Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to have people highlight their experience with their cognitive inferior functions.
In my experience, I knew I had these "quirks", but then knowing about my cognitive preferences helped explain these to me in a more efficient manner.

I guess I'll start. An INTJ's inferior function is Extroverted Sensing.
Apparently from research, inferior extroverted sensing makes people uncomfortable with in-the-moment sensations and experiences. It also tends to make people overcompensate in terms of their performance, and in terms of giving people a good experience.

I've always been uncomfortable living in the moment. I don't pay much attention to my surroundings, and I am notoriously clumsy.
In PE class during high school, I would always trip on my own feet. At home, I would always be the one to fall down the stairs.
But actually deep down, I enjoy being the moment. In my Muay Thai lessons, I enjoy the rush of being in a fight. When it gets busy at work, I do my best work there.

I apparently also been told I dress better than what the occasion usually asks for.
I usually get made fun of for this. I know my brother often references me to his friends as the guy who "dresses like he has something important to do".
Even one of my college professors teased me in front of the other lecture students, how I'd wear my leather jacket to "over-compensate".
At my previous job, sometimes I would wear dress-shirts underneath my coveralls. Don't ask me why. I just felt more professional if I did so.
In my apartment, I also like aesthetics. My room looks a lot more formal than what a normal 22 year old male typically should have.

Also in terms of cooking, I generally dislike it. I feel like it is sometimes a giant waste of time. Therefore, I don't know a whole lot of recipes.
But when I actually do it, I get obsessed with finding the perfect recipe for whatever I am cooking.
Even if it is something as simple as cooking eggs. I will research the best ingredients to use, mix and match, find the ideal time to cook the eggs, add milk/butter/ various spices, etc. I will cook eggs every morning until I feel like I get it right.

What is your experience with your inferior function?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I usually score low in Fe and Se. Usually I end up being socially awkward, sometimes say stuff which hurts others feelings or catches their insecurity without realizing the effect of my words on their feelings until later, due to being a bit blunt. So I end up apologizing later when in private with the person. Although it can sometimes be intentional if I perceive that person as deserving of that.

As for Se, I have the moments when I am hyper aware of the surrounding when under stress. I also end up constructing my messy room in such a way that I won't have difficulty moving in the room to compensate for that. Other than that I am fairly clumsy although now I no longer trip over things due to me avoiding such situations. Now I had bad performances during PE or Karate classes often. So I usually avoid them nowadays unless necessary, since I am sure that I can't do well in those activities even if I did work out. Maybe mediocre at best.

·
Registered
INTP
4,235 Posts
As an INTP, my 4th function is Fe. I haven't learned to use it in ways that could help me or others. Mostly it just holds me back, e.g., being overly polite and avoiding conflict, instead of expressing myself or standing up for myself.

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
207 Posts
Even though I'm not totally sold on my type as an ENFP I can say without a doubt I have all the characteristics of an Inferior Introvert Sensing, from what I've read at least. Admittedly I know very little aside from stereotypes hahahaha
What I do know is that a dom Si sees the memories in their mind kinda like a map, they learn from experiences and act through the ones they've had. And I...well....do none of that hahaha
I struggle to remember anything after it has happened in a lot of situations because it simply doesn't really matter to me that much I guess. The things I remember are usually things I find funny, or sentimental.
It's honestly kind of annoying because 9/10 times I will not remember your birthday, what time we were supposed to meet at the party, or that any mundane thing you tell me. unless I really try and I mean really try. Even with my friends the little things I do know as the fact someone's favorite fruit is raspberries or that they've wanted a special thing for their anniversary. I really have to commit to that my memory, and I usually do it because my friends known I'm terrible at that kind of stuff, it's a way to show my friends that care about that stuff that I noticed and I remembered, even if it's not my strong suit.

Mostly it just holds me back,
I agree I hate dealing with my inferior function more than I have to. I understand that if I strengthen it, I could gain some superpowers hahahaha But I hate to use it at all, I think mostly because the only time I do use it is when I'm in grip and its a stressful experience through and through, and I honestly hate it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I've always been uncomfortable living in the moment. I don't pay much attention to my surroundings, and I am notoriously clumsy.
In PE class during high school, I would always trip on my own feet. At home, I would always be the one to fall down the stairs.
But actually deep down, I enjoy being the moment. In my Muay Thai lessons, I enjoy the rush of being in a fight. When it gets busy at work, I do my best work there.
My inferior function is Ni. Most of the time, I'd describe it as my inner heckler. When it comes time to do longer term planning, it's that paranoid part of me that assumes the worst. I'm not a fan but I have been looking at it more seriously and thinking whether it's ever been helpful. I think where normally Ni is too paranoid to be useful, but I think it most often shows up when I'm insulting people.

My answer to a guy who told me that I shouldn't underestimate him: 'It's impossible to underestimate you.'
My answer to a catcall to see a guy's dick: 'I'm sure it's one of life's little pleasures.'

I'm fast with insults when people piss me off.

ETA: I'm an ESTP, in case that wasn't obvious.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,548 Posts
I type as INFJ and my inferior function is Se. I suck at everything that is physical... I am bad at noticing physical details, and have poor body coordination in general. As a rule, my mind is never focused on the present moment.

I have some compulsions related to sensory pleasures. Sometimes I will indulge myself in lots of junk food, cigarettes and/or other addictions. Idk if other INxJs relate to this, but sometimes I feel a very primitive animal (my Se shadow) coming out of me and wanting to experience life to its fullest, but it doesn't manifest itself as something balanced or natural as it generally does to Se leads.

·
Registered
INFP 6w5 629
1,070 Posts
INFP's inferior Te
I become paralyzed and unable to do what everyone else would find reasonable. This ends when I obtain or reflect on my motivations to be able to put forth sacrifice.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5
44 Posts
My inferior function is Se. While researching, I found the following:

From INFJ Personality Type: Lover of Beauty & Wisdom | Personality Junkie

"INFJs report similar experiences with extended shopping excursions. While they may enjoy themselves for a while, sustained use of Se (i.e., browsing), combined with the noise and commotion of crowds, can result in a subconscious sensory overload or exhaustion that eventually catches up with them."

I finally understand why, even though I love shopping and spending time with people I like at Christmas time, I have always absolutely hated, despised and loathed Christmas shopping. It feels like having the life sucked out of me.

Thankfully there's online shopping now!

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5
44 Posts
I type as INFJ and my inferior function is Se. I suck at everything that is physical... I am bad at noticing physical details, and have poor body coordination in general. As a rule, my mind is never focused on the present moment.

I have some compulsions related to sensory pleasures. Sometimes I will indulge myself in lots of junk food, cigarettes and/or other addictions. Idk if other INxJs relate to this, but sometimes I feel a very primitive animal (my Se shadow) coming out of me and wanting to experience life to its fullest, but it doesn't manifest itself as something balanced or natural as it generally does to Se leads.
I, too, indulge in lots of junk food. Actually food in general is my favorite sensory pleasure. So is Diet Coke. For me, I wonder if food and DC are ways to numb out the sensory overload.

·
Registered
ISTP
431 Posts
Being territorial about solitary activities. I used to take this to mean introversion in general, but I think it's really inferior Fe. Can drop out for hours doing my own thing, and I guess the message has been heard because during those blocks of time, nobody calls or bothers me.

·
Registered
ISTP 6w7
417 Posts
My inferior function is Ni, I kinda use it only when it's important or doing tasks(especially when it comes to planning). Not too often because it makes me feel isolated and easily panicked about everything.

I know that I could easily just do things what's feels right for me and thinking that it will turned out as what I expected by improve every steps which I found it easier to do. (Se-Fi)

I use more of my Te and Ni when I'm making deep decisions and do tasks so I could finish it rather than jumping to other tasks and left the other one hanging.

Fear of being judged and the possibilities outcome could also happened when I'm on Ni loop. It's hard and drains me when I'm stuck with it too often.

In this case, I'd see clearly about mistakes that I've made and decisions that I left unfinished, leaving the real -life as I'm being isolated and think about the outcome and what I'm going to do about the situation and things and how to get rid of it.

Yeah, it sucks tho but I guess I'm use to it but using my inferior often could make my head hurts. But I try to balance it in order to see things clearly before making decisions and act but also not try to over step from my natural Se use.

ESFP (Se - Fi - Te - Ni)

·
Registered
377 Posts

I am not sure of my type. But I can relate to that too.

·
Registered
ISFP, 6w5 sx/so
2,478 Posts
I'm still on search of my own MBTI type, I'm still unsure to conclude between the choices of ISFP, ISTP or ISTJ, I am sticking with ISTJ for now.

From my understanding, inferior Ne will find It'self overcompensating by mostly trying to be "Creative", alas using fantasies as a form of escape because in the real world they live in is unable to provide them those fantasy fullfilments. With this in mind, inferior Ne will give an ISxJ a hard time to keep up with fast paced conversations with multipe people, because Ne is required to be used to be able to quickly think to what you want to say, since ISxJ's are rellying on their Si, to make sure whatever they say and do is structured, making them inflexible in many sitations, such as fast paced conversations as I mentioned.

Personaly this is how I view my own difficulties when it comes to societal situations. But I could also be an ISTP, for the main reason because I have hard time trusting my own Fe to follow my heart, and instead of using this opportunity, I overcompensate my Fe to get an emotional support, help, guidance and approval from others to be know that those my decisions to follow are reasonable and justified.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
ENFP, inferior Si. Yep, the theory seems to have truth in it - I barely notice or remember any details (yet I've never missed or been late to any meetings, gatherings etc) - they seem unimportant or even irrelevant to me, especially if they are mundane details. I'm unaware of my physical signals and prefer to ignore them up to the point where I can't discard them any more (for example, some pain or aching becomes too much to ignore it).

Give me mundane and boring tasks at work which don't make any sense and I can only handle it so much before getting frustrated - but fortunately I have to deal quite infrequently with such tasks at my work so I can manage them if needed.

I've set up some micro routines to place my keys, wallet and other important things to same place so I don't have to waste "memory slots" to memorize those facts. That has also helped to never lose those items.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'd say I have a good sense of it, I just don't use it to help others much (Fe) being the reserved person I am.

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
667 Posts
Inferior Fe

When I'm not making an effort to be pleasant I can come across harsh, blunt, and disagreeable, or just plain disinterested. Other times I care too much and it holds me back, like @islandlight said.

People often comment that I seem unenthusiastic. I tend to speak in a monotone voice and suppress my facial expressions. I also have a habit of stifling my laughter. I have to feel really comfortable to be expressive with my emotions and not hold back.

On the other hand, I consume a lot of hyper-emotional media from reality TV to horror movies to angsty music. It makes me feel, I guess. lol I also like listening in on gossip. You could say I live for the drama, although mainly as a bystander. I don't like getting involved.

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
667 Posts
I apparently also been told I dress better than what the occasion usually asks for.
I usually get made fun of for this. I know my brother often references me to his friends as the guy who "dresses like he has something important to do".
Even one of my college professors teased me in front of the other lecture students, how I'd wear my leather jacket to "over-compensate".
That was mean of your professor, but also hilarious.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts