Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The law of attraction immediately springs cliché and new age ideas to mind. Still, I remember a long time ago sitting on a beach reading a little red book from India that talked about similar concepts.

It blew my mind then. I kept hearing different versions over the years, and over the years I am surprised by the things that show up in my life. I have a number of theories on these events, including the law of attraction.

What experiences have you had with the law of attraction, and what have you made (if anything) of those experiences?

Given that the law of attraction is too subjective to be proven, it's assumed that this is a completely subjective topic which may neither be proven nor dis-proven, though ideas on variations of this law are welcome.

Reactions: username

·
Registered
790 Posts
Once i had an horrible desire, i was obssessed with it, tryed everything, so i used the law of attraction (the last resource), and then, i visualize myself doing what i desire and leave everything else aside... and you know what? it worked! i just walked into the toiled and the constipation went away.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The law of attraction immediately springs cliché and new age ideas to mind. Still, I remember a long time ago sitting on a beach reading a little red book from India that talked about similar concepts.

It blew my mind then. I kept hearing different versions over the years, and over the years I am surprised by the things that show up in my life. I have a number of theories on these events, including the law of attraction.

What experiences have you had with the law of attraction, and what have you made (if anything) of those experiences?

Given that the law of attraction is too subjective to be proven, it's assumed that this is a completely subjective topic which may neither be proven nor dis-proven, though ideas on variations of this law are welcome.
What is this 'little red book' you speak of?

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
Please don't take offense to my opinion, but I consider the law of attraction a dangerous philosophy because of the way it completely bypasses reason. I prefer to analyze the situations and events in my life using more of a psychological approach. For example, I look for the connection between self-esteem, actions and the outcome of events. For me, there's logical coherence in it, and I become increasingly self-aware.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've come to realise that every single scenario you envision does not happen. So I, being the logical being that I am, went ahead and envisioned every scenario I didn't want to happen.

The effectiveness of this method is currently being studied. It doesn't work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Please don't take offense to my opinion, but I consider the law of attraction a dangerous philosophy because of the way it completely bypasses reason. I prefer to analyze the situations and events in my life using more of a psychological approach. For example, I look for the connection between self-esteem, actions and the outcome of events. For me, there's logical coherence in it, and I become increasingly self-aware.
I completely agree. It's like trying to spot reduce body fat. It doesn't work. Something vague like attracting positive outcomes to your life requires an approach much broader in scope than merely "envisioning."

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Hmm... I think there is some validity in a very very very limited scope. For instance, I don't think you can just visualize piles of money and they will appear, but I do think you can practice happiness and become more happy. I recall reading a study where participants who smiled - even if they felt unhappy at the time of smiling - actually improved their mood through this gesture. Likewise, I think that if you are under the impression that something will occur, you may subconsciously take steps toward that thing happening. People have sabotaged their relationships by being convinced that their partner is cheating. Sometimes the irritated partner then goes out and actually cheats, thus confirming the partner's suspicions.

It does sound too much like Confirmation bias and for obvious reasons, does not work in all circumstances. But I'd say it probably works about as effectively as a placebo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Perhaps, imagining an positive outcome, would make the person work more towards that (hopefully) enjoyable outcome? If not consciously then unconsciously. Anything one does to make an desirable outcome clearer, would in my books increase the odds of said outcome.
So, I think it's correct. I do NOT however, approve the way that idea is conveyed. I'd imagine irrational people thinking it works and base their future actions on it without understanding what they're exactly doing.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The popularized mainstream presentation of this concept is unpalatable to me (wish your bills away, make water into wine etc), but I think there might be a grain of truth in it, atleast within the workings of the mind. My own "experiences" (if they can be related to topic) weren't apparent at first, only much later did I make the connections and reflect on the improbability. I had this idea in my mind of what sort of girl I wanted to meet (hair, body, temperament etc). I made a list and some time later, within a year, I met a girl that matched my list.

This has happened not once, but three times. Three out of a total of five important romatic interests in my life were essentially "wished for" (more or less specifically) by me and then "manifested". I suppose these "encounters" could be explained in purely psychological terms (unconscious behaviour, loose interpretation, inaccurate memory, coincidende, etc), even if so, it's still interesting. But it still feels improbable that just the right opportunities and just the right people appeared in my life, seemingly in response to "wishes" I had.

A curiosity of life. I can understand if some people interpret such events as evidence of a "law of attraction". But for some reason, I'm not comfortable with that specific idea. (In none of these cases was I aware of, or actively tried to invoke any metaphysical "law of attraction".)

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
People have sabotaged their relationships by being convinced that their partner is cheating. Sometimes the irritated partner then goes out and actually cheats, thus confirming the partner's suspicions.
The only time I've ever been tempted to cheat on anyone is when I briefly dated someone who (even though I was with him every minute) insisted I must be cheating on him. (I attributed this to the fact that he was a reformed "player" himself...)

I'm way too direct for that kind of thing. If I'm dissatisfied enough to cheat, you'll know it long before it goes that far...

Otherwise, I wish the Law of Attraction worked. Positive attitudes can only help in life, but they're not magic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is possible that people who visualize what they want are more motivated and therefore work harder to achieve. Apart from that it is rubbish, there's no mystical power that causes imagination to turn to reality. I've already said this in another thread but believing this is actually a symptom of mental disorders such as OCD and various forms of psychosis.

But there is some good to it, things like being optimistic do help people achieve more, plenty of people have written about this, but it doesn't work in the way that gimmicky "magic-fix" products like "The Secret" claim.

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
Law of attraction.. Lol, since when did this become a law?

I believe in quantum attraction I guess.. Funny how you think of a song you havent heard in years and of course you hear it that day... This in my opinion is either extreme intuition or a manifestation of some sort.. Nonetheless, there are things we cant explain, so we cant rule out attraction all together.

I remember seeing "the secret" and coupled with a spliff of Pre98 Bubba Kush, was one of the best times Ive ever had.. Such a neat concept.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I believe in quantum attraction I guess.. Funny how you think of a song you havent heard in years and of course you hear it that day... This in my opinion is either extreme intuition or a manifestation of some sort.. Nonetheless, there are things we cant explain, so we cant rule out attraction all together.
<3

Anyway I agree with others, that the "law" of attraction is blown out of proportion in the mainstream. But I don't see how anyone can question the power of setting specific goals, then moving towards them with confidence and a good attitude. Call it something else if you have to, like "being smart" or "thinking ahead."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts