Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a good chance to explain how your INFJNESS effects how people misread or misunderstand you .

Guess I'll go first

Im not afraid or intimidated by people.I don't make eye contact a lot of times because I see sometimes that it makes people uncomfortable.I don't say much but Im not insecure. If I sit and stare at a wall or walk around with my head down looking at the ground a lot it's not because Im sad it's because I can get deeper into my thoughts without being distracted by what Im seeing.Im humble my self esteem is fine .I've been violent and hurt people but only when they have hurt someone that I love . If you want a good answer to a good question ask me the day befor you need it.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Here is a good chance to explain how your INFJNESS effects how people misread or misunderstand you .

Guess I'll go first

Im not afraid or intimidated by people.I don't make eye contact a lot of times because I see sometimes that it makes people uncomfortable.I don't say much but Im not insecure. If I sit and stare at a wall or walk around with my head down looking at the ground a lot it's not because Im sad it's because I can get deeper into my thoughts without being distracted by what Im seeing.Im humble my self esteem is fine .I've been violent and hurt people but only when they have hurt someone that I love . If you want a good answer to a good question ask me the day befor you need it.
This sounds a lot like a conversation I had with a former roommate. I explained my lack of eye contact and looking at the ground as being deep in thought, but then sometimes, we would play Super Smash Brothers, and I would act every bit as extroverted as anyone. Recently, when I went to visit him, I just acted like I did when we played video games throughout the entire visit and then used Ni on the way back home.

Lack of eye contact can also make some people uncomfortable. Don't forget that, and remember that just because you are an introvert doesn't mean that you can't do it when it would benifit you. If you are having an interview, for example, I think it would be better to "conform" instead of trying to explain that you are an INFJ and what that means. This is something that I have personally worked on, and I've gotten better at it.

It is possible for INFJs to do things that come more naturally to other personalities when necessary. We have such insight that we can know what to do, but our feelings may hold us back if we let them. We may let idealism get in the way and think that we can explain introversion and that people will understand it, and many of these people may not be very interested in what we are saying, in which case our explainations are pointless.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
It's complicated..
I've actually used this explaination too.

Recently, I've told some people that interact with regularly that I have been doing personality research and that's why I'm acting so differently.

They ask me to explain, I say, "It's complicated. I don't think you would understand it unless you're very familiar with Myers-Briggs."

My next door neighbor wanted more...I tried to explain that introversion is not the same thing as being shy, although I have been shy. So basically, I said nothing, because introvert or not, he was right...I have been shy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts