Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who I sincerely believe is an INFJ. She isn't into personality types or even psychology in general so I couldn't get her to take the test, but the INFJ profiles I've read describe her quite accurately: she's warm, caring, emotionally sensitive, artistic (she dresses well and she also plays the piano beautifully), a linguist, well-loved by others, etc.

True to her personality type, she becomes a counselor of her friends, including me. I've been trying to explain how intuition affects my life as an INTJ so that she could help me. But since INTJs already have difficulty explaining things, I've had my hands tied even tighter when trying to explain intuition :shocked:. I've been trying to illustrate--in my usual INTJ way (Te)--how intuition fits into my life but I don't seem to be getting across. I find it a bit strange because she's supposed to be intuitive as well. Maybe it's because her intuition is more expressed through Fe? Or maybe it's because Ni is somehow manifested differently between INTJs and INFJs? Should I give her a list of examples on how she uses Ni as an INFJ?

Please help me explain intuition to my INFJ friend.

Thank you :laughing:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've told her that

I've told her that already. Please understand that she, by decision, isn't so open to psychology (that may also be Ni at work). When I use such terms, she can't relate to me much.

But God bless her, she's a really great friend :crying:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Pre-knowledge without a cited source.

Those random "Ah ha!" moments also count.

That darn feeling when you just know something is going to happen, good or bad.

Mother's intuition by example of knowing when her child is in danger. The eyes in the back of one's head.

I'm just throwing things out there.... :unsure:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure she's INFJ? Maybe she is ENFJ? INFJs I've known IRL are most intrigued by psychology. When i first found out about MBTI, I had no idea what it was, but because it was about psychology/personality, I was immediately drawn. I'm not that interested in psychology as an academic field/career either. ENFJs I've know IRL haven't been too into this. Even after they take it, they get into it for a few minutes, and then it's something they don't give much thought to. Or maybe INFP? many of my INFP friends IRL are artistic/dressed well, whereas INFJs tend to put less focus on clothes (i think more of the focus is on being well-groomed/somewhat coordinating, but not necessarily welldressed)... idk, just taking some stabs on this... and making gross generalizations i know.
Yes, she's INFJ. She's definitely not an extrovert. And by well-dressed I mean elegant and simple, not the "fabulous" type. She's also a bit too realistic to be an INFP (no offense to the INFPs out there).

My friend is just not into MBTI because she thinks some people (whom she loves) are rather obsessed with it. But she's definitely prone to a lot of introspection. She probably would be into MBTI if she didn't feel so hurt about what she thinks people have suffered from it. She doesn't say it but she seems to think that her friends who like reading up on personality types are hurt by it. (Sigh) It's a long story...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
people's intentions and motivations.
Ahhh, that's a great insight. We were actually talking about my intentions. I was telling her that just because I use a lot of intuition in my actions doesn't mean my actions are devoid of the intentions I want them to have, i.e., I can have the right intentions even if I make decisions very quickly. Tell me please, is that a wrong notion entirely?

Hmmm maybe she has some gut feel about my intentions that I don't know of...

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
As a very visual person I like this website because it has pictures \o/
Fundamental Nature of the MBTI

The first picture illustrates intuition pretty well. A mind of a sensor will place great value on all that his or her senses are able to pick up. Hence on first picture you see all those circles that represent physical objects in bright red, but the arrows that connect the objects are very light. This is what the world of sensor looks like. For mind of a sensor the physical is mostly what exists out there and surfaces of things are emphasized and given a great value.

For somebody who is more intuition oriented, their mind will place value on the connections between the things that their senses can pick up, the context those objects exist it. Hence in that first picture you see the lines that lead from one circle to the next are being emphasized, while circles are dimmed on the background. In world of dominant intuitive all objects are interconnected to each other. The objects themselves that sense pick up are of little value to mind of intuitive, but connections is what is emphasized and given great value.

Intuition is simply a process that establishes cause-effect relationships between things that a person has sensed. There is nothing voodoo, psychic, or irrational about its workings. It also assigns probability to each cause-effect relationship established, such that if you observe same thing again and again and again it allows you to detect patterns (a trait which has been pretty significant over the course of human evolution). Introverted intuition dominant people excel at predicting trends, seeing patterns, and detecting complex cause-effect relationships that are not readily apparent to other people. As such, insurance companies love hiring us \o/

Intuition cognitive process is not something that a person is able to consciously control at all time. When you are studying something, attention of your intuition is probably almost fully oriented at that particular subject. However, as you go about your everyday life it will also be randomly working, picking up whatever your senses pick up and making those things click together whether your want it or not. Intuitive processes can apparently be also active when people are sleeping. This is responsible for INFJ phenomenon of 'prophetic' dreams.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I've told her that already. Please understand that she, by decision, isn't so open to psychology (that may also be Ni at work). When I use such terms, she can't relate to me much.

But God bless her, she's a really great friend :crying:
What is she into other than the piano. Intuition has been around how should I say it way before psychology. Some bases as to what she is interested in may help to explain better as to how Ni operates. Also Ni is also tailored to the individual as you mentioned she may use Ni/Fe combo more heavy than Ni/Ti or Ni-Fe-Ti or Ni-Fe-Ti-Se. So you believe she leans on Ni/Fe more so?
Is there a bases as to needing to explain Ni to this lady?

Also if she is an INFJ trying to change her mind once it is made up, Good luck with that one!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I third the notion bring on the Metaphors. There's nothing like a good Metaphor, it's to early for me to add one as of now.

Thank you Vel for pointing out once again that there is nothing irrational about intuition. Saying Intuition is irrational is just a way to explain Intuition to heavy T user's.

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
I'm with the use of metaphors.
Don't speak technically.
Quit thinking too hard on it.
She is not interested, so don't push it.
Relax
Give her time to think about what you have said.
She may very well ask after you stop talking about it.
The above is just my opinion.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Thank you Vel for pointing out once again that there is nothing irrational about intuition. Saying Intuition is irrational is just a way to explain Intuition to heavy T user's.
On some MBTI theory website the perceiving processes like intuition and sensing are called 'irrational' cognitive functions. However I find that definition confusing because most people will read it and think that intuition is something that cannot be understood, some sort of esoteric process that functions outside of reason. While in reality it is a process that everybody uses to some extent or another to think and reason about the world around them. INxJs and ENxPs just use it most of all the people.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I think the way to open her up to the MBTI theory is may be describe some of the 'symptoms' of workings of Ni - like feeling very strongly something is right, or feelings you can understand a lot of things, or feeling those 'vibes' that you cannot easily explain to others, not paying a whole lot of attention to physical surface of things like people's appearance but valuing their 'content', their personality very highly, etc. So many be tell her more of INFJ traits? If she is able to relate to these 'symptoms' this information will probably catch her interest more.

·
Registered
🌈🎹☮ INFJ 666 sx/sp 🇺🇸💃🏻💋
3,464 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. I recently tried to describe Ni to my ESTJ husband. That was a conversation worthy of youtube. He kept asking me for lottery numbers. LOL

1 - 20 of 35 Posts