Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about my thought process (METATHOUGHT!) and the things I'd like to accomplish in life, and it occurs to me that I'm possibly very concrete-oriented; In debates or reading, I HATE very generalized theorizing, especially with no real-world basis; I hate reading philosophy unless there's a very grounded connection to history or politics to validate it (Reading Baudrillard was a nightmare). I imagine a lot of possibilities and have a very vivid imagination, but I constantly crave new things to read and taste and do to enrich that inner landscape.

Is this because my intuition (Ne) is extraverted, or because I'm some kind of sensor? (I'd have to seriously rethink how I take these tests haha).

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'd look more into your P vs. J mechanic I think. Don't get me wrong N vs. S would have effects like that too, but I think it sounds more "J" rooted to me. I'm not real good at typing other people on the internet unless I get LOTS of information on them. I usually read body language and vocal intonations and things like that. All I know was that all I used the tests to do for myself was confirm what I already knew. When I read ENTP ... I KNEW ENTP. I got a few professional opinions, a few student opinions, took a few internet tests ... they ALL said ENTP. I've never had any doubt, so I don't really have personal experience with the whole "exploring your type" thing.

Reactions: Dark Romantic

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hmm.

I'm quite happy in the world of the abstract. But there are many flavours of ENTP, maybe you're closer to INTP, where the Ti is stronger, maybe you're near the N vs. S divide? Maybe you just find philosophy boring?

In terms of wanting things to mean something, that has come out in my life choices. There are times when I get fed up of people just talking about stuff and wish they would do it....although usually that is when I have noticed people are talking about stuff as a substitute for doing it, and thinking they are doing it/have done it.

I'm not very J, though. I just want to call people on their bullshit.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I was thinking about my thought process (METATHOUGHT!) and the things I'd like to accomplish in life, and it occurs to me that I'm possibly very concrete-oriented; In debates or reading, I HATE very generalized theorizing, especially with no real-world basis; I hate reading philosophy unless there's a very grounded connection to history or politics to validate it (Reading Baudrillard was a nightmare). I imagine a lot of possibilities and have a very vivid imagination, but I constantly crave new things to read and taste and do to enrich that inner landscape.

Is this because my intuition (Ne) is extraverted, or because I'm some kind of sensor? (I'd have to seriously rethink how I take these tests haha).
Nothing you've said so far seems to make me think you aren't an ENTP. Theories are interesting, and quite fascinating, but ultimately for many of us, our place is in the world, spreading these ideas and making them real.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,856 Posts
I HATE very generalized theorizing
That bit there sounds like the Anti-Ne(Ti) to me. It's all about theorising, the more possibilities the better and being grounded in reality isn't important until it becomes time to pick an option to put into action... which may never come!

Do you relate to Se at all? Many ExTPs consider themselves to have good access to Ne and Se, as I don't my personal perspective is they mix the meanings but I only have my own subjective view to consider that through so accept I may be wrong on that.

As someone who has previously mistyped myself my advice is to pay attention to the areas of discrepancy over the similarities, if you keep looking at ENTP patterns and have to find ways to justify why it doesn't fit the simplest answer is likely true: not ENTP. And keep in mind most people will tell you why you fit, not why you don't.

If you typed as ENTP and you're now questioning that look first at ESTP and ENTJ, with ENFP and INTP as a less likely option due to the shared functions.

·
Registered
597 Posts

What you described here sounds very like me and sure it doesnt confirm you sensor.
Many people apear like other MBTI type when retested after couple months ( interpreting MBTI results show strong Barnums effect: like with horoscopes). I cant say if you are sensor or intuitive.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Hahaha well I have no Se AT ALL. I have very strong Si though.
If you had strong Si you wouldn't have strong Ne at the same time because Ne crashes down Si frameworks and Si ties down Ne exploration.

Ne sees what literally is as suspect. Ne feels like there's always something behind the curtain, a bigger truth out there to be discovered.

Se studies what things are. It does not add on its own internal conceptions, but studies things on their intrinsic properties.

Ni... I don't know enough about Ni to help describe it.

Si identifies its idea of what something is as reality. This fabric is not smooth because smooth is the best way to describe the touch of it (that would be more Se), it is smooth because it feels like silk, and silk is a smooth thing. Now if you extrapolate this sort of process to non physical things, Si can easily deal with abstract subjects, and in a Si dominant it indeed does.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts