. At some point, I listened really carefully to how I felt, reflected, then made the pragmatic choice to stop gazing into that vortex when it stopped me from living.

I choose to create meaning if I can't find it within myself. I just make something up to fill that void, I pick a direction, and listen very closely to how I feel as I explore that. As I start engaging in experiences again, my values eventually become more evident, and then I really know which way to go.

It takes some time and perseverance; it's hard to do this, to get out of reverse. It feels so right to keep gazing inward, and so wrong to try to believe in something I don't feel. But what I'm really doing to myself is as though I'm ripping apart a clock, trying to find the essence of time. In the end, I find I've destroyed the thing which had brought me closest to what I wanted to reach, and I feel terribly sad.

There are many beautiful truths within every one of us, aching to answer life's questions. It amazes me how left entirely alone, living things cannibalize themselves, yet when we let ourselves be part of the community of life, when we let it flow through us in our own special ways, we together create something vibrant and growing. Life is truly more than the sum of it's parts, and truth is in the living.

We INFPs have a gift for reflecting deep things about meaning in life, and I believe that makes the world a better place, if only we see that we aren't not the message, we breathe the world in, and breathe out our insight. If we find no meaning, it's not because we are empty, but because we are feeding on emptiness. When we find ways to see more than emptiness, we create the very meaning we all seek.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Eat Healthy.
Meditate.
Exercise.
Work towards a goal.
Stop only thinking about yourself.
Help others.
Surround yourself with
- people that are under you that you can help
- peers that are on the same level as you
- people that are better than you that want to help you

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Why is it that this type seems to get this more than others, is it because we are natural reflectors and often find ourselves ruminating on things in life and asking the deeper questions and plus we always seem to be asking ourselves what our identity is, and seem to be the kind of people that don't take society at face value.

I think there is a way out though and I remember growing up having lots of problems and things which held me back and I caught help and then when I was in a position to start living my life something else came along and ruined things for me , which was hard. What has worked for me is to like @yippy suggested asking yourself why you are going through it, I believe that things like this happen for a reason and I have noticed that life and other people like to throw things at us quickly and have us make decisions that will affect our lives there and then, though we are the kind of people that when we are struggling we need time to process and make sense out of what happened whenever tragedy strikes.

It might be a blessing that you are having this ordeal now, ask yourself the questions that @yippy said and if you can work out what the problem is at its root, then you might be able to move forward. I think sometimes in life we have to put ourselves first and work out and readjust our lives to suit us because after all this is our lives, I'm not saying that you can't think of others as you go though you can't live your life based on what someone else wants for you. Or what someone else thinks is right.

Working out your goals, and what your dreams and aspirations are could help, and don't be afraid to speak up and tell people what you really thin kf family or friends or people you work with are convincing you to do something with your life you don't like. Though saying that you don't give any reasons as to why you got so depressed and started thinking about these things to start with. That's perhaps what you need to address. I know for me I struggle when I'm not sure where my life is going or when things happen that are outside of my control that are bigger than I can deal with or that are traumatic , talking from experience. I often need time to work out and break things down and to deal with things at my pace without feeling rushed which is hard in today's world where everything is go go go constantly. Other things that helped for me are connecting with friends, not making any major decision in a haste, speaking my mind when i want to and need to, knowing what is and isn't my fault, because I've had a lot of problems in my life caused by things which i never could have seen coming before hand, it took me a while to realize yes actually i don't see the future so if trouble strikes o couldn't have known before hand, it takes a weight off my shoulders knowing that and reminding myself of that.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I have been dealing with this again since December. I just did about everything that has been mentioned in this thread, but it never feels enough. I've always felt like you can do about 75% of creating meaning and happiness yourself through your own accomplishments, friends, family etc ... but still need life to throw in that last 25% in whatever form that may be. I know for myself what that is, it is related to my dreams / life goals, but I have nowhere near full control on that. (or at least that's how I see it)

I don't solely believe that working hard pays off automatically, but it is very important to keep working on yourself and make progress each year. Work on your own 75% of meaning and happiness. Attend classes, work, save money, do sports, maintain your relationships and so on. Reach short-term goals, I usually take it 6 months at a time.

Why? You need that 75% of your own work (happiness and meaning) to find or create opportunities in life. Increase the chances yourself of finding that last 25% you've been looking for to create fulfilment and meaning. You do not want to regret the fact that you have been slacking off and therefor are unable to fit last 25% in your life when you find it or when it passes you by. For some this might be an ambitious job that is hard to get in to or a promising study that has limited spots available. For me it would be finding my long-term romantic lover, create a family, grow old together etc... I must make sure i'm ready when I find her right. :happy:

At this very moment I feel like I really need to work my ass off to graduate for my bachelors so I can go on with my life and open new doors, new opportunities. I feel like i'm stuck and need to pull myself out of it. It is good for myself, it is good for my future self and opportunities. Tomorrow starts the new semester at Uni for me, at this moment I do not have the time or resources to fit the last 25% of meaning and happiness in my life when I would find it next week for example. If I make sure I graduate next summer then I will be again.
I noticed that a lot of stress and pressure from uni/work help to distract me, even though it might not be the most healthy way to go about it, but I feel like I did all my thinking and attempts to understand my existential depression related troubles. I'm just frustrated and done with it, I use these feelings to push myself and work on myself.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Sometimes humans are so busy with the future and so occupied with creating a better future for ourselves, that we do not stop and appreciate the luck & happiness we have in the present moment.
This should be treasured quote! @yippy

I have had existential anxiety my whole life; however, it is not same as generalized anxiety disorder that is much worse. Being ea 6 (very much superego and very much in head triad) is not much helpful for existential anxiety but on the other side pushes you to seek solutions (fluctuations from phobic to counter phobic behaviors - avoidance versus encounter and solution seeking). Living in the present is still a struggle. Indulgences do not help. Spirituality might.

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
@A_doghouse_for_cats Thank you! I really appreciate that...you brightened my day :) Karma +1 for you.

I am sorry to hear you have had existential anxiety for your whole life, but my gut tells me better times are coming your way. You say that spirituality might help you with living in the moment and it sure can! Spiritualy can also answer your existential questions. You could look into soul-roles (what is the purpose of your soul) for example or find out about your spirit animals. Your spirit animals tell a lot about yourself (who you are) and what challenges lie ahead of you. Think about it.

·
Registered
302 Posts

What can I do ?
I recommend you read into some Schopenhauer and Nietzsche if you have the time. Schopenhauer may not be so apt in this situation, since a lot of his essays have made me feel particularly worse when it comes to the whole problem of existentialism. Nietzsche, on the other hand, bases some of his works upon Schopenhauer and devises a much better and healthier perspective. He has helped me to overcome a lot of the absurdity in existence.

Another way I have overcome this form of depression is by succumbing to the mundane. This is something I would not recommend. I say it's helped me overcome things, but at the end of the day, all it has desensitised me to the more important things within the universe. The vastness of the universe is terrifying and chaotic, and one of the ways us humans cope with that is by occupying ourselves with mediocrity.

What we should be doing is looking within ourselves. We should cultivate our own purpose. Try not to think about how meaningless life is, due to the lack of inherent value. Try instead to look within yourself to find what YOU would like to make of yourself. What you wish to achieve and master. What is important, at the end of the day, is your well being. I know it doesn't make any sense, and it doesn't, but it doesn't have to. What matters is that it's worth it. Is it worth being troubled by the absurd? Certainly not, because then you will live out your existence constantly fearful. There will be no time to live if we ponder like this.

For years, my dreams have played a massive role in my life, both in waking and sleeping terms. The dream worlds I encounter have helped me to discover my purpose here. These dreams must be documented one way or another, because I think the world could benefit from it. You too will find that in time. Just dedicate yourself to the cause you feel most strongly about, be it dreams, music, dance, art, construction, whatever it may be.

Always around if you need further guidance. Just an inbox away. I hope you find your purpose on this absurd journey we call life. :proud:

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
@A_doghouse_for_cats Thank you! I really appreciate that...you brightened my day :) Karma +1 for you.

I am sorry to hear you have had existential anxiety for your whole life, but my gut tells me better times are coming your way. You say that spirituality might help you with living in the moment and it sure can! Spiritualy can also answer your existential questions. You could look into soul-roles (what is the purpose of your soul) for example or find out about your spirit animals. Your spirit animals tell a lot about yourself (who you are) and what challenges lie ahead of you. Think about it.
Do you know a good test? According to one it is a swan (just one point away from a wolf) and according to another one a wolf. However, I do not like packs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Eat Healthy.
Meditate.
Exercise.
Work towards a goal.
Stop only thinking about yourself.
Help others.
Surround yourself with
- people that are under you that you can help
- peers that are on the same level as you
- people that are better than you that want to help you
Good advice.

Also, people come to this point in their lives-several times possibly-to bring about change. Rarely will greater self-realization come about without pain. It forces you to deal. In Buddhist thought, it is said to welcome problems-this is a chance to solve them-after all...and you will grow from it.

It is also helpful to realize that we are not our feelings and thoughts. Our essence is separate.

Think about it-and you will realize this. Those aspects of our personality/ego are only tools.

Lastly, a favorite quote from THE man...

You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Albert Camus

1 - 16 of 16 Posts