Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like my freshman year of college is causing my personality to change. I'm in a mixed I/E state that I will try to describe:

In general social situations, I'm pretty reserved. Not shy, I just like to get a feel for other personality types before I jump in and reveal too much of myself. But since being here it's almost like, as soon as I encounter someone else who might be NT or NF I'm really eager to show them I am too and find some meaningful connection, so I pretty much turn on the E.

Since I noticed this my freshman year of high school too, I'm wondering if this is a common phenomenon:

INFPs functioning as ENFPs to attract complimentary personality types, typically revealing way too much about themselves in an effort to create a strong human connection, and then (i predict, from past experience) retreating a bit and remaining close with whoever sticks around?

·
Registered
431 Posts
You're probably like me... I'm an introvert, but I'm definitely not shy. I expel energy when I socialize... and I feel most comfortable alone to regain my energy than having a conversation just for the sake of having conversation with another person, not matter how interesting the topic.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Are you familiar with the cognitive functions? They are the ideas that MBTI are built on, actually. INFPs use Fi, Ne, Si, and Te, in that order.
You might just be developing or refining Ne (extroverted iNtuition), your secondary function. That usually happens in the teens to early 20s. Ne seeks stimulation, even social interaction, and gets really excited by novelty. I can attest that my Ne is very active right now, and I entered college last year. It helped being around people that appreciated my skills.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I can certainly turn it on like a light switch, usually when things would be mind numbingly boring otherwise. However, unlike true extroverts, it will drain me over-time.

I remember my first year in University I was chatting it up with everyone. My first class with this one teacher, I had my feet up on the table, just relaxing, and as she walked in I said "Hi there! How has your first day been?" She responded politely and with a smile. Ever since that day I became her "favorite", just for that simple line. Even 4 years later she told me about it in private and how she still fondly remembered our first meeting. Honestly, I was surprised.

Outside of that, I turn on the E switch the most when I'm with women. While I consider myself confident (compared to most people), I know that most women are particularly down on themselves. To compensate for that, I just overload them with positive feelings and energy to offset any insecurities so the day rolls a lot smoother.

To sum, I can E it up with a group of people that are strangers to each other, or with 1:1 interactions with women. However, I will reach into the deepest depths of 'I' if I'm the newcomer and I'm interacting with a group that already knows one another. There was one girl I really liked back in University that I couldn't approach for the life of me, because she was like genetically attached to 2 other girls at once (always together). The worst part is that I -knew- she liked me, but I couldn't overcome the hurdle of soloing against 3 people at once. This is why most guys need a wingman.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I cannot tell you how many co-workers or classmates or friends of friends are honestly surprised when they learn that I'm an introvert to the point that I feel Very Uncomfortable in group environments with more than a handful of people. "But you're such a people person!" is what I hear all the time.

I will join in conversations, try to make others more comfortable and engage with several different people or small groups throughout the night/encounter. The thing is, while it appears like I'm doing great and truly engaging with a lot of different people all at once, I really am focusing on one to five people, though five is a stretch for me. After a while, I will excuse myself to grab something from my purse, get another plate or drink, go to the bathroom, whatever, and use those moments of alone time to re-center myself. After that I will often interact with another group of people because I overhear part of their conversation or they hail me or something like that. However, I do get drained at least a good two hours before the rest of the crowd is starting to feel how late it is getting. If I don't pay enough attention to this and find a place to get out of the noise and smells and people, then I can get nauseas, headaches or even start to feel like I'm going to pass out, though luckily I've never actually gotten to the point of passing out except when it's already been arranged for people to stay overnight at things like New Years parties or what not.

So, yeah, I can put on a great show of being an E, but it isn't my normal and preferred way to function and so I get drained easily and it can turn rather unpleasant after a while.

I think every person is capable of acting as an E or I, it's just a matter of which one is our natural tendency.

Reactions: Lad
1 - 5 of 5 Posts