Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your experiences have been with this type! I don't think I know very many of them, but there is one individual who I believe is one, and he and I have always had a strange relationship. Communication between us tends toward the reserved, or perhaps just confused - It feels like we're always trying to reach something or find some sort of key-hole to relating to one another and it's very difficult to do so, because we operate on completely different planes of thought and passion. But, despite that, there's a peculiar kind of connection that we both feel that always draws us toward one another and keeps us in touch despite that tension. Usually we end up defaulting to watching movies, or showing each other funny videos (usually led by him, because I don't spend much time on the physical-sensory stuff like that).
Do any other INFP's have experiences with relationships with ISTP's? Do you like them? Do you find it weird? Do you avoid them? What do you love and hate about them?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a close friend whos an ISFJ, we end up just watching videos online too. In some ways shes more introverted than I am, she needs even less social interaction than me, or maybethats just because shes very sheltered. Shes a lot more reserved than me, even though we're close friends and have known each other for years. Generally with my ISxx friends, we just end up either playing video games or watching stuff. Its hard to really talk to them about the deep topics INFPs enjoy talking about, but at the same time they're good company because they're very grounded and calm and they're better at keeping a conversation going without too many awkward pauses.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a close friend whos an ISFJ, we end up just watching videos online too. In some ways shes more introverted than I am, she needs even less social interaction than me, or maybethats just because shes very sheltered. Shes a lot more reserved than me, even though we're close friends and have known each other for years. Generally with my ISxx friends, we just end up either playing video games or watching stuff. Its hard to really talk to them about the deep topics INFPs enjoy talking about, but at the same time they're good company because they're very grounded and calm and they're better at keeping a conversation going without too many awkward pauses.
I have a lot of ISxx friends too. I find it very relieving, actually, to hang out with my S type friends after sustained interaction with N types, but particularly NF's.
Like, me and one good friend of mine are both INFP's. And we have very entertaining conversations that escalate quickly and nobody else can ever follow them, so we usually just end up hanging out alone, and we understand each other on such a fundamental level and it's great.
But for god sake, some times I just want to stop talking about the psychological impact of dating a guy who makes you brush your teeth immediately after eating your favorite food (everything bagels with onion herb cream cheese) because he only eats out of necessity and that's sad because food is really important to me and my enjoyment of it is evidence that i am alive. Sometimes I just want to have a goddamn snowball fight.

Reactions: Floatingnotthinking

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hehe, I can relate to what you said about ISTP's. I dated one for 2 months earlier this year.. and the kind of connection you described is very applicable to us too. It was always kind of strained.. but I think his auxiliary Se reeled me in, hehe. But I really got annoyed with the constant Ti-ing of my values and beliefs.. we would debate a lot, and I would ultimately "win", but it really is exhausting having to debate every single thing that just seems like common sense to me. I guess I don't have enough patience, but he did say he felt like a better person from knowing me.. so even though it wasn't that fun after the initial spark (I think Se and Ne are very compatible in a physical sense), at leaaaaast my suffering wasn't in vain, lol!

He was a lovely guy, don't get me wrong. I just don't want to hear the Ti analysis to everything. It highly irritates me, if it's about things that I find pointless and boring. :tongue:

Reactions: Meowmixmuffin

·
Registered
466 Posts
I know an ISTP and I like her a lot. She and I are both very smart, but we're smart in different ways. I think I would say that I'm more socially smart, but I think that she would say the same thing about herself. She's great at math, and I'm great at writing. We both suck at the thing the other one can do. She used to help me with math and I used to give her advice on essays.

We both love art and manga. I like to invent my own characters and sketch freely and imperfectly-- though I'm pretty proud of my art powers. She, on the other hand, usually bases her drawings off already-existing images and can re-create them almost perfectly. Very impressive, if a bit boring.

The main difference between our communication styles is that I exaggerate and she's very literal. She's also a lot more direct than I am, and a lot less passive-aggressive. I'm the sort to make a lot of empty threats at an enemy and she's the sort to actually follow through on them, trying to help me out. She can take a joke or a statement too far sometimes. She's a lot more honest and open than I am, and she's also braver and more fearless. I can pick up on social cues better, though.

I guess I don't connect to her in exactly the way that I connect to my INTJ and ISFJ friends, but we got super close in the time we spent together and in the end we were both sort of "mothering" the other. I felt sometimes like I had to look out for her and take care of her, especially in people situations, but I know that she felt the same way about me. Which is understandable, because I am frequently clueless.

Anyways, even though we were very different and our brains worked in completely different ways, we became close friends. I haven't seen her in awhile. I should call her.

Reactions: Meowmixmuffin

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a lot of ISxx friends too. I find it very relieving, actually, to hang out with my S type friends after sustained interaction with N types, but particularly NF's.
Like, me and one good friend of mine are both INFP's. And we have very entertaining conversations that escalate quickly and nobody else can ever follow them, so we usually just end up hanging out alone, and we understand each other on such a fundamental level and it's great.
I don't know any INFPs in real life. But what you have with your INFP friend, I have with my INTP friend minus emotional understanding (Because NT). I do have an ENFP friend; we also have awesome conversations but her Ne overpowers mine. I don't mind it though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts