Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your experiences when you were an introvert forced to socialize and maybe even thought you were an extravert? Or maybe you're an extravert who doesn't have friends (me) for several reasons and had to learn to be alone?

I think the first example is more common in US and Canadian societies, but i'd like to hear from all of you no matter which one. What does being forced to be what you are not feel like in this case?

Reactions: Electra

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I can fake "extroversion" for several hours and socialize. I've even been mistaken for an extrovert once or twice.
But after a long day socializing I need a few hours of to relax. It feels like I've run a marathon at the end of the day.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Don't confuse extraverted behaviour with extraverted personalities. Anyone can be outgoing and social and anyone can be reclusive and a loner. Sure, some types are more likely to be sociable than others, but MBTI extraversion doesn't just change if your behaviour does.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I work in care and I'd say 75% of my colleagues are ESFJs, second most common is ESFP, then I have a few ISFJs and ISTJs that I work with. I much, much prefer working with the introverts! I like the ESFx's, they're great workers and fun, I just prefer the slower pace with the IxxJ's and that they're more comfortable in silence but still as helpful. I work a 6 week rolling rota and I have an awful 2 weeks where I work Wed-Sun one week, Mon-Fri the next, so 10 days in a row, and by day 7 I'm almost in tears because I just want a day at home all to myself! I barely initiate conversation by this point and my patience is wearing thin by then but I have to force myself to be cheery and helpful and it makes me want to cry lol. My job is working with people and for people and though I really enjoy it, by the end of the shift I just go home and chill by myself.

We went out for a staff Christmas meal and I was the only introvert there. They were all laughing and joking and whilst I can join in, I prefer to sit and have a chat with one person or just watch from the sidelines, so I always feel really rude, and I do get the "are you okay?" question quite often because I'm much more reserved than them :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tend to stay away from people out of personal choice, a lot of people end up thinking i'm super shy or something and get surprised when I can hold a steady conversation. I've never really enjoyed being forced into some kind of group (although there are rare cases where i'm all for it, like in some sort of team vs team game) and still heavily prefer being on my own when I can, because being around people I don't choose to be around seriously irks me even if there's nothing wrong with those people. I pick and choose my social activities so I don't end up being an emotionally drained, tired, asshole all the time so it really fucks with me when I suddenly have to put some sort of effort into socializing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There’s definitely been many social situations where I have relied on my auxiliary Fe to a great deal. Especially when I’m hanging out with my more Extroverted friends. Or when I’m going out to parties and events in college. But I’m sure I’m an introvert because that after a while drains my energy and I need to retreat into myself and recharge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
ESFJ
486 Posts
Well, since I was a child, I was being told that I have to socialize and that socializing is normal, but I would not call it being forced to be extroverted, since I still eventually decided to socialize on my own, I just had more pressure in my life.

On the other hand, being atypical ISTJ, I am now extremely social due to noticing that I have passion for knowing about human in general, where knowing for the sake of it, meaning that I currently have analytical approach to socializing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts