Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi.
Another experiment to conduct with your help and answers! This again is a question to clarify Fe and Fi and where it stops to where it begins. I haven't done anything on Te or Ti even though I plan too, mostly because I'm not too certain on how they both work. That was irrelevant.. anyway..

My hypothesis:
Dom Fe and Aux Fe will prefer to attend to others whereby they do social favours such as ask questions aka harder to talk about themselves
Lower stack Fe will be more about themselves to engage others aka easier to talk about themselves
Dom and Aux Fi will find it harder to engage others completely, they will talk about themselves (not necessarily that they're selfish they just might find it harder to engage others without somehow pertaining to themselves such as through sentimental experience sharing) aka easier to talk about themselves
Lower stack Fi will talk about what they know (such as through social connections and efficient knowledge) to relate to the person aka harder to talk about themselves

I realise that this (lower stacks) kind of contradicts the true meaning of fe and fi. But I believe that lower fi engages other through what they themselves have or possess. Lower Fe uses themselves to relate to others. High Fe surrenders themselves completely to the other person's experience. High Fi surrenders to their own experience.

The question: Do You Find It Easier or Harder To talk About Yourself?

By the way, not in any way prejudice, just seeking truth behind the matter. Please do not do that thing where people try and influence the hypothesis or get offended by a hypothesis because you will make the experiment illegitimate to people's understanding. Otherwise, thanks for the responses

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Aux Fi here. I often engage with others or sympathise with someone by retelling my own experiences if they are similar. "Oh, I know how you feel because that happened to me too."

I don't dominate conversations though so more often than not I'm not talking about myself and I'm listening to them and their experiences. But if someone seems genuinely interested in me and asking questions then of course I'll talk about myself. I think part of that has to do with ennaegram type 4.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
INFJ or ENFP here.

It honestly depends on who I am conversing with and what we are talking about. I have the tendency to dominate a conversation when a topic of interest comes up, but I believe I do so tactfully, allowing others the chance to speak. When the conversation sort of hovers on small talk or what I deem uninteresting topics, I tend to zone out and become less involved in the conversation. I try my best to listen and engage, but I definitely speak a lot less if I'm not interested.

Basically it comes down to this ... I'd rather talk about ideas and concepts than myself. Honestly, I'd rather not talk about myself much at all, though I will if I trust someone enough with my thoughts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Aux Fi here. I often engage with others or sympathise with someone by retelling my own experiences if they are similar. "Oh, I know how you feel because that happened to me too."

I don't dominate conversations though so more often than not I'm not talking about myself and I'm listening to them and their experiences. But if someone seems genuinely interested in me and asking questions then of course I'll talk about myself. I think part of that has to do with ennaegram type 4.
Aux Fi too, and fully agree. :) Though I am not Enneagram 4. And I do in contrast talk about myself readily when with close friends.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a bit confused but I really want to answer haha...

I don't get it.
Forgot to reiterate the question.
Do you find it easier or harder to talk about yourself when talking with others?

What I meant by lower stack Fi is that they will never refer to themselves directly (will not say, "I hurt my hand on the stove yesterday" out of their own initiative) only what they understand. For example, "my friend Sam is a bricklayer and said this kind of material is the most sturdy" kind of thing.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
INFJ or ENFP here.

It honestly depends on who I am conversing with and what we are talking about. I have the tendency to dominate a conversation when a topic of interest comes up, but I believe I do so tactfully, allowing others the chance to speak. When the conversation sort of hovers on small talk or what I deem uninteresting topics, I tend to zone out and become less involved in the conversation. I try my best to listen and engage, but I definitely speak a lot less if I'm not interested.

Basically it comes down to this ... I'd rather talk about ideas and concepts than myself. Honestly, I'd rather not talk about myself much at all, though I will if I trust someone enough with my thoughts.
Hmm. That's tricky. I think you're an infj if I had to interpret. So I'll look at you're thing as an fe standpoint

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Do you find it easier or harder to talk about yourself when talking with others?

What I meant by lower stack Fi is that they will never refer to themselves directly (will not say, "I hurt my hand on the stove yesterday" out of their own initiative) only what they understand. For example, "my friend Sam is a bricklayer and said this kind of material is the most sturdy" kind of thing.
Going by your examples I've found that I do both.

I find it easy to express myself and talk about myself but if I talk about anything personal I will regret it later... and the cycle continues. :p

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I'm either aux or tert Fe. I find it extremely hard to talk about myself. I don't know where I should even begin. lol
What does it even mean to talk about myself? My Actions? What I do? What I want? What I believe?
Now that's.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Well...I just find it harder to talk about myself in general, since I'm pretty private and find that my feelings/experiences aren't really that other person's business. Then again, It's not that I even care about what the other person is saying either 100% of the time. My external empathy is not that developed- I'm good at listening, but less interested in comforting.

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
I disagree

Unhealthy Dom or Aux Fe is going to monopolize quite a bit of conversation talking about themselves. Apparently you have not met an unhealthy FJ

I talk about myself a lot on line.
That is just to vent out that need because I do not do that in everyday life generally.

I am far more quiet and reserved socially then any FE dom and aux I know
Even the healthy ones. Irl.

BUT I definitely agree I do use myself to relate when I decide to. I.e. A story or experience but I use that as a bridge to relate and tend to ask questions to validate too

I would like to state I have had validating training which is heavy NFJ philosophy
I like most of it btw I think it's one of the best formats I have had to endure for silly workshops.

But one thing which is really funny about it.
It's always always a wonderful NFJ leading the seminary.
They talk at you while teaching you not to talk at people.
The irony in them being masters of identifying this in others but not themselves is HYSTERICAL
:laughing:

You are correct that I try and relay my experiences to relate at times but I actually stole the NFJ book and learned to utilize some of their own techniques and others. NFJs could stand to learn other types technique too. Otherwise they come off preachy and talking at people.

I find it moderately easy to talk about myself.
I tend to be able to share a shared experience with someone when relevant.
I do tend to read my environment tho and determine if it's desired.
I have to have a topic or situation at hand to do this tho.
I never can answer those general questions which are so open ended all that great.
Eh yes no does not apply here and no one has given any premises to ride off of

I do not share my feelings as easy however. I have to feel comfortable with someone to do that.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i talk about myself when i don't know what to talk about, and i don't find it hard

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Well, Fi-dom. I think talking about myself is more natural. I like to hear about other people, a lot, and I tend to ask a lot of questions - but, I do struggle with knowing how to respond, thinking of follow-up questions, and whatever. I just feel awkward.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I find it easier to talk about myself when I'm asked direct questions. When people say, "tell me about yourself", I never really know what to say.

When talking to people I don't know, I don't really talk about myself too much in the beginning. I'd rather get to know them a bit better before I start disclosing more than just the basics about myself.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This question is hard to answer without going into the topics of different conversations. Generally, I find it easier to talk about myself, but it's probably significantly more difficult for me to talk about myself when the conversation is about weaknesses, private matters, etc.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Inferior Fe.

I'm not one to start conversations and mostly when I talk, the other person is the one who approaches me.
If they ask me about myself, well sure. I'll go along with it.

If it's about my feelings though, I tend to just go with the classic words of, "I'm fine," and leave it at that. Or say something negative over something trivial. ("The line in the bathroom was way too long. . .") Deeper feelings on more important matters I tend to hide with most people in real life.

I'm more interested in talking about nerdy interests in real life and if I find someone who wants to listen, I get pretty happy and tell them all about it. That is, if I'm not in the mood to want to be alone. Which is very often. . .

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I think it's flipped; Fe types are more of an "open book" than Fi types, so they're prone to sharing information about themselves to others more often. I for one definitely talk about myself to others; I'm not extroverted, and I don't dominate the conversation by any means, but I do prefer to talk about myself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts