Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need to express more joy in life.

Can't do it with drugs or drink. BTDT.

I think I need to counteract my cynicism and dourness.

They no longer suit me.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Smile, and try to be selfless.
See what keeps you alive besides drugs or alcohol.
Is there something in this world that you especially love (Again, excluding drugs or drink.) or get especially hyped or get that feeling of adrenaline for?
Do you marvel at the beauty of nature, a great piece of machinery, or intriguing information?
I think the first step is to find something that you love or cherish. Exclude alcohol and drugs.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Smile, and try to be selfless.
See what keeps you alive besides drugs or alcohol.
Is there something in this world that you especially love (Again, excluding drugs or drink.) or get especially hyped or get that feeling of adrenaline for?
Do you marvel at the beauty of nature, a great piece of machinery, or intriguing information?
I think the first step is to find something that you love or cherish. Exclude alcohol and drugs.
What you are describing is basically my son, and conflicts with his mother are a big part of what's keeping me dour.

I suppose I need a hobby.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Focus on the positives and refuse to dwell on the negatives, as negatives always drag you down, but happiness is truly a choice.

With your son, you are in it for the long haul.

Seek open and trusting communication with him.

Don't discuss the negatives of your relationship with his mother *This is important*

Refuse to get into battles with her. It is better to quietly acquiesce after stating your opinion. This is karma and it will come around.

Make sure your times with your son are enjoyable. It doesn't have to be thrilling Six Flags fun, but it does need to feel connected.

If he feels that you truly care for him, your relationship with him will be the best it can be.

This doesn't mean that you are the candy man, but that you really seek what is best for him.

Don't grow weary in this--Again, you are in it for the long haul.

Didn't mean to inundate you with advice. :blushed:Being a dad is the highest calling a man can have. I feel very strongly about a dad's role and his relationships with his children.

HTH

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Yup.You need a hobby. Only you can say what this should be.

In the short term, however, adrenaline is good: do a tandem skydive or something. I reckon the adrenaline release must be akin to ECT.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Practice smiling in front of a mirror. For most of my life I never could smile, even when I was genuinely happy. It was upsetting to me and to other people. I eventually practiced smiling when I was alone, and now find that it is one of my favorite things to do, and a very easy way to make yourself feel better. The practice of smiling not only makes other people feel happy, but it can actually stimulate endorphins through association. It feels stupid and pointless at first, but give it a month and you will most likely notice a dramatic difference in the way you experience life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.